Active desktop recovery and pop ups

The workstation having wind 2k boots up and throws active desktop recovery
screen immediately, and some explorer.exe exception in the winnt directory.
Clicking OK in that alert window starts throwing a lot of pop ups. Is it due
to spyware? I tried uninstalling the spyware even then it shows the pop ups
which makes the computer a nuisance for the user. Is there an effective
spyware removal tool I could use (if thats the problem)? or is it due to a
virus. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

--
MRT
1 answer Last reply

    Users are reporting pretty good results with the Microsoft AntiSpyware tool
    even though it is a beta product. The link below is where to get it from. I
    am not sure if that will fix the problem however. Using System File Checker
    as in sfc /scannow or doing an in place upgrade of the operating system may
    be other things to try though the in place upgrade would require that you
    install the service pack first and then critical security updates after
    done. Booting into safe mode is also worth a try. If that works, you have
    some startup process causing the problem that could be a legitimate program
    or unauthorized software/malware/parasite. --- Steve

    "mrt1" <mrt1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The workstation having wind 2k boots up and throws active desktop recovery
    > screen immediately, and some explorer.exe exception in the winnt
    > directory.
    > Clicking OK in that alert window starts throwing a lot of pop ups. Is it
    > due
    > to spyware? I tried uninstalling the spyware even then it shows the pop
    > ups
    > which makes the computer a nuisance for the user. Is there an effective
    > spyware removal tool I could use (if thats the problem)? or is it due to a
    > virus. Any help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --
    > MRT