Unknown Password.

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
April 5, 2005 5:49:01 AM

I have recentally taken over a small network at work and have no knowledge of
any passwords.

The systems are all set up without passwords except the server.
There are four machines that were set up to access the server i assume by
password. Unfortunately i had to rebuild a machine, which funily enough no
longer has access to the server.

I have full access to the server if i sit in front of it but cannot set up
access from another machine.

Any ideas please let me know.
For further details e-mail me at pgilbert@wjp.demon.co.uk

Thanks
Paul

More about : unknown password

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 5, 2005 2:24:31 PM

pgilbert11 wrote:
> I have recentally taken over a small network at work and have no knowledge of
> any passwords.
>
> The systems are all set up without passwords except the server.
> There are four machines that were set up to access the server i assume by
> password. Unfortunately i had to rebuild a machine, which funily enough no
> longer has access to the server.
>
> I have full access to the server if i sit in front of it but cannot set up
> access from another machine.
>
> Any ideas please let me know.
> For further details e-mail me at pgilbert@wjp.demon.co.uk
>
> Thanks
> Paul

I'm taking a wild guess here - would it be a primary school by any
chance? :-)

Could we have more information please? What OS are the server and
clients running: and is the server configured to be a domain controller?

Is the server running DHCP to provide the clients with IP addresses, or
do they have to be assigned manually? If the addressing is incorrect
then the client and server cannot communicate.

andy
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 5, 2005 2:24:32 PM

Hi Andy

No it isn't a primary school, why do you say that?

The server is running Windows 2000pro
The clients are running Windows 98se

The server is not running DHCP.
It is essentially just another system on the network.
All IP addresses are manually set.

All the IP settings have been re-entered correctly for the system that was
rebuilt.

Anymore info please get in touch.

Thanks
Paul

"andy smart" wrote:

> pgilbert11 wrote:
> > I have recentally taken over a small network at work and have no knowledge of
> > any passwords.
> >
> > The systems are all set up without passwords except the server.
> > There are four machines that were set up to access the server i assume by
> > password. Unfortunately i had to rebuild a machine, which funily enough no
> > longer has access to the server.
> >
> > I have full access to the server if i sit in front of it but cannot set up
> > access from another machine.
> >
> > Any ideas please let me know.
> > For further details e-mail me at pgilbert@wjp.demon.co.uk
> >
> > Thanks
> > Paul
>

> I'm taking a wild guess here - would it be a primary school by any
> chance? :-)
>
> Could we have more information please? What OS are the server and
> clients running: and is the server configured to be a domain controller?
>
> Is the server running DHCP to provide the clients with IP addresses, or
> do they have to be assigned manually? If the addressing is incorrect
> then the client and server cannot communicate.
>
> andy

a b 8 Security
April 5, 2005 8:24:41 PM

pgilbert11 wrote:
> Hi Andy
>
> No it isn't a primary school, why do you say that?
>
> The server is running Windows 2000pro
> The clients are running Windows 98se
>
> The server is not running DHCP.
> It is essentially just another system on the network.
> All IP addresses are manually set.
>
> All the IP settings have been re-entered correctly for the system that was
> rebuilt.
>
> Anymore info please get in touch.
>
> Thanks
> Paul
>
> "andy smart" wrote:
>

>>pgilbert11 wrote:
>>
>>>I have recentally taken over a small network at work and have no knowledge of
>>>any passwords.
>>>
>>>The systems are all set up without passwords except the server.
>>>There are four machines that were set up to access the server i assume by
>>>password. Unfortunately i had to rebuild a machine, which funily enough no
>>>longer has access to the server.
>>>
>>>I have full access to the server if i sit in front of it but cannot set up
>>>access from another machine.
>>>
>>>Any ideas please let me know.
>>>For further details e-mail me at pgilbert@wjp.demon.co.uk
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Paul
>>

>>I'm taking a wild guess here - would it be a primary school by any
>>chance? :-)
>>
>>Could we have more information please? What OS are the server and
>>clients running: and is the server configured to be a domain controller?
>>
>>Is the server running DHCP to provide the clients with IP addresses, or
>>do they have to be assigned manually? If the addressing is incorrect
>>then the client and server cannot communicate.
>>
>>andy

Hi Paul

Oh, just sounded like a small school network :-)

Have you checked that you have basic connectivity between the
non-connecting client and the server? Can you ping one from the other?

