Sign in with
Your question

Quiet PSU?

Last response: in Components
February 20, 2007 10:18:45 AM

Im in the process of getting a new PSU cause im getting my old graphics card upgraded to a 8800GTS 320MB.
Ive read the PSU 101 and i get that i need a 26A+ rail PSU and i was looking at the Seasonic M12 500W, that gives me room for further upgrades in the future.

What im wondering is is there a better PSU for me?
I'd like an modular one that is quiet and efficient over a cheap one, that might be unreliable.

Any help would be appreciated.

More about : quiet psu

February 20, 2007 11:32:58 AM

Quote:
Seasonic M12 500W 38A SLI YES £74.00

That should be ok or should i go with the 600W?

EDIT:
Im really looking for a quiet high-end PSU that is enough for me and i don't mean a 1kW one =).
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 20, 2007 12:48:27 PM

CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX seems to have all i want and to a cheaper price!
Great advice TY.
February 20, 2007 1:02:36 PM

Enermax Liberty series are great. One silent 120mm fan and modular cables. Efficient and high output. I have the 400watt and it has 30a on the 12v rails. They also come in 500w and 620w models.
February 20, 2007 1:09:30 PM

Seems the Enermax Liberty 500W is also a very good buy, it goes for exactly the same price as the CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX at the site im using.
So tor me to decide its a coin toss since i have no experience with PSUs.
a b ) Power supply
a c 359 U Graphics card
February 21, 2007 12:18:52 AM

The three brandnames mentioned all are good. I rank them as follows:

1. Seasonic
2. Corsair
3. Enermax

Buying which ever is cheap is still a good decision.
February 21, 2007 5:46:48 AM

Yeah im leaning towards a Corsair atm since they cost about,

1.Seasonic M12 500W $200 & S12 500W $190
2.Corsair HX520W $160
3.Enermax Liberty 500W $160

here in sweden.

Overall the Corsair sounds like the better deal to me after reading some reviews =)

Thanks for the advice.
February 21, 2007 11:48:41 AM

Good luck :wink:
February 24, 2007 5:51:22 PM

Hey if you want a raelly good and quiet psu with lots of watts modular you can not beat this. the zalman 600hp

http://www.acousticpc.com/zalman_600hp_psu.html

this is a real bargain and it blowes away seasonic trust me i have them both
February 24, 2007 7:38:42 PM

you maybe right they may be made in the same factory alot of psu are but there is a world of diffrence between the Rohs Zalman

you must have not notice the Heatpipe technology inside the zalman as well as the panaflow nmb-mat rohs fan witch is more quiet than the yate loon as well as more durable and if i may add this psu is modular for increase case airflow.

I am familiar with the seasonics its not a bad product but it can not compete with the Zalman aples for apples
February 24, 2007 8:36:53 PM

It's an FSP Epsilon OEM, check out jonny's review apparently Zalman fixed that annoying out-of-spec ripple problem that plagues the FSP/OCZ/Aopen units...
February 24, 2007 9:16:20 PM

There is always the fantastic Hiper Type-R, silent as your grand grand father's grave and powerful like... well something powerful! lol
February 24, 2007 9:39:14 PM

Thanks for the link im going to hold on to it.

I have one of these zalman psu's running in one my rigs and i love it its verry quiet and stable.

But my favorite psu is the QTechnology ROYAL
http://www.acousticpc.com/qtechnology_560_watt_dust_pro...

This is the quietest 2nd quitest PSU you will ever hear

The quietest by 2 or 3 dbs is the QTechnolgy 460w papst

http://www.acousticpc.com/qtechnology_power_supplies.ht...

Theye are suppose to be coming out soon with a 560watt papst at 17 dba

these are my 3 favorite psu's

The QTechnologies are just as efficient as an enermax yet quieter
February 24, 2007 9:43:41 PM

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the 620w Enermax Liberty. :roll:
February 24, 2007 9:47:53 PM

Hipers psu are louder than they claim though they are verry stable and solid but the mesh grill allows the heat to escape all over the case and heat it up.

if the case has a seperate compartment then the hipers are oka but still too loud for my taste id rather have a enermax
February 24, 2007 9:50:51 PM

Jonny dough,

Enermax kicks and it is quiet but Qtechnology and zalman are ultra quiet compare all

http://www.acousticpc.com/quiet_computer_power_supplies...

