Good moBo for basic OC!

Brunus

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Im buying a E4300 to OCit, and I need a decent Mobo.
But where I live I just found these options for sale:

DFI LANPARTY PRO875-B 800FSB 160,00
ABIT AB9 PRO 155,00
ABIT AB9 140,00
ABIT AW8 955X 160,00
ABIT NI8-SLI 171,00
ASUS P5B DELUXE 196,00
MSI 975X PLATINUM 186,00

(I know the price it's a lot higher compared to newegg, but I don't really have a choice).
What mobo should I get to do a basic OC in a 1.8Ghz E4300 to 2.5ghz-2.9Ghz? (I really don't care about SLI, just want a mobo with good performance and lot's of BIOS settings)

Thanks!

akhilles

Splendid
You're aiming for 333mhz fsb. 333 x 9 (e4300) = 2997 or 3ghz. You'd need at least 666mhz ram to be able to do 1:1 cpu/ram ratio.

My vote goes to ASUS P5B DX. Can you get GA-965P-S3 or DS3? Should be cheaper.

Brunus

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
You're aiming for 333mhz fsb. 333 x 9 (e4300) = 2997 or 3ghz. You'd need at least 666mhz ram to be able to do 1:1 cpu/ram ratio.

My vote goes to ASUS P5B DX. Can you get GA-965P-S3 or DS3? Should be cheaper.

Yeah, Im getting DDR2 666Mhz to my rig.
I'm aiming the maximum OC that I can do without changing the voltage of the components, because I don't want to reduce the life span...

I really can't find GA-965P-S3 or DS3 here... maybe I'll stick to you choice

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
P5B DX is overkill and overpriced for your needs. A Gigabyte 965P-S3 will do just fine like Ahk says. It'll get you 3.0ghz no problem for alot cheaper.

[edit: ok, no Giga. What about the Biostar 965P available? Also raising the volts won't kill your board. The C2D chips don't need much volts and are WAAAAAAY within very acceptable ranges to get to 3.0. Heck, I even have mine running BELOW stock vCore ;) )

akhilles

Splendid
You can try 333mhz fsb at default voltages. Most likely the 1st voltage you raise to make the pc stable is vcore/cpu voltage, beside the right vdimm/ram voltage (1.8v is the default. 1.9v-2.1v are stable volts).

Yep, find Biostar as well. What about MSI 965 Platinum?

Brunus

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I was looking for this Gigabyte MoBo, but couldn't find it.
If I import it, it will cost me more than the ASUS P5B DELUXE :(

No Biostar mobo as well...

I don't want to sound like a pussy, but I really don't want to change the voltage of the processor because, as far as I know, messing around with just the FSB can't harm any of the components...

and between these two, wich one to pick?
ASUS P5B DELUXE
MSI 975X PLATINUM

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
1) "messing around" with the FSB won't harm the computer, so to speak, but it won't give you an overclock either by itself. You can't simply raise the FSB and expect your system to be stable. Won't happen, otherwise everyone in the world would do it. It's not that simple. And even IF you were successful, your overclock would be so minimal that it wouldn't even be worth your time you spend just going into your BISOS to make the change.

2) Tens of thousands (or more) people over the years have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that raising your voltages slightly will not wreck a computer. If you absolutely CRANK IT UP, then your computer should just crash and you reboot at stock settings. No harm, no foul

3) I can appreciate your hesitancy to raise voltages, I truly can. But you've come here for advice, and there are COUNTLESS experts that have been doing this for years. If you don't want the advice you get from everyone, that's your prerogative, but then don't complain about it either. Generally speaking, everyone here is very helpful and also constructive about any criticism.....and we all do it for free because we want to help. We're not getting PAID. So if you don't want to listen to advice and facts, that's fine, but then just exit quietly.

So, to recap:

-if you want to overclock anything of consequence, you will need to touch the voltages
-otherwise, juset buy a C2D chip, some cheap RAM, and leave it at stock....it will still be a FAST system
-ASUS P5B-Deluxe is a good motherboard. If you don't want it, don't get it. Pick something else. MSI is a good choice, and so is Abit Pro. We'll give you the BEST mobo choice, but it's your call. All of those motherboards are fine, so just get the cheapest one since you won't be doing real overclocking. Just get a cheap 945 chipset mobo, some cheap RAM, save yourself the money and hassle, and then you get a decent system and everyone's happy. If, however you decide to do some REAL (and proper) overclocking, then the P5B-Deluxe is great. So is the MSI, so is the Gigabyte, so is the Biostar, so is the P5N-E, so is the EVGA 680i. You need to give us a complete list (or website link) for what's available, or else we can't help you.

So, you need to face the facts. Help us help you.

Brunus

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Skyguy:

1)All right

2)Didn't know that, good to hear :)

3)I really appreciate your time and concern

You gave me the courage to go a bit further than I originally expected...
Im getting a ASUS P5B-Deluxe and proper HSF to OCit

Thanks again for sharing your .02 cents with me 8)

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Not a problem man. Good call on the P5B-DX...it's a very good board, feature rich.

You should be able to get a very respectable overclock on that, you'll see ;)

Glad we could help, post back if you have any more questions! Good luck.