  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
March 31, 2005 6:05:02 AM

For several months now we have experienced problems on our Win2000 AD domain.
A user starts to recieve warnings to change their password when there are X
days left until it expires. If a users changes the password before it
expires all is fine.

If the user waits until the password expires and then tries to change the
password they are unable to do so and the IT team have to reset the password.

Has anyone else expirenced this problem? Can you suggest a fix?

Kevin

More about : problems users changing passwords

March 31, 2005 3:20:49 PM

"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For several months now we have experienced problems on our Win2000 AD
domain.
> A user starts to recieve warnings to change their password when there are
> days left until it expires. If a users changes the password before it
> expires all is fine.
>
> If the user waits until the password expires and then tries to change the
> password they are unable to do so and the IT team have to reset the
password.

> Has anyone else expirenced this problem? Can you suggest a fix?
>
> Kevin

This is normal password policy and may have come into force either following
an update or by someone changing
the policy on the server.

Jud
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 31, 2005 3:20:50 PM

Sorry Jud, I have some additional information that was missing before.

If the user when asked to if they want to change their password before it
expires says yes and enters the old password then the new password twice and
says OK they recieve a warning saying they do not have permission to complete
ths changes.

This is our problem.

Kevin

"Jud" wrote:

> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > For several months now we have experienced problems on our Win2000 AD
> domain.
> > A user starts to recieve warnings to change their password when there are
> > days left until it expires. If a users changes the password before it
> > expires all is fine.
> >
> > If the user waits until the password expires and then tries to change the
> > password they are unable to do so and the IT team have to reset the
> password.
> >

> > Has anyone else expirenced this problem? Can you suggest a fix?
> >
> > Kevin
>

> This is normal password policy and may have come into force either following
> an update or by someone changing
> the policy on the server.
>

> Jud

Related resources
March 31, 2005 3:57:30 PM

> Sorry Jud, I have some additional information that was missing before.
>
> If the user when asked to if they want to change their password before it
> expires says yes and enters the old password then the new password twice
and
> says OK they recieve a warning saying they do not have permission to
complete
> ths changes.
>
> This is our problem.
>
> Kevin
>
> "Jud" wrote:

In that case this isn't normal , I did a quick search of MS and found this
page, It's for an NT server problem, does it apply?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141187

Jud
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 1, 2005 3:20:42 AM

What is the operating system of the computers where users are having this
problem? What error message do they get? The link below may be a
possibility. --- Steve

"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For several months now we have experienced problems on our Win2000 AD
> domain.
> A user starts to recieve warnings to change their password when there are
> days left until it expires. If a users changes the password before it
> expires all is fine.
>
> If the user waits until the password expires and then tries to change the
> password they are unable to do so and the IT team have to reset the
> password.
>

> Has anyone else expirenced this problem? Can you suggest a fix?
>
> Kevin
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 1, 2005 6:11:05 AM

Thanks Steven, I think the link has provided the solution to my problem.
Many thanks again. I will go and test the change now.

Kevin

!