How to rename the W2K AD Administrator account

I have read several articles on how best to rename the Administrator account
in W2K AD and some say use a GPO and others say just right click on the
account and rename it.

What is the prefered option or do I need to do them both?

Thanks,
Paul
2 answers Last reply
More about rename administrator account

    I believe you may be the best person to answer that question. If you have
    500 computers to address the task will surly be a daunting one. If you are
    working with 10 to 15 computers you can easily right click and rename them.
    I would suggest you use gp as a way or keeping a clean and documented track
    record.

    "Woodsy" wrote:

    > I have read several articles on how best to rename the Administrator account
    > in W2K AD and some say use a GPO and others say just right click on the
    > account and rename it.
    >
    > What is the prefered option or do I need to do them both?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul

    If you are going to do it for just the built in administrator account for
    the domain you can just do it in AD Users and Computers. If you use Group
    Policy for the domain controllers it will enforce it however in case another
    administrator tries to change it to something else. While it is often
    recommended, in reality it is of little value in my opinion as there are
    widely available tools that can find the administrator account based on it's
    sid which can not be changed. A better solution would be to make sure the
    administrator account has a very complex password or passphrase that could
    never be guessed or cracked. --- Steve

    "Woodsy" <Woodsy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have read several articles on how best to rename the Administrator
    >account
    > in W2K AD and some say use a GPO and others say just right click on the
    > account and rename it.
    >
    > What is the prefered option or do I need to do them both?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul

Security Microsoft Windows