Two probs with new XPPro set-up.

March 7, 2005 8:59:55 PM

Brand new unformatted HDD, new XP Pro installation.
Everything seemed to go well - no errorsor cause for concern during format
or installation (formatted via XP).
Did all the updates, loaded AVG, drivers for hardware - no probs.

Have run sfc /scannow - full scan, it closed with no comment so assume all
is well.

A prob with OE is posted separately

Prob 1 - Wanted to read a Wordpad "readme" on a (current) driver
installation CD. ERROR - Wordpad could not get a Wordpad 97 "convertor" -
could not open the file.

Prob 2 - wanted to save time, have MS SP2 CD - tried installing from that,
almost immediately got an error "file corrupt". No obvious CD damage.
Downloaded and installed SP2 directly.

As far as I can see, installation is as correct as I can get it. Don't think
I have a CDRW drive problem (it's a new one) it seems to function in all
respects.

Anyone any ideas? I'd like to have a dual HDD system using XP Pro, but I'm
reluctant to do this while Pro seems to have problems. Have yet to install
both drives - am switching connectors betweeen them - a real pain.

Sincerely, Len.

More about : probs xppro set

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 8:59:56 PM

I would try the cd drive on a different machine. It doesn't sound like an
OS problem.

"Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
> Brand new unformatted HDD, new XP Pro installation.
> Everything seemed to go well - no errorsor cause for concern during format
> or installation (formatted via XP).
> Did all the updates, loaded AVG, drivers for hardware - no probs.
>
> Have run sfc /scannow - full scan, it closed with no comment so assume all
> is well.
>
> A prob with OE is posted separately
>
> Prob 1 - Wanted to read a Wordpad "readme" on a (current) driver
> installation CD. ERROR - Wordpad could not get a Wordpad 97 "convertor" -
> could not open the file.
>
> Prob 2 - wanted to save time, have MS SP2 CD - tried installing from that,
> almost immediately got an error "file corrupt". No obvious CD damage.
> Downloaded and installed SP2 directly.
>
> As far as I can see, installation is as correct as I can get it. Don't
> think I have a CDRW drive problem (it's a new one) it seems to function in
> all respects.
>
> Anyone any ideas? I'd like to have a dual HDD system using XP Pro, but
> I'm reluctant to do this while Pro seems to have problems. Have yet to
> install both drives - am switching connectors betweeen them - a real pain.
>
> Sincerely, Len.

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 7:17:29 PM

I have 2 optical drives. SP2 attempted from the DVD drive (read-only
drive) - same one that loaded XP Pro, also all the driver CD's, with no
glitches during the processes.
I've d/l SP2 already. so that question's academic now. However, I've also
run sfc /scannow (using same DVD drive) which involves numerous "reads" from
system CD. If it were a faulty drive, odds are very high against a "read"
fail on exact same spot on install CD, yes?.
I have Office, so Word will overcome any future Wordpad shortcomings.
I posted a/ to see if others had had same probs, and b/ for solution to
apparently faulty Wordpad (which is part of XPPro).
Good thought, though - I'll look for a CD/DVDdrive tester. To date no
obvious problems - DVD's work fine, as do audio CD's.

Thanks - Len.

news:o GSofP0IFHA.2476@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

!