Also have you made sure that you are using 'client for microsoft
networks' rather than 'windows logon' for the users to log in with
(sorry it's been a while since I worked with 98 clients and my memory is
a bit fuzzy for the exact names).

Actually if you can get the money to upgrade them to 2k, and they'll run
it, you might find a whole load of stuff easier of course :-)

andy
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 7, 2005 7:03:06 AM

Hi Andy

I am able to ping both the server and the client from either machine.
The client can see the server on the network neighbourhood.

When i try and access the server it asks me for a password, which is why i'm
trying to bypass or reset the password.

Any ideas?

Paul

"andy smart" wrote:

> pgilbert11 wrote:
> > Hi Andy
> >
> > No it isn't a primary school, why do you say that?
> >
> > The server is running Windows 2000pro
> > The clients are running Windows 98se
> >
> > The server is not running DHCP.
> > It is essentially just another system on the network.
> > All IP addresses are manually set.
> >
> > All the IP settings have been re-entered correctly for the system that was
> > rebuilt.
> >
> > Anymore info please get in touch.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Paul

> >>I'm taking a wild guess here - would it be a primary school by any
> >>chance? :-)
> >>
> >>Could we have more information please? What OS are the server and
> >>clients running: and is the server configured to be a domain controller?
> >>
> >>Is the server running DHCP to provide the clients with IP addresses, or
> >>do they have to be assigned manually? If the addressing is incorrect
> >>then the client and server cannot communicate.
> >>
> >>andy
> >>
> Hi Paul
>
> Oh, just sounded like a small school network :-)
>
> Have you checked that you have basic connectivity between the
> non-connecting client and the server? Can you ping one from the other?
>
> Also have you made sure that you are using 'client for microsoft
> networks' rather than 'windows logon' for the users to log in with
> (sorry it's been a while since I worked with 98 clients and my memory is
> a bit fuzzy for the exact names).
>
> Actually if you can get the money to upgrade them to 2k, and they'll run
> it, you might find a whole load of stuff easier of course :-)
>
> andy

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 7, 2005 3:11:54 PM

pgilbert11 wrote:
> Hi Andy
>
> I am able to ping both the server and the client from either machine.
> The client can see the server on the network neighbourhood.
>
> When i try and access the server it asks me for a password, which is why i'm
> trying to bypass or reset the password.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Paul
>
> "andy smart" wrote:
>

>>pgilbert11 wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Andy
>>>
>>>No it isn't a primary school, why do you say that?
>>>
>>>The server is running Windows 2000pro
>>>The clients are running Windows 98se
>>>
>>>The server is not running DHCP.
>>>It is essentially just another system on the network.
>>>All IP addresses are manually set.
>>>
>>>All the IP settings have been re-entered correctly for the system that was
>>>rebuilt.
>>>
>>>Anymore info please get in touch.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Paul

>>Hi Paul
>>
>>Oh, just sounded like a small school network :-)
>>
>>Have you checked that you have basic connectivity between the
>>non-connecting client and the server? Can you ping one from the other?
>>
>>Also have you made sure that you are using 'client for microsoft
>>networks' rather than 'windows logon' for the users to log in with
>>(sorry it's been a while since I worked with 98 clients and my memory is
>>a bit fuzzy for the exact names).
>>
>>Actually if you can get the money to upgrade them to 2k, and they'll run
>>it, you might find a whole load of stuff easier of course :-)
>>
>>andy

If you can log onto the server, can you do with admin rights? If you can
then you should be able to change the passwords/set access rights/etc
for any resource on the server.