Seasonics forget it theye run at 35 dba on the new m12

Enernax is just as efficient as the QTechnology but a bit louder in the fan department remeber the Qtch is using Acoustifans and papst
February 24, 2007 10:14:42 PM

I still think the five year warranty sells the deal, for me anyway. I see no other brand offering this.
February 24, 2007 10:27:01 PM

Alright, I took it away :oops: 
February 24, 2007 10:32:18 PM

Quote:
Jonny dough,

Enermax kicks and it is quiet but Qtechnology and zalman are ultra quiet compare all

http://www.acousticpc.com/quiet_computer_power_supplies...

Seasonics forget it theye run at 35 dba on the new m12

Enernax is just as efficient as the QTechnology but a bit louder in the fan department remeber the Qtch is using Acoustifans and papst

A few things to note though...

A. Even if your CPU cooler produces the same noise as your PSU fan, if your CPU fan fluctuates you'll hear it more. When a PSU fan fluctuates it generally goes unnoticed, unless you're going from no system tax to heavy load.

B. Dull whisper silent hums are fine, and if your case is huge and on the floor, the PSU fan is likely to be unheard over any roar of any case fans, 120mm ones included. I have the Enermax 620, and I don't notice it. My CPU fans and case fans are ALL much louder, regardless of what cooler I use and what case fans I have. The ticking of my raptor annoys me more. If your PSU has a 120mm fan, then can probably go ahead and just consider it to be "silent."

I didn't say it was "best" I said one should consider it. It has modular cables and dual-rail with plenty of amps on the 12's for a balanced combined amperage of +30. 32 maybe?

I would probably buy a Corsair or something if I was in the market right now. :-P
February 24, 2007 11:14:20 PM

i never keep a psu for five years by then you out grow it anyway.

For me the silence is important corssair make sthe best ram memory but they have not been doing the psu thing long enough and im sure it's not going to be as quiet as a QTechnology PSU and for me thats important
February 24, 2007 11:15:30 PM

Alright, I took it away :oops: 
February 24, 2007 11:16:42 PM

No, corsair has not been in the psu, but seasonic has :wink:
February 24, 2007 11:17:18 PM

i guess it comes down to this my friend

Warrenty or silence

Ill take the quiet one anyways i ve had Qtech's before runining 24/7 for about 3 years approx no prob i just out grew them so i gave them away.
February 24, 2007 11:20:39 PM

Everett

i mised something here you said

No, corsair has not, but seasonic has

What did you mean seasonic has what over corsair,
February 24, 2007 11:26:23 PM

Sorry, not trying to turn this into something. I'm just typing that I have the hx520w and it is VERY quiet. :)  And if it happens to fail within the alotted warranty time frame, just get a new one for free. Although when the psu goes out it will most likely take other hardware with it. But at least you get another ps. :wink:
February 24, 2007 11:29:55 PM

Quote:
Everett

i mised something here you said

No, corsair has not, but seasonic has

What did you mean seasonic has what over corsair,

seasonic makes the corsair psu. :wink:
February 25, 2007 12:18:54 PM

no prob i just did not under stand what you were saying
actaullay someone on this four said to me that antec makes corrsair.

I really don't know hwat i do know is corrsair makes great memory and they have been getting a run for there money from OCZ, mushkin, Etc.

but it seems like all these memory companies that have made a name for them selves now have PSU.

i persinally would but a psu from a psu comapny and memory from a memory company thats my take.

corrsair has a water cooling kit it's really a second class SWIFTECH and swiftech is not even top dog any more in liquid cooling since theye went public they are turning into a thermaltake all looks oka performance and lies.

for now Danger den is the ticket on liquid cooling.

But getting back to the psu's if seasonic makes them then get it from seasonic but it really does not look like a seasonic to me it looks more like an antec and stay away from antec.

while im not the biggest seasonic fan special the new loud m12 they are a respectable psu,

i have really explored and have alot of psu's and take from me as a friendy advice here is the best

for rated 1 effeciency and rated 1 quiet quiet
QTechnology
http://www.acousticpc.com/qtechnology_560_watt_dust_pro...

Rated 2nd place Quiet and Rated 2nd place Efficency but it is modular and thats a plus
Zalman 600 hp
http://www.acousticpc.com/zalman_600hp_psu.html

And rated number 1 efficiency and 3rd place quiet
http://www.acousticpc.com/enermax_store.html

I am into quiet so im going to go with the Qtech and if i got a build with a window case im using the zalman.

