Sign in with
Your question

High E6600 Temp

Last response: in Overclocking
February 20, 2007 3:47:42 AM

I built this comp a few months ago. I used to have 48C on maximum load, and now it's 54-57C on %50 load. I have one exhaust fan, and one intake fan. The ASUS Q-fan from the mobo is set at Performance. Is there anything I can do to lower my temps to the ones before? I already reseated the HSF like 100 times, so don't suggest that to just blow me off. :lol:  Any suggestions?

More about : high e6600 temp

February 20, 2007 6:04:05 AM

Only thing i can suggest is AS5 Thermal paste and one of these,
Zalman CNPS9700 LED

That heatsink will set you back about 50$ and paste is like 6$. You can get all that at newegg.com
February 20, 2007 10:16:25 AM

what AS5 for? :roll:
Related resources
February 20, 2007 10:45:45 AM

My e6600 can easily and quickly get up to 65C under load.

Using the stock fan but with AS5 paste. Scary thing is the ambient temperature here is about 10/15C and in summer will be 40C. Does this mean my CPU is going to go from 65C under load now to 80C and higher in the summer? :cry: 
February 20, 2007 10:59:24 AM

No, it means that your cpu will use TM2 a lot, and throttle back to 1600MHz.

Check the retaining mechanism on the heatsink, and see if it is seating ok on the cpu/mobo.

I have the same cpu with a Thermalright XP120 (and AS5) on a P5B Deluxe and core temp never go past 40ºC on load (checked with superPI, with prime and intel tat in 2x100% workloads), in fact it never achieved 40ºC (at 20 to 23ºC room temp). At Idle (C1E) the cpu go to an incredibly low 18 - 20ºC.
February 20, 2007 11:08:07 AM

I have the P5B deluxe too. Yeah I just think a combination of bad air flow through the system and a standard heatsink and fan are causing higher temperatures than yours.

I don't like the way the stock HSF attatches to the motherboard so probably change to a 3rd party fan sooner rather than later.
February 20, 2007 11:15:28 AM

Well, I didn't mean to be explicit on the "need for an aftermarket HS".

I can't think of the stock solution performing so bad. I really believe there's some seating/retaining problem with your build, it happens constantly, as you mention the 4 retention clips are a pain in the... and a really bad design.

Before going the aftermarket route, give it a try.
February 20, 2007 3:39:11 PM

Well....I reseated my HSF AGAIN, and before I did that, I put on some thermal grease from my VF-700 for my 7600GT, and..VOILA! It's idling at 40C. Absolutely beautiful! I'm gonna go get some AS5 and scrape all of that sht I have on now. Thanks for the help anyways. IF YOU'RE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH TEMPS, SCRAPE OF THE THERMAL GREASE FROM THE HSF AND CPU WITH A CREDIT CARD OR A COTTON SWAB. RE APPLY THERMAL GREASE.

For some reason, there was almost no thermal grease on the CPU. I guess the thermal pad Intel put on there was cheap crap.
February 20, 2007 9:32:19 PM

Quote:
For some reason, there was almost no thermal grease on the CPU. I guess the thermal pad Intel put on there was cheap crap.

No, you're supposed to clean off the old compound and apply fresh compound *every* time you reseat/install the hsf.
February 20, 2007 9:37:54 PM

Well too bad. I didn't! I'm going to the Fry's in Renton to get some AS5. You know the place?
February 21, 2007 1:55:10 AM

Don't have any D U S T! But I'm still getting high temps. I"m wondering if the temps are even correct, since sometimes they go from 55C to 48C in 2 seconds.
February 21, 2007 3:19:43 AM

Ok first Turn off the Asus Q-Fan feature it does not work that well at all IMO. I built a system awhile back and left that on by accident and i was getting horrible temps with the stock HSF. Turned it off and bam started getting a lot better temps can not remember exact temps to give of before and after i just remember it was significantly lower.

