Sony 50" LCD and Onkyo Receiver with 6.1

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 3, 2004 3:59:52 PM

After much deliberation in my brain and on some posts (thanks for the
info) I went with the Sony 50" LCD Grand Wega at Circuit City for
$2824 (incl. $300 rebate), the Onkyo Receiver with 7 speaker package
for $449 (incl. $50 rebate), and the Sony TV stand that was $499 was
on sale for $199 (I guess that is getting replaced soon). I didn't
need a DVD player, so the Onkyo package was a pleasant surprise, since
the company I targetted was Onkyo, but their prices seemed to be way
too high. Onkyo seemed to get the best reviews for sound quality, and
this thing does not disappoint. The TV has a great picture. Very
bright. Even the dark scenes are good. My apartment is very dark, so
that may help the picture, but I found the LCD had as good if not
better picture than the DLP's I saw, for less money.

Some observations during my week-long pricing at various stores.

The guy at one of the Circuit City stores I went to told me that
plasma was garbage and that the picture was not even as good as the
DLP. He said the DLP was the best thing out there, MUCH better than
LCD..."See what I mean?" And I looked at the LCD vs DLP and the LCD
looked better to me...maybe I'm blind, but I just went "Yeah...well OK
thanks" I wasn't going to buy from this guy, if not for the fact that
he said the DLP had a better pic than the Plasma, which to me was a
real stretch. The $7000 Pioneer Plasma they had looked better than
LCD or DLP, but I couldn't afford 7 grand.

The guy at the Sears told me LCD was WAY WAY better than the DLP, but
while I thought the LCD looked better, it wasn't THAT much of a
difference. And the two TV's had 2 different shows on, and he
"couldn't put the same thing on both TV's" To me, that means "We want
to sell you this one". Not buying from this guy.

The Circuit City I ended up buying from had a great set up, with the
50" about 10 feet away from a couch. When I sat down, I realized that
the 60" (Which I was going to buy) would be way too big and decided
that I would get the 50". The guy here said that the picture quality
were a matter of taste, went through the advantages and disadvantages
of each (DLP, LCD, Plasma) and didn't really try to steer me anywhere.
I decided to buy the TV from this guy.

The TV stand felt twice as heavy as the TV itself.

I went with RCN HDTV because Comcast customer service was very rude
and their computer was down 2 nights in a row. RCN was cheaper as
well, and they have 5 mbps downloading on their cable modem (where
comcast is only 3 mbps). I didn't go with the extra $12 a month for
DiscoveryHD, ESPNHD, etc. but may go with it for the football games in
September.

The RCN installer, who was actually training another guy, had no idea
what a DVI cable was. I asked him if the install came with a DVI
cable, and he says "Yes, that's it right there." I said, "No that is
a component video hookup...do you have DVI." He said, true story,
"They are the same thing." Uh-Oh. But I showed him in the manual
what the difference is, and where on the box the DVI plug is, and he
says "Well, ya learn something new every day." I guess the other guy
does too. But they were nice enough I guess. I haven't gone out and
bought a DVI cable yet, but am not sure if it would be worth it.
Would it?

Thanks again for everyone's help on here.
August 3, 2004 7:46:14 PM

CFioren317@excite.com (Chris Fiorentino) wrote in message news:<d0a7dad6.0408031059.48539229@posting.google.com>...
> [...]
> comcast is only 3 mbps). I didn't go with the extra $12 a month for
> DiscoveryHD, ESPNHD, etc. but may go with it for the football games in
> September.
>
> The RCN installer, who was actually training another guy, had no idea
> what a DVI cable was. I asked him if the install came with a DVI
> cable, and he says "Yes, that's it right there." I said, "No that is
> a component video hookup...do you have DVI." He said, true story,
> "They are the same thing." Uh-Oh. But I showed him in the manual
> what the difference is, and where on the box the DVI plug is, and he
> says "Well, ya learn something new every day." I guess the other guy
> does too. But they were nice enough I guess. I haven't gone out and
> bought a DVI cable yet, but am not sure if it would be worth it.
> Would it?
>
> Thanks again for everyone's help on here.

Possibly the DVI port is not enabled on the cable box - call RCN and
check. If DVI is not enabled, that would help explain one reason why
the installer was not familiar with it.

JCPZero
!