How often do you have to replace the water in a wc system??

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
do u have to replace the water?? if so how often? or can u just add more additives etc?? and how do you remove the water when you do?

thanks

bLAKEpERKINS

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
Never, difference between having to do sumthing and you must do sumthing. just treat it like your cars water, if it gets low it will stop working

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Do watercooling systems even use water?... as in di-hydrogen monoxide? I was under the impression they used a special coolant of some sort. One that wasn't electrically conductive in the event of a leak. You may want to check in on that before you go replacing the fluid in your cooler.

-mcg

Kurz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Non conductive Fluids are worse performing!
Most Water Cooled systems use Distilled water along with anti corrosive and anti Bio additives.
You might think OMG WATER + Electricity = BAD!

Water that has suspended ions like Salt, Calcium, pretty much anything that comes out've your Tap is electricaly conductive.

In http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums There have been some people who have a leak and have all their componets drunched in water with the system still running. They just calmly turned off the computer fix the leak, let it dried for a day or so and their systems were up and running again.

Let me say again Distilled water IS good, however make sure to clean up your Water blocks, Radiators, pump, tubing, hell everything with Distilled water and alcohol 90% or higher consintration.

No matter how many people say use Vinegar to clean... Dont listen... It makes Oxidies on all of your copper parts. Vinegar = acid = bad

Kurz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
It depends mainly on how good the tubing you get.
If you get Trygon you dont need to worry about refilling the water so often. Maybe once every 3 months.

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
good non conductive fluids could do a good job,
as always, there are good and bad non conductive fluids.
but there is only one kind of water H2O
so, if you get a good non-conductive fluid, it can even perform better than water.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Water cooled for 3 years now, Buy coolant restorer or coolant additive from any auto dealer. I have never change my water, 1:1 mixture.

the air flow and temps in the case will determine the ofteness of refill. The cooler the case the less you will need to refill. My reservoir has not had to have a refill with my home built wooden hillbilly box.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
hmmm ic, but lets say i want to change the water for whatever reason.. does that mean i have to take it all out, or is there another way?

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
yes, but if your hoses are long enough move the water pump clear of the computer components than you can take the hoses off the water pump saving the process of unmounting the cpu block.

mrmez

Splendid
I change my water every 1-2 months or so, only cos ive got nothing better to do and its really easy.

Ive got my rez @ the heighest point, and a filler port on a t-line @ the lowest.
I just put a jug under the 'filler' port, open it, and all the water comes out :D
Then close it up, fill my rez to 100% and turn on. YAY its done.
Air bubbles mean the rez (600ml) is about 400lm full once it settles down. The whole thing takes less than 5min.
I just run car coolant mix, just until it looks nice and green.
A regular change can help keep junk in the loop to a min.

Kurz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Out've all the reviews I've read for Non-conductive fluids they all had problems.

1. Many Non-conductive fluids left residue on the equipment. Like this http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=363
Granted it wont leave a residue so soon after putting it in the loop... But eventually.

2. They started to lose their consistancy.

Water is one of the most thermaly absorbant substances due to the fact of their hydrogen bonds.

There is a reason why the Carribean doesnt get fried off the face of the planet... Water moves the heat from there to the rest of the world.

Its going to be hard to beat water, and only a 3M product that costs 1,000 bucks a liter can beat water.

ANOTHER THING AdamBomb42 ... They never state the Ambient Tempture in either reviews. They dont produce Delta temps (The temp between Idle and Load temps). Nor do they state which waterblock they used. In other words a crappy review. The tests could've been done all on one day from 12 noon to 12 at night the temp difference would be huge.

Distilled water is still one of the best thermally conductive fluid that flows one of best.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
True however an additive is necessary for algae build-up, I remember the days of the waterfountian chiller, I did not add anything just plain water, a few months later my display showed my rpm of the WP was way down. Slime like snot had clogged my pump motor. I went with high quality coolant restorer seemed to work.