Sign in with
Your question

Need a second opinion PLEASE (Homebuild)

Last response: in Systems
February 20, 2007 3:56:35 AM

This will be the first PC I'm building, so I need your comments about each part of my build, and if you could answer a couple questions that would be great. But let me get right down to the point.

Case: SilverStone TJ09 Black with Window
Graphics Card: eVGA 8800GTX 768MB PCI Express
Motherboard: eVGA nForce 680i SLI
Power Supply: Turbo-Cool 1kW-SR
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo X6800
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Fatal1ty
Hard drive: Raptor 150GB (Windowless) (It's the primary drive for the OS/Games, getting a 750GBx5/6 (6 maybe if I can use the external 3.5 inch bay) for everything else

Now for the questions:
1) Will the Power Supply cords be long enough to reach every component in the huge TJ09 case?
2) Should I switch the processor to the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700? (Note: I am mainly a gamer, but I'm just thinking about the multi-tasking possibilities and start drooling)
3) What should I use to fill the 3.5 inch bay? Can add another hard drive instead?
4) What should I use to fill the other 2 5.25 inch bays? (Please note I'm only using one of the slots for a DVD-Burner, one for the sound card, and I'm looking for fun add-ons or other useful utilities to fill up that extra space with)
5) What kind of RAM would you recommend for 2GB for around 200$? 250-300$?
6) Is adding a second eVGA 8800GTX in SLI worth it?
7) Is the BFG Ageia PhysX being used yet?

Thanks for taking the time to read all this, I know it's quite a handful, but I honestly appreciate everything I learn from your comments.

More about : opinion homebuild

February 20, 2007 7:17:22 AM

Quote:
This will be the first PC I'm building, so I need your comments about each part of my build, and if you could answer a couple questions that would be great. But let me get right down to the point.

Case: SilverStone TJ09 Black with Window
Graphics Card: eVGA 8800GTX 768MB PCI Express
Motherboard: eVGA nForce 680i SLI
Power Supply: Turbo-Cool 1kW-SR
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo X6800
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Fatal1ty
Hard drive: Raptor 150GB (Windowless) (It's the primary drive for the OS/Games, getting a 750GBx5/6 (6 maybe if I can use the external 3.5 inch bay) for everything else

Now for the questions:
1) Will the Power Supply cords be long enough to reach every component in the huge TJ09 case?
2) Should I switch the processor to the Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700? (Note: I am mainly a gamer, but I'm just thinking about the multi-tasking possibilities and start drooling)
3) What should I use to fill the 3.5 inch bay? Can add another hard drive instead?
4) What should I use to fill the other 2 5.25 inch bays? (Please note I'm only using one of the slots for a DVD-Burner, one for the sound card, and I'm looking for fun add-ons or other useful utilities to fill up that extra space with)
6) Is adding a second eVGA 8800GTX in SLI worth it?
7) Is the BFG Ageia PhysX being used yet?

Thanks for taking the time to read all this, I know it's quite a handful, but I honestly appreciate everything I learn from your comments.

Ill just give you the answers which in my opinion are as stated:

2) No if you are mainly a gamer you should stick to the dual core , it will be a long while before you will see the benefits of a quad core in Games.

6) One 8800 Gtx would be good enough for a long while before you would need any extra power. Only get another if you have a 30 lcd and want to play games on super high resolutions. Frankly by the time you would need another card there would be better ones available , also wait for Ati so that the price can fall.

7) To my knowledge this product is not being used .

I hope i helped :)  I am sure more knowledgeable posters will fill in . :) 

Peace Not War :twisted:
February 20, 2007 7:51:27 AM

mpilchfamily: I was noticing how the mobos are coming with 3 pci slots now, I think that there will be another round of Physics cards coming soon...

Thanks for your replies guys, I guess the only thing I REALLY need to know is
and
That's pretty much all I'm missing now. Thanks again!
Related resources
February 20, 2007 7:59:58 AM

This looks like a good deal :) 

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Corsair DHX XMS2 Dominator Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800Mhz Memory

he Dominator Series Twin2X2048-6400C4D is a 2048 MByte matched pair of DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs built using Corsair’s latest high performance heat sink with Dual-Path Heat Xchange (DHX) technology. This part delivers outstanding performance in the latest generation of dual-channel DDR2-based motherboards. It has been tested extensively in multiple DDR2 motherboards to ensure compatibility and performance at its rated speed. This memory has been verified to operate at 800MHz at latencies of 4-4-4-12. The Twin2X2048-6400C4D comes with
Enhanced Performance Profiles (EPP), the open standard for performance module SPD’s jointly developed by Corsair and NVIDIA. EPP SPD’s on Corsair modules allow users to automatically configure EPP enabled motherboards with aggressive memory performance settings, for maximum memory and system performance. Performance of these modules incorporating DHX can be further enhanced by using the optional Dominator Airflow Fan, for even more cooling and protection.
February 20, 2007 8:01:51 AM

Quote:
This looks like a good deal :) 

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Corsair DHX XMS2 Dominator Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800Mhz Memory

he Dominator Series Twin2X2048-6400C4D is a 2048 MByte matched pair of DDR2 SDRAM DIMMs built using Corsair’s latest high performance heat sink with Dual-Path Heat Xchange (DHX) technology. This part delivers outstanding performance in the latest generation of dual-channel DDR2-based motherboards. It has been tested extensively in multiple DDR2 motherboards to ensure compatibility and performance at its rated speed. This memory has been verified to operate at 800MHz at latencies of 4-4-4-12. The Twin2X2048-6400C4D comes with
Enhanced Performance Profiles (EPP), the open standard for performance module SPD’s jointly developed by Corsair and NVIDIA. EPP SPD’s on Corsair modules allow users to automatically configure EPP enabled motherboards with aggressive memory performance settings, for maximum memory and system performance. Performance of these modules incorporating DHX can be further enhanced by using the optional Dominator Airflow Fan, for even more cooling and protection.

Awsome! Exactly what I was looking for, thanks for finding that =)
February 20, 2007 8:07:06 AM

Glad I could be of help :) 

Enjoy Peace :D 
!