SVCHOST showing 100% CPU utilization while running RPCSS

Tags:
  • Security
  • Windows 2000
  • CPUs
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2005 2:07:02 AM

Hi

I m using windows 2000 professional with SP4. I have already apllied all the
security patches which are available till date.

but still SVCHOSTis using 100% CPU utilization while running RPCSS.

do someone help me out on this?

thanx in advance.

TAHIL

More about : svchost showing 100 cpu utilization running rpcss

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
a b à CPUs
April 4, 2005 5:19:11 AM

You will likely need to narrow this down as Rpcss could be validly
driven to consume the cycles by some run-away process that is calling
upon it for services. You say you have all patches applied, and I will
assume that means you have verified that, since there are Rpcss DoS
vulnerabilites that have been patched.
You could try starting the machine afresh without network to try to
divide your resolution space between local applications and network
driven ones.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)