However if for some reason one day need 700 plus watts then i am forced to go with the Enermax as theye control tha part of the market they have quad sli psu's like the galaxy going into 1000 plus watts,

But for now other than these 3 brands i stay away from all antec is not what they use to be and they certainly are not quiet even there quiet modles once you have a quiet tech you will know the meaning of quiet.

Seasonics the new m12 top of the lkine have tha annoying loud 60mm fan at 35 dba not my idea of quiet.

the seasonic s12 series i have listen to it and the fan has a whying sound to it,

you just can't beat the top three i mentioned in quiet it comes down to the fans they use the best qtech uses papst, and acoustifan witch are the best

Zalman uses panaflo nmb-mat and adda fans witch are really good.

and enramax uses there longlife respectably quiet enobal bearing magnetic motor fan.

also keep in mind modular psu are not as stable on the voltage though companies like zalman and enermax say thye have fixed it and im my opinion they have improved it but it's still not the same pc power and cooling even has a nice article on this by the way nice psu uses a fiberglass nidec fan excelent but to loud for me theis is however hands down the loudest yet most stable psu right up there with enermax gold series theye call the enermax the 24\7 psu with the sanyo denli fan i had one in a server running 5 yeras plus nut it was too dang loud so i replaced it with a qtech

andother thing abou mopdular while the feature is nice for case clutter and elimanateds you having to do tucking and tie rapping to hide the cables it runs hotter because of the extra circutry

as far as the unstaedy voltage imn an enermax or zalman witch are the only good modualr out there oh and hiper there is a small fluctuation but in real world yiou prob cant tell but its the extra heat that concerns me .

a hotter psu will run louder and less stable.

and about hiper psu nice modulay system but there not as quiet as they claim and the mesh type grill get all that heat inside your case unless you have a antec 180 pr a lian li v series with a seperate psu compartment i would stay away from hiper's psu's

reguards everrett

Rated 10 Effincy & rated 8 quiet
February 25, 2007 12:22:55 PM

By the way this has nothing to do with psu's but did you or anyone see the pride fight l;ast night.

it was a bad night for the japs and brazilians just like i predicted Dan Henderson opend a can of woop you know what on Vaderlei Silva
February 26, 2007 1:41:38 AM

Quote:
My 580W Type-R is vertually silent. My HDDs are louder then the PSU. So is every other fan and cooler in my system. Though i do have an Antec 900 with all the fans set to low.

I agree, and its not only me, in all the tests that i have read they all found it one of the quietest in existance! The guy that claims that they are not that quiet may have come across a defect or broken product. (Or a fake rebadged Hiper, hehe).
February 26, 2007 8:45:16 AM

Quote:
This is the quietest 2nd quitest PSU you will ever hear

Hehe the whole point was not to hear it. =)

Ah, well didn't check back to see 20+ more posts so i went ahead and got the Corsair 620w, more then i need but good to have. :wink:
February 26, 2007 9:42:43 AM

The PSU in my sig is inaudible. If I'm running TAT or Orthos and I temporarily stop my cpu fan with my finger, I cannot hear my system AT ALL, even with my head next to it. Very solid PSU...
February 26, 2007 10:28:57 AM

What about the Antec Neo HE 500W? Silent and modular.
February 28, 2007 2:10:29 PM

The Corsair HX620W runs perfectly and is even quieter then my old 350W one , ty all for the advice.
February 28, 2007 8:49:04 PM

Quote:
The PSU in my sig is inaudible. If I'm running TAT or Orthos and I temporarily stop my cpu fan with my finger, I cannot hear my system AT ALL, even with my head next to it. Very solid PSU...

That does not mean that your PSU is completely quiet, it could very well indicate that you are going deaf! Hehe...
Enough with the joking though, don't ever do that stupid thing again, stopping a working fan with your fingers or other means or you are very well faced with the danger of burning either the mobo header, ITE chip or the mobo itself, or the fan itself or the PSU.
If you want to test for noise, simply unplug the suspecting fan, test and then replug it.
March 1, 2007 12:07:33 AM

Very wise choice. :wink:
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 2, 2007 4:56:51 PM

No one has mentioned it yet, so I guess it means it is a brand that nobody likes, but the Ultra X2 550W PS is a quiet (nearly silent 120MM fan), modular cabled, and for me a very reliable power supply. It handles my 3800+ and dual 6800 Ultras fine, so I assume it would be enough for your build. What is the general consensus on the quality of Ultra Power supplies?
!