thermal grease

ezrolling

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I have a duron 1.2 ghz right now that I might wanna overclock in the future (or buy a new cpu and overclock it - in the future).

What thermal grease should I get?
This cpu is getting up to 102C just at idle (bios)

thanks alot!

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I have a duron 1.2 ghz right now that I might wanna overclock in the future (or buy a new cpu and overclock it - in the future).

thanks alot!

Try getting a fire extinguisher.

If your duron is running that temp at idle and the bios setting is correct your problem is a lot bigger than thermal grease! If you OC it, you might just start spontaneous nuclear fusion! 8O

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

thanks alot!

Try getting a fire extinguisher.

If your duron is running that temp at idle and the bios setting is correct your problem is a lot bigger than thermal grease! If you OC it, you might just start spontaneous nuclear fusion! 8OYeah, for that temp(if it is indeed 102C and not 102F)...the hs/f is either severely clogged, or the fan isn't working at all.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
righht, :roll:
it's probably Fahrenheit

so get some artic silver 5 thermal grease, one of the best around

It depends on the type of hsf he's using, if the bottom is course AS5 is what you should get, if its really smooth you should get a silicon paste.

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
For rougher surfaces get AS5 and for really smooth ones get Arctic creamique - it's really cheap btw. You cant really go wrong with it.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
If you don't want the headaches go with Zalman liquid grease it works as good as AS5 and is almost impossible to screw up. The Arctic product are a pain to clean up and it take some practice to get the most out of it.

I have a tuniq 120 and it's a tight fit and a major pain to get mounted in my case. Using Arctic creamique my first two application resulted in performance worse than my old Zalman 9500 cooler. I did get it working properly but on my last application used the Zalman compound and the temp were identical. It does cost twice as much but at $10 it's still cheap

All temps at idle after running for 4 or more hours. E6600@2400 tuniq 120@2033 RPM. I didn't have all the load temps on hand but can tell you that they were in line with the idle temps in my close case real world experience.

application 1 44C after 2 weeks at idles Arctic creamique (rice method)
application 2 41C after 2 weeks at idle Arctic creamique (blade method) open case 33C
application 3 38C after 2 weeks at idel Arctic creamique (blade method)
aplpication 4 38C after 1 week at idle Zalman ZM-STG1 (Brush and done)

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
i tested a bunch and heard great things about the koolance grease
artic wins everytime!

if its been there long its probably damaged = the epoxy will melt.

you did not isntall the heat sink right - or its very badly dished add extra thermal grease see if it drops, if it does and it was install tight then either the chip or hs is dished

those temps you hs is making less then 10-20% contact you better off with it off and point a fan at the chip

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
hmm
whats the best kind of water cooling liquid?
water? coolant?
thanks

Just ordered some paste

Dude, you might as well have spent your money on toothpaste. And putting a WC system on your rig would be like dropping a Viper V10 into a rusty 79 Olds 98. You've got some serious problems with overheating and I strongly recommend that you send your rig to that big Silicon Valley in the sky and buy a new one.

ezrolling

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I ordered the Arctic Creamique as NaDa advised
Ordered from newegg

I just want a water cooling system to have and use until I get a new system.

I was curious as to whats the best liquid cooling chemical known to man because I'm just curious

thanks alot guyz!!

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I ordered the Arctic Creamique as NaDa advised
Ordered from newegg

I just want a water cooling system to have and use until I get a new system.

I was curious as to whats the best liquid cooling chemical known to man because I'm just curious

thanks alot guyz!!

Dude, sorry to come down hard on ya, but if your Duron is idling over 100C IT IS TOAST. There is absolutely no point spending $200 or more on a WC system for your current $2 CPU that will have a waterblock that won't fit the rig you're gonna have to buy anyway. Makes no sense.

ezrolling

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
oh please.. by all means...
come down as hard as you want on me

You've given me an honest answer which made me learn
thanks

(its honestly been 7 years since I've last studied up seriously on systems)
Time for me to dig in and decide on what system I wanna purchase....

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
Time for me to dig in and decide on what system I wanna purchase....

That's eazy!

E4300 + Gigabyte DS3 + Tuniq Tower = 3.5GHz Conroe
2x1 Gig DDR2 800
Depending on your budget go for radeon x1950pro, x1950xt 256mb or 8800GTS
250 gb hdd
and a seasonic 500w psu

ezrolling

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
you werent very specific on the HD
Should I get 5400rpm
or the 7200rpm ?

Will a 7200rpm HD not last very long?
because its spinning around in there so fast

and that system you listed right there... I would like to water cool it
so that I can Over Clock it a bit

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Incredible. After all the work Ninja went through debunking the AS5 myth it still gets a huge recommendation.

Link.

Please post a screenshot if you can of the 105C temps. I'd love to see it. The Morgans were supposed to have a max die temp of 90C but it's possible you've got a rather robust one. However, don't plan on it staying very robust for very long at such temps. I keep seeing a picture of Bugs Bunny's eyes bulging every time the Abominable Snowman squeezed him. That's the sort of pressure you're subjecting that poor Morgan to and it will be close to folding if you keep it there. What are you using to monitor the temps?

There is no reason to consider using a 5400 RPM drive in desktops anymore.

EDIT: Sorry meant to reply to ezrolling, not Cap'n April.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
No prob, Anoobis. Is this what you were thinking of?

tasr.jpg

:lol:

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
Yes all HDDs are 7200 nowdays even faster...
A 7200RPM drive will be just fine if you want a brand then go Seagate.

Dont get water cooling. It's expensive, you probably wont OC any higher with it anyway. Air cooling is very good nowdays and the new intel processors are really cool so it's not necessary (some will disagree).
Go air cooling and once you get really comfortabe ocing and think you need more than consider water cooling.

I personaly dont like the idea of water running near my expensive electrical components.

One more thing I should probably mention and this is something that isnt mentioned usually.
Overclocking is evil :twisted: