Two probs with new XPPro set-up.

Brand new unformatted HDD, new XP Pro installation.
Everything seemed to go well - no errorsor cause for concern during format
or installation (formatted via XP).
Did all the updates, loaded AVG, drivers for hardware - no probs.

Have run sfc /scannow - full scan, it closed with no comment so assume all
is well.

A prob with OE is posted separately

Prob 1 - Wanted to read a Wordpad "readme" on a (current) driver
installation CD. ERROR - Wordpad could not get a Wordpad 97 "convertor" -
could not open the file.

Prob 2 - wanted to save time, have MS SP2 CD - tried installing from that,
almost immediately got an error "file corrupt". No obvious CD damage.
Downloaded and installed SP2 directly.

As far as I can see, installation is as correct as I can get it. Don't think
I have a CDRW drive problem (it's a new one) it seems to function in all
respects.

Anyone any ideas? I'd like to have a dual HDD system using XP Pro, but I'm
reluctant to do this while Pro seems to have problems. Have yet to install
both drives - am switching connectors betweeen them - a real pain.

Sincerely, Len.
2 answers Last reply
More about probs xppro

    I would try the cd drive on a different machine. It doesn't sound like an
    OS problem.

    "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    > Brand new unformatted HDD, new XP Pro installation.
    > Everything seemed to go well - no errorsor cause for concern during format
    > or installation (formatted via XP).
    > Did all the updates, loaded AVG, drivers for hardware - no probs.
    >
    > Have run sfc /scannow - full scan, it closed with no comment so assume all
    > is well.
    >
    > A prob with OE is posted separately
    >
    > Prob 1 - Wanted to read a Wordpad "readme" on a (current) driver
    > installation CD. ERROR - Wordpad could not get a Wordpad 97 "convertor" -
    > could not open the file.
    >
    > Prob 2 - wanted to save time, have MS SP2 CD - tried installing from that,
    > almost immediately got an error "file corrupt". No obvious CD damage.
    > Downloaded and installed SP2 directly.
    >
    > As far as I can see, installation is as correct as I can get it. Don't
    > think I have a CDRW drive problem (it's a new one) it seems to function in
    > all respects.
    >
    > Anyone any ideas? I'd like to have a dual HDD system using XP Pro, but
    > I'm reluctant to do this while Pro seems to have problems. Have yet to
    > install both drives - am switching connectors betweeen them - a real pain.
    >
    > Sincerely, Len.

    I have 2 optical drives. SP2 attempted from the DVD drive (read-only
    drive) - same one that loaded XP Pro, also all the driver CD's, with no
    glitches during the processes.
    I've d/l SP2 already. so that question's academic now. However, I've also
    run sfc /scannow (using same DVD drive) which involves numerous "reads" from
    system CD. If it were a faulty drive, odds are very high against a "read"
    fail on exact same spot on install CD, yes?.
    I have Office, so Word will overcome any future Wordpad shortcomings.
    I posted a/ to see if others had had same probs, and b/ for solution to
    apparently faulty Wordpad (which is part of XPPro).
    Good thought, though - I'll look for a CD/DVDdrive tester. To date no
    obvious problems - DVD's work fine, as do audio CD's.

    Thanks - Len.

    >I would try the cd drive on a different machine. It doesn't sound like an
    >OS problem.

    > "Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
    >> Brand new unformatted HDD, new XP Pro installation.
    >> Everything seemed to go well - no errorsor cause for concern during
    >> format or installation (formatted via XP).
    >> Did all the updates, loaded AVG, drivers for hardware - no probs.
    >>
    >> Have run sfc /scannow - full scan, it closed with no comment so assume
    >> all is well.
    >>
    >> A prob with OE is posted separately
    >>
    >> Prob 1 - Wanted to read a Wordpad "readme" on a (current) driver
    >> installation CD. ERROR - Wordpad could not get a Wordpad 97
    >> "convertor" - could not open the file.
    >>
    >> Prob 2 - wanted to save time, have MS SP2 CD - tried installing from
    >> that, almost immediately got an error "file corrupt". No obvious CD
    >> damage. Downloaded and installed SP2 directly.
    >>
    >> As far as I can see, installation is as correct as I can get it. Don't
    >> think I have a CDRW drive problem (it's a new one) it seems to function
    >> in all respects.
    >>
    >> Anyone any ideas? I'd like to have a dual HDD system using XP Pro, but
    >> I'm reluctant to do this while Pro seems to have problems. Have yet to
    >> install both drives - am switching connectors betweeen them - a real
    >> pain.
    >>
    >> Sincerely, Len.

Hard Drives Windows XP