Beazel

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Blah blah blah, pretty common. However, I am too poor to get any tech support, and lack the time to install a new fan myself. Is it possible just to unplug this sucker and monitor the temps (Couldnt find a good program) to see how it does. Or will it undoubtedly fry my mobo?

kshipper

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Those chipsets get very hot so I wouldn't unplug the chipset fan and try to use it. You can change the fan to a passive cooler from Zalman. I have done that quite a few times with 100% success. The only downside to this is the motherboard has to come out to get to the backside when removing the old fan and installing the new cooler.

You start by unplugging the power cord from the wall and removing the tiny screws you see below the fan blades of the chipset. You will need a very small screwdriver set (like the kind the use for watches). Once the top side is gone you will likely see some plastic clips that are holding the fan base to the chipset. This is the part where the motherboard comes out.

I recommend you take a digital picture of where everything goes or at least make a good diagram of where everything goes before you remove the wires. If you are careful you can leave the RAM and the CPU/heatsink attached (The CPU/Heatsink is a little too heavy on a motherboard that isn't mounted). Carefully lift the motherboard out and don't let it flex too much. Tip the motherboard on it's end and remove the plastic clips by poking them back up and through. Once they are off you should clean of the old goop from the chipset with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol & a tissue or cotton swab (you can get the alcohol at the drugstore). Don't use 70% rubbing alcohol (It has oils in it for your skin).

You really have no choice here. That chipset needs cooling and if you don't cool it the chipset will overheat anyways and you are into a motherboard so it is best to tackle this while it can be done for the price of a cooler. The Zalamans come with excellent instructions so I won't bother explaining how to install them. They cost about $20 and usually go under the name 'Northbridge Passive Cooler"

Beazel

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Well, I really don't have the time so I guess I'll just move the case below a desk or something to mute out the grinding. Even if I wanted to do anything about it, its located right under my PCI-express slot (More like right behind). So, I'm more or less screwed.

Beazel

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Alright, I have a 133-K8-NF4 mobo. It just got worst so I'm deciding to do something. I need a heatsink that'll fit behind a 8800, as I'll be ordering that, a new PSU, and a new fan all at once. Also, do I need some Artic Silver? Or does that just apply to CPU's? Thanks for the help.

Beazel

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
I'm not, but I'm hoping to get a 8800GTS which takes 2 slots I believe.

Just to confirm, this is my mobo :
evga2.jpg

Beazel

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Oh, I know that one wont work. My end of my 7800 is right above the fan, let alone a 8800 taking up 2 slots . :-/ Even with my current fan, I'm not sure if a 8800 will fit, the 7800 is making contact with the heatsink. Argh. That aside, I can't seem to find anything that'll fit the requirements.

Beazel

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Alright, not really sure what to do. All the fans you guys suggested won't fit, the depth of the heatsink and fan all in all is only about 15mm. I can't find the same fan, or something similar.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=993564&Tab=0&NoMapp=0
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1445196&Tab=11&NoMapp=0

I called EVGA, and they didn't have any in to send me. They simply suggested the 2 above. No matter what I buy, will I need to order some Arctic Silver too? Or can I just smack the new heatsink/fan on the NB? I assume not.