Problems with users changing passwords

For several months now we have experienced problems on our Win2000 AD domain.
A user starts to recieve warnings to change their password when there are X
days left until it expires. If a users changes the password before it
expires all is fine.

If the user waits until the password expires and then tries to change the
password they are unable to do so and the IT team have to reset the password.

Has anyone else expirenced this problem? Can you suggest a fix?

Kevin
5 answers Last reply
More about problems users changing passwords

    "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > For several months now we have experienced problems on our Win2000 AD
    domain.
    > A user starts to recieve warnings to change their password when there are
    > days left until it expires. If a users changes the password before it
    > expires all is fine.
    >
    > If the user waits until the password expires and then tries to change the
    > password they are unable to do so and the IT team have to reset the
    password.

    > Has anyone else expirenced this problem? Can you suggest a fix?
    >
    > Kevin

    This is normal password policy and may have come into force either following
    an update or by someone changing
    the policy on the server.

    Jud

    Sorry Jud, I have some additional information that was missing before.

    If the user when asked to if they want to change their password before it
    expires says yes and enters the old password then the new password twice and
    says OK they recieve a warning saying they do not have permission to complete
    ths changes.

    This is our problem.

    Kevin

    > Sorry Jud, I have some additional information that was missing before.
    >
    > If the user when asked to if they want to change their password before it
    > expires says yes and enters the old password then the new password twice
    and
    > says OK they recieve a warning saying they do not have permission to
    complete
    > ths changes.
    >
    > This is our problem.
    >
    > Kevin
    >
    > "Jud" wrote:

    In that case this isn't normal , I did a quick search of MS and found this
    page, It's for an NT server problem, does it apply?

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141187

    Jud

    What is the operating system of the computers where users are having this
    problem? What error message do they get? The link below may be a
    possibility. --- Steve

    "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > For several months now we have experienced problems on our Win2000 AD
    > domain.
    > A user starts to recieve warnings to change their password when there are
    > days left until it expires. If a users changes the password before it
    > expires all is fine.
    >
    > If the user waits until the password expires and then tries to change the
    > password they are unable to do so and the IT team have to reset the
    > password.
    >

    > Has anyone else expirenced this problem? Can you suggest a fix?
    >
    > Kevin

    Thanks Steven, I think the link has provided the solution to my problem.
    Many thanks again. I will go and test the change now.

    Kevin

    "Steven L Umbach" wrote:

    > What is the operating system of the computers where users are having this
    > problem? What error message do they get? The link below may be a
    > possibility. --- Steve

    > "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > For several months now we have experienced problems on our Win2000 AD
    > > domain.
    > > A user starts to recieve warnings to change their password when there are
    > > days left until it expires. If a users changes the password before it
    > > expires all is fine.
    > >
    > > If the user waits until the password expires and then tries to change the
    > > password they are unable to do so and the IT team have to reset the
    > > password.
    > >

    > > Has anyone else expirenced this problem? Can you suggest a fix?
    > >
    > > Kevin

Security Microsoft Windows