Can you confirm, when you say "access the server" what exactly do you
mean? Are you trying to connect to a share on the server? When you say
the server is running 2000pro, I assume you mean 2000server? 2000pro is
a client OS and as such is a different beast to a 2000 server.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 7, 2005 5:27:55 PM

Ouch -Windows 98. You could create a new user account on the Windows 2000
computer and use that account on the Windows 98 computer to access the
Windows 2000 computer shares. You would need to configure Windows 98 in
networking properties to logon to Windows networking I believe. Windows 98
uses .pwl files to store passwords. You may be able to copy user profile and
..pwl files from the old computers to the rebuilt computer. I don't have any
W98 computers around to play with right now. The link below explains W98
..pwl files. The second link explains where in the registry to look for
autologon configuration which may also help. --- Steve

http://lastbit.com/vitas/pwl.asp
http://www.windowsquest.com/NonCGI/Forum5/HTML/000001.h...

"pgilbert11" <pgilbert11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Andy
>
> No it isn't a primary school, why do you say that?
>
> The server is running Windows 2000pro
> The clients are running Windows 98se
>
> The server is not running DHCP.
> It is essentially just another system on the network.
> All IP addresses are manually set.
>
> All the IP settings have been re-entered correctly for the system that was
> rebuilt.
>
> Anymore info please get in touch.
>
> Thanks
> Paul
>
> "andy smart" wrote:
>
>> pgilbert11 wrote:
>> > I have recentally taken over a small network at work and have no
>> > knowledge of
>> > any passwords.
>> >
>> > The systems are all set up without passwords except the server.
>> > There are four machines that were set up to access the server i assume
>> > by
>> > password. Unfortunately i had to rebuild a machine, which funily
>> > enough no
>> > longer has access to the server.
>> >
>> > I have full access to the server if i sit in front of it but cannot set
>> > up
>> > access from another machine.
>> >
>> > Any ideas please let me know.
>> > For further details e-mail me at pgilbert@wjp.demon.co.uk
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Paul
>>

>> I'm taking a wild guess here - would it be a primary school by any
>> chance? :-)
>>
>> Could we have more information please? What OS are the server and
>> clients running: and is the server configured to be a domain controller?
>>
>> Is the server running DHCP to provide the clients with IP addresses, or
>> do they have to be assigned manually? If the addressing is incorrect
>> then the client and server cannot communicate.
>>
>> andy

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 8, 2005 12:38:07 PM

Steven L Umbach wrote:
> Ouch -Windows 98. You could create a new user account on the Windows 2000
> computer and use that account on the Windows 98 computer to access the
> Windows 2000 computer shares. You would need to configure Windows 98 in
> networking properties to logon to Windows networking I believe. Windows 98
> uses .pwl files to store passwords. You may be able to copy user profile and
> .pwl files from the old computers to the rebuilt computer. I don't have any
> W98 computers around to play with right now. The link below explains W98
> .pwl files. The second link explains where in the registry to look for
> autologon configuration which may also help. --- Steve
>
> http://lastbit.com/vitas/pwl.asp
> http://www.windowsquest.com/NonCGI/Forum5/HTML/000001.h...
>
> "pgilbert11" <pgilbert11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi Andy
>>
>>No it isn't a primary school, why do you say that?
>>
>>The server is running Windows 2000pro
>>The clients are running Windows 98se
>>
>>The server is not running DHCP.
>>It is essentially just another system on the network.
>>All IP addresses are manually set.
>>
>>All the IP settings have been re-entered correctly for the system that was
>>rebuilt.
>>
>>Anymore info please get in touch.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Paul

>>>I'm taking a wild guess here - would it be a primary school by any
>>>chance? :-)
>>>
>>>Could we have more information please? What OS are the server and
>>>clients running: and is the server configured to be a domain controller?
>>>
>>>Is the server running DHCP to provide the clients with IP addresses, or
>>>do they have to be assigned manually? If the addressing is incorrect
>>>then the client and server cannot communicate.
>>>
>>>andy

We used to have to use 'client for microsoft networks' rather than
'windows logon' and then configure that to log into domain when we used
them. So glad we have XP pro now.....
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 15, 2005 9:36:02 AM