Sign in with
Your question

New Mobo/CPU - would you reinstall Windows?

Last response: in CPUs
February 20, 2007 1:46:57 PM

Hey guys - I just got my new system (C2D E6600) and am faced with a dilemma. Should I go through the hassle of doing a clean install of Windows XP on a new drive? I've had XP running for 5 years with no problems, but I am aware that a clean install usually results in a quicker, more stable OS that is free of "gunk."

My only drawback to doing this, of course, is having to reinstall every program and then re-tailor XP to my liking. That's a lot of work, especially when it involves tweaks such as disabling uneeded services, etc. I'd basically be jumpng ship on 5 years of fine tuning. I'm posting this to get your thoughts - based on experience or otherwise, as to what you think I should do.

Windows is currently on a IDE 100 drive, and while I have a free SATA-II available, I know the speed improvement won't be that significant. However, since the mobo/CPU change, I'm getting the dreaded BSOD, which means my only two options are a repair install or starting over from scratch. It seems results with the former have been mixed, which has added to my uncertainty as to what to do.

As always, thanks in advance!
February 20, 2007 1:48:49 PM

Existing install of XP won't work on a different CPU and motherboard. The OS identifies the components and marries itself to them.
February 20, 2007 1:51:22 PM

Quote:
Existing install of XP won't work on a different CPU and motherboard. The OS identifies the components and marries itself to them.

Thanks for the lightning-fast reply! I thought I read that a repair install will "re-marry" the new components, though? I assume that if you were in my shoes, this would be a no-brainer for you?
Related resources
February 20, 2007 1:59:15 PM

If your replacing the mobo its best to just reinstall. I mean, if its life or death there are ways to get around a reinstall, but its way more trouble then its worth.
February 20, 2007 2:07:30 PM

Reinstall windows. Just do it. Your computer will be happier, and so will you.
February 20, 2007 2:23:59 PM

Quote:
Reinstall windows. Just do it. Your computer will be happier, and so will you.

Yeah, I know you're right. If I didn't, I would always be thinking, "how much better could my OS be running right now?" I don't think we'll ever see the day where MS comes up with a solution that matches the effectiveness of a clean install. XP is great, but as OS's go, it's still pretty messy. At least I have all my personal files backed up, and this will be my first attempt to see if Ghost 10 can actually restore them.
February 20, 2007 2:34:39 PM

Format a windows partion and do a new install is much easier and removes all the unecessary crud that windows accumulates as you load and delete programs.
February 20, 2007 2:50:26 PM

The easiest way to do what you are asking for is using ntbackup.

1. Backup everything on the old machine wtih ntbackup on a USB drive.
2. Install new hardware.
3. Install fresh copy of XP.
4. Use ntbackup to restore your system.

This is the only method I have found that replaces the HAL, which allows you to migrate from a single core to dual core CPU.
!