Sign in with
Your question

VISTA SUX, even Ballmer is Balking on slow sales.

Last response: in Systems
February 20, 2007 1:53:25 PM

Let's face it. Vista SUX, and IE 7 SUX! but just like in previous OS load outs we all said the same thing for about 2 years. Then we gave in to going for it.

Or are they BITTER PILLS that MS wants us to swallow?

WE clamored for years about MS Security issues.

Some of us went to LINUX and Firefox.

Now Firefox has a huge Critical flaw that Mozilla says hasn't been exploited yet. But they are trying to nail down a fix for it.

Even 2 countries (Cuba and Venezuala) presidents are saying open source only! Is there a world fight against MS? Won't matter much to MS in the long run unless we all change over to Linux.

But the biggest downside of Linux is low amount of customer support, and it is Not SCALEABLE. If your a business of 20 employees or more you would be committing suicide if u invested in Linux for your networks.

MS really didn't test Vista in one more way: most computer users are middle class consumers. MS failed to realize that most ppl wont spend bigger bucks for a higher end pc to replace their incomaptible old one to run VISTA.

With high fuel prices, high property taxes, high rents, more bills going higher, food prices increasing, less affordable housing.

MS needs to get off its' high horse and look at the mainstream.

The world economy is not ready for an OS that requires huge upgrades or complete rebuilds.

they should have hired Steve Gibson at www.grc.com to make the Vista code smaller and more efficient.

More efficient coding means much better overall hardware usage that's already out there.

It seems that the CPU wars are driven by the need for bigger and badder pc systems. (Obvious for years)

read this for turning your Vista UAC alerts off:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070220/tc_pcworld/129...;_ylt=AtAevwQvqvTbNJNfMd.R7qEjtBAF

We are telling all our customers to wait at least 6 months before trying Vista so that hardware can catch up!

The bottom line is Keep using XP pro with our current systems and we just have to use Multiple security fixes to stay clean and running. Multiple spy cleaners, multiple antivirus, multiple firewalls....whens it gonna end?

Configure your antivirus so they arent checking your internet for updates at all times of the day

Configure your firewalls to allow certain ports for mmorgs while blocking all the rest. (there are 65535 ports)

But hackers and rogue businesses are into making fake and scam Spy cleaners.

There needs to be a Consumer Reports on Valid Security PC cleaners.

We know that current scam softwares and sites are Xupiter.com, LOP.com, Spysherrif, Spytrooper. ANYONE have a bigger list of BAD spy cleaners than me?

We Need a new revolutionary fix that's fast, secure, and compatible with everything we have. Any ideas?
February 20, 2007 2:14:25 PM

Quote:
Let's face it. Vista SUX, and IE 7 SUX!

if it sucks so bad... don't use it... just don't whine about it either!!
February 20, 2007 2:17:16 PM

LOL :roll:
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 20, 2007 2:28:30 PM

Not whining..just thought i'd provide some info for the noobs which u seem to think u are above, Just LIKE what MS does to us.

Obviously u didnt read the whole post.

Do u think you could provide some Spy cleaners that are bogus?
February 20, 2007 2:30:46 PM

Or type in bold.

Logical statements would work too.

I'm not saying Linux is for everyone but to say it's not scalable is silly.
There are many Governments and other large companies that have done so.

Why do you want a list of all bad "SpyWare Cleaners".
All you need is ONE that works :>

Efficiency can also be over-rated.
A Volkswagen Rabbit Diesel is far more efficient than a Porshe.

Personally, I would rather drive the Porsche.

Of course there are hiccups with Vista (The OS itself, 3rd party software, etc...) To think it would be otherwise is silly and flies in the face of history of other Windows upgrades.
February 20, 2007 2:33:13 PM

What information did you provide?
The post contains no usable information.
February 20, 2007 2:35:09 PM

omg, I got a wallpaper with chavez, castro and gates making a group hug on my computer!!! and I'm running all those programs!!!!!1oneone.

Do you think noobs read forums.

Do you think trolls read forums, I am a troll, and would like to talk about it. :twisted: GROUP HUG FOR ALL THE NOOB VISTA USERS!
February 20, 2007 2:43:53 PM

Personally I really like IE7. Vista I agree no one needs it until DX10 in which case gamers and graphics. Personally I ran the beta on my laptop for 5 months without a single problem. However my laptop did run better with XP on it. Once I added a 1gb SD card into my internal memory reader however the performance was more comparable to mine with XP. Vista expensive? Of course it will be, 99% of people should just ignore it and say hmm what's this Vista thing with my new Dell. I'm sure you have your point but I can do without the huge font bolded.
February 20, 2007 2:46:22 PM

Any ideas? Actually, yes.

Unplug your computer.

No virues, no spyware, no OS hacks, no problems.

Read a book, go out to a movie, take a walk, climb a tree, eat some chocolate, write a poem, have a nap, visit a friend, write a letter ON PAPER, take a roadtrip, make some memories.........

Use your computer at work, do your job, collect your paycheck, go home and unplug your computer. Try it sometime, see if you can survive 3 days. If you can't, then go see a doctor or psychologist because you have a problem.

