D-Link DGL-4300

SinofEnvy

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
I was wondering, when speculating about whether I should buy the DGL-4300, if the DGL-4300 is just a router and thus requires a modem to be connected to it, or am I simply able to just plug in my internet line into the DGL-4300 and after setting it up, I'll have it working? (Long sentence, woo!)

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I have the DGL-4300 Gaming Lounge router. It uses a modem just like a regular router. In my case it greatly improved my link speed and lowers ping during gaming. This router shine really well during gaming on high traffic network, as in my case can support all four pc during online gaming without any lagging.

And keep in mind that there's also a router/modem from D-Link.

SinofEnvy

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
Thanks a lot man - So, does this router also handle 8 Mbit+ internet speeds in practice? (I've had routers that said they could handle ADSL2 which is 8Mbit+, but in fact they could never gain a higher speed than 7900 Kbit :/)

Edit Or does that depend on the Modem? :/

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
It's been benched around 100 Mb/s WAN throughput by Tom's, so it should be able to handle 8 Mb/s with ease. Of course, it's not a modem, so you'll need a modem capable of doing that as well in front of it.

SinofEnvy

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
Anyone that can recommend me a (cheap yet good, doesn't need to be SPECTACULAR) modem to use with the DGL-4300?
As said, it needs to be able to handle ADSL2 speeds. That's it really. It should be cheap too XD (I'll be nearly broke after getting the DGL-4300 lol)

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I used a regular modem since my connection (SBC Yahoo Elite) has a speed of 2.5Mb and my modem can handle up to 3.5Mb. If you connection is faster then you should look at faster modem that can handle that speed. Calling you internet service can help you with what kind of modem that is good for your connection.

My connection:

2.5Mb SBC Yahoo Elite
D-Link DGL-4300 gaming router
Speedstream modem 3.5Mb

How many pc do you have using your network?

frankienyc123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Im using the Dlink di-634m which is very similar to the 4300 without the gaming features, it uses the same chip. Ive found it handles my 15/2 cable connection very well and performs far better than the Belkin 7321-4 that it replaced. The Belkin would always freeze up on me when downloading large files on Utorrent but the Dlink is rock stable no freeze ups so far and its been almost 2 weeks. Also my download speeds on Utorrent increased an average of 25%. Also with my Vonage voip I would get pretty crappy voice quality with the Belkin but now wioth the Dlink it works flawlessly. So if the di634m is this good the 4300 must be at least equally as good if not better since its got the gaming features and gigabit capabilities.