rosu9801

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Im in the process of getting a new PSU cause im getting my old graphics card upgraded to a 8800GTS 320MB.
Ive read the PSU 101 and i get that i need a 26A+ rail PSU and i was looking at the Seasonic M12 500W, that gives me room for further upgrades in the future.

What im wondering is is there a better PSU for me?
I'd like an modular one that is quiet and efficient over a cheap one, that might be unreliable.

Any help would be appreciated.

MayDay94

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Enermax Liberty series are great. One silent 120mm fan and modular cables. Efficient and high output. I have the 400watt and it has 30a on the 12v rails. They also come in 500w and 620w models.

rosu9801

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Seems the Enermax Liberty 500W is also a very good buy, it goes for exactly the same price as the CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX at the site im using.
So tor me to decide its a coin toss since i have no experience with PSUs.

rosu9801

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Yeah im leaning towards a Corsair atm since they cost about,

1.Seasonic M12 500W $200 & S12 500W $190
2.Corsair HX520W $160
3.Enermax Liberty 500W $160

here in sweden.

Overall the Corsair sounds like the better deal to me after reading some reviews =)

Thanks for the advice.

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
you maybe right they may be made in the same factory alot of psu are but there is a world of diffrence between the Rohs Zalman

you must have not notice the Heatpipe technology inside the zalman as well as the panaflow nmb-mat rohs fan witch is more quiet than the yate loon as well as more durable and if i may add this psu is modular for increase case airflow.

I am familiar with the seasonics its not a bad product but it can not compete with the Zalman aples for apples

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Thanks for the link im going to hold on to it.

I have one of these zalman psu's running in one my rigs and i love it its verry quiet and stable.

But my favorite psu is the QTechnology ROYAL
http://www.acousticpc.com/qtechnology_560_watt_dust_proof_psu.html

This is the quietest 2nd quitest PSU you will ever hear

The quietest by 2 or 3 dbs is the QTechnolgy 460w papst

http://www.acousticpc.com/qtechnology_power_supplies.html

Theye are suppose to be coming out soon with a 560watt papst at 17 dba

these are my 3 favorite psu's

The QTechnologies are just as efficient as an enermax yet quieter

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Hipers psu are louder than they claim though they are verry stable and solid but the mesh grill allows the heat to escape all over the case and heat it up.

if the case has a seperate compartment then the hipers are oka but still too loud for my taste id rather have a enermax

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Jonny dough,

Enermax kicks and it is quiet but Qtechnology and zalman are ultra quiet compare all

http://www.acousticpc.com/quiet_computer_power_supplies.html

Seasonics forget it theye run at 35 dba on the new m12

Enernax is just as efficient as the QTechnology but a bit louder in the fan department remeber the Qtch is using Acoustifans and papst

A few things to note though...

A. Even if your CPU cooler produces the same noise as your PSU fan, if your CPU fan fluctuates you'll hear it more. When a PSU fan fluctuates it generally goes unnoticed, unless you're going from no system tax to heavy load.

B. Dull whisper silent hums are fine, and if your case is huge and on the floor, the PSU fan is likely to be unheard over any roar of any case fans, 120mm ones included. I have the Enermax 620, and I don't notice it. My CPU fans and case fans are ALL much louder, regardless of what cooler I use and what case fans I have. The ticking of my raptor annoys me more. If your PSU has a 120mm fan, then can probably go ahead and just consider it to be "silent."

I didn't say it was "best" I said one should consider it. It has modular cables and dual-rail with plenty of amps on the 12's for a balanced combined amperage of +30. 32 maybe?

I would probably buy a Corsair or something if I was in the market right now. :p

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
i never keep a psu for five years by then you out grow it anyway.

For me the silence is important corssair make sthe best ram memory but they have not been doing the psu thing long enough and im sure it's not going to be as quiet as a QTechnology PSU and for me thats important