OChardcore

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
I am just curious as to what Memory slots I should use on my ASUS p5n-e sli motherboard, My friend says slots 2 & 4 black set, Im thinking slots 1 & 3 Yellow slots. Does it even make a difference which ones i use, like performance wise or any reason to use one or the other ?

I am just curious as to what Memory slots I should use on my ASUS p5n-e sli motherboard, My friend says slots 2 & 4 black set, Im thinking slots 1 & 3 Yellow slots. Does it even make a difference which ones i use, like performance wise or any reason to use one or the other ?

id personally use 1st and 3rd slots ;)

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
Personally, I'd read THE FUSKING MANUAL. Then I'd see which slots are which and I wouldn't need to come in here LOOKING LIKE A COMPLETE IDIOT.

Remember this quote from the famously gay Oscar Wilde: "Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool THAN TO OPEN ONE'S MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT."

OChardcore

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Personally, I'd read THE FUSKING MANUAL. Then I'd see which slots are which and I wouldn't need to come in here LOOKING LIKE A COMPLETE IDIOT.

Remember this quote from the famously gay Oscar Wilde: "Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool THAN TO OPEN ONE'S MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT."

You know of all the forums I go to on a regular basis, Where it be gaming/pc tech forums, one thing I have noticed in them all. There is always assholes, and they never lurk to long before everyone knows who they are :( Good day to you sir.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Easy answer: Either will work. Slots 1 and 3 are closer and give you just a hair most stability, but probably nothing you'd notice unless you tried overclocking the RAM in either configuration.

chailvr

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Do 2 sticks of RAM have to go in both channels or can you put two in one channel?

im assuming channels are either the black slots or the yellow slots

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
From the manual, the slots are numbered, from the CPU: A1 A2 B1 B2
first is channel A so use those two slots.

edit: spelling

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Do 2 sticks of RAM have to go in both channels or can you put two in one channel?

im assuming channels are either the black slots or the yellow slots
To use the full effect of the dual channel RAM, you must fill both slots with RAM, hopefully matching but at least spec'ed the same

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Translation: Gee, I don't know/don't feel like answering this person's question, so I think I'll just go out of my way to be a jackass, which takes more effort than just ignoring the topic which any person without anger management issues would do.

Hint: this is what the forums are for, if we all knew everthing about everything, these forums would be pretty bare.

You could have just said: "What does the motherboard manual say?"

So "fusk" you, buddy

To hardcore: yea, either way, not much of a difference