Secondly if you didn't properly clean the bottom of the HSF and the top of the CPU that could be more of problem. Without proper cleaning, the thermal compounds thermal conducitivity is severaly hurt. You need to first remove it again and properly clean it either with Artic's Cleaning solution or alcohol. Then apply a small amount of thermal compound on the CPU and spread. Also DO NOT Mix thermal compounds use the same one on it.

EDIT: Also what are you using to monitor your CPUs Temps?
February 21, 2007 3:22:18 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to get Arctic Silver today and apply it. I'm using Intel's TAT and Core Temp. Anyone wanna send me a copy of PC Probe :?: I lost my CD. :?
February 21, 2007 3:46:45 PM

You can go to Asus's Support site and download it and any other drivers you need along with your manual for your motherboard. At....

http://support.asus.com/

Just go there go to download>select motherboard>your socket>then your motherboard and then you will get all the latest drivers and Bios and manuals and all the utilities you will need.

EDIT: You are using the best CPU Temp monitors. PC Probe does not give an accurate CPU temp. The only time i ever use it is to check MB temps and such that is all.
February 21, 2007 6:01:14 PM

I know the site, BUT I can't find PC Probe.
February 21, 2007 8:58:10 PM

Thanks fate!
February 21, 2007 9:00:21 PM

Quote:
IF YOU'RE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH TEMPS, SCRAPE OF THE THERMAL GREASE FROM THE HSF AND CPU WITH A CREDIT CARD OR A COTTON SWAB. RE APPLY THERMAL GREASE.

This makes the job soooo much easier...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683... normally use some alcohol. :lol:  I will try that, it looks like a great product. :D 
February 22, 2007 5:16:53 AM

Yes, I highly recommend Arctic Clean. The one package will last you forever, too.
February 22, 2007 3:29:14 PM

Well, they were out of AS5, so I get AS Ceramique or something like that. It's probably not as good, as it was 5 bucks cheaper. I applied it, but my temps are still high. If I try to reapply it, the heatsink's little 2 white fins on each leg will break, and I would need a new HSF. BTW, I'm getting 42C-43C on idle. Is that OK?
February 22, 2007 4:38:56 PM

As some others have said... probably bad air flow. Also, be sure to dust out your system. My system sucks dust up like a vaccum (thank God it has dust filters... still don't understand where all the other dust gets inside the case!)

Also, when you reseat the heatsink, be sure to clean the CPU and the heatsink with something that doesn't leave behind lint. In other words, don't use cotton swabs. Instead, try using the lint free clothes that you get with glasses.

Other than that, if it gets that hot where you live and are concern about your CPU temps, you might want to look into a TEC cooler...

I'm thinking about the CoolIT Freezone or Eliminator, but some people in the forums tend to disagree with those *coughDaClancough*... maybe not all of them, but a few of them.

Perhaps someone else can shed some light as well.
February 22, 2007 9:22:47 PM

I have a Antec Lanboy, and the airflow sucks.
February 23, 2007 1:04:12 AM

I have no problems blasting my cpu with brake cleaner or goo-off then reapplying my thermal grease. Seems to work like a charm for me.

I have an asus p5n-e w/ e6600 and the mobo always runs hotter than the cpu (45/42) respectively @ idle. I have a Centurion 5 from Cooler Master and plan on getting a heatsink for the sb and maybe a fan for the nb in addition to something like the Zalman 9700 for the cpu.

My new build has been nothing but a big learning experience (aka pain in the ass).

Nate
February 23, 2007 10:15:13 PM

Quote:
I have a Antec Lanboy, and the airflow sucks.

I've got a Super Lanboy, and the airflow is fine. :wink:
February 24, 2007 1:24:15 AM

Yes, it is, my fan was failing. I'm playing a game right now...and the CPU is at 39C. That's amazing. I only have ONE fan on, the exhaust one. It looks like I don't even need an intake fan. I'll probably just get an HD cooler for my HD.
!