Oh, and I'm dead serious. Not a joke. There are things in life worth changing, things that aren't worth changing, and things that can't be changed. Learn the difference, re-evaluate some life priorities, and go take that roadtrip.

You'll be thankful you did.
February 20, 2007 2:46:53 PM

the fact that you posted on toms in bold letters takes away your points really badly. have you used it? im assuming your making this post from an os that is anything other then windows correct?
if you could, could you make your next post with screenshots covering all the bad parts of windows vista, explaining why its bad? and please dont post the uac pop up, cause we already know how to edit the list of things it warns you about. oh wait... you didnt know you could edit it? more of a reason to research your arguments before posting them. mmc ftw.
February 20, 2007 2:51:38 PM

people who use nothing but caps either think they are special, what they have to say is special, or for some reason feel they deserve special attention. none of these seem to be the case. a post in all caps is difficult to read or take seriously becasue it looks like a 4th grader wrote it. (aside from your spelling)
February 20, 2007 2:56:35 PM

Quote:
Any ideas? Actually, yes.

Unplug your computer.

if you can survive 3 days. If you can't, then go see a doctor or psychologist because you have a problem.

i have a problem (but i don't have a virus)
doctors and shrinks can eff-off. we are a part of the evolution of the human race. cybernauts in a brave new world.
February 20, 2007 2:59:46 PM

Quote:
We Need a new revolutionary fix that's fast, secure, and compatible with everything we have. Any ideas?
[/size]

Yes, lay off the caffeine.
February 20, 2007 3:01:47 PM

Then don't see a doctor. But look in the mirror and see the need for change from within. Why does everyone cry about what everyone else does and then feel sorry for themselves? Just fix ONE THING about our own selves, and the world would be a much better place. Why cry about M$ and whatever other garbage?

The notion is admirable, the griping isn't. He needs to get a reality check (like all of us at some point in life) and see the world doesn't revolve around him. So unplug the computer, take a deep breath, and venture into the Great Unplugged World........... :roll:

Cybernauts in the great human evolution? HA! Or don't you mean devolution? Losing perspective in life is progress? I beg to differ.........
February 20, 2007 3:03:42 PM

whoa...

I ran vista when it was in the form of RC2 and it worked great ... no problems . also if your computer is not up to the vista standard then you can run vista in classic mode ..oh man problem solved!!!

computer are getting cheap as of now any core 2 duo processor coupled with any graphics card should do just fine. even the integrated Intel graphics can run vista on full.

the people with old computers ether don't care about vista or they will buy a new computer so ...blah

NEVER I SAY NEVER TYPE A MESSAGE WITH LARGE BOLD CAPITAL TEXT... IT MAKES IT LONG TO READ AND MAKE YOU APPEAR STUPID
February 20, 2007 3:04:14 PM

I like Windows Vista and the few problems I have had don't deter from the overall experience. Most of the problems are with 3rd party drivers or 3rd party programs. I don't think M$ should have to take all of the blame for this. Performance and driver support will get better over time, and I don't see any reason why it won't become as adopted as XP over the next 12-18 months.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 20, 2007 3:20:41 PM

It's been this way forever, nothing new.

Win95 was slower than W4WG's. PC Mag;s yearly roundup issue of 100 PC's showed this emphatically though they did their best to hide any comparison between the two OS's. In their 1995 roundup they received like 65 W95 boxes and 35 W4WGs ones. They separated the tables for machines with each OS by 100 pages and the editors and reviewers spent many paragraphs detailing how machines with one vid card typically outperformed others by 2% and how ones with SCSI HD's outperformed IDE ones by 5%. What they did NOT mention was that the W4WGs machines trounced their Win95 counterparts by almost 40% on average.

Since then every MS OS has been slower than the one before it. Ever new OS has had more user restriction imposed than the one before it. While they have made installation and management easier for the n00b, such has been made increasingly harder for the power user.

The average corporate cost of "upgrading" from W4WGs to Win95 was $2500-$4500 ..... nice ROI there..... An average of $3500 investment has a return of 40% less productivity.

Corporations were so shy of buying the latest release from Redmond that, to keep stockholders happy, MS had to resort to reporting each Win2k sale after XP's release as "an XP sale with free downgrade to Win2k".

Performance peaked with NT4. Since then MS has built in so many background processes and overhead in order to address other shortcomings (like browser usage) that it's like a racehorse with a lead filled saddle. Sure NT came with IE but it could be uninstalled. Without the saddle it would run pretty darn nice but the saddle is now grafted to the horse's bone structure.
February 20, 2007 3:48:50 PM

Preach on brother!
a b B Homebuilt system
February 20, 2007 3:50:03 PM

If you don't like it....don't use it. in all these years I have not got any virus's or spyware....If you are not a N00B then it is not much of a problem....

Once something becomes common....People want to exploit it(ie. firefox)....That is the only reason MAC users claim they are virus free....give it time....there are plenty of exploits there too.....even linux has some holes....

Give Vista some time. I sure as hell aint gonna get it till SP1 comes out....But it is a step in the right direction....

BOTTOM LINE....IF YOU DONT LIKE IT....DONT USE IT.....
February 20, 2007 3:53:37 PM

Vista is not that buggy at all. Driver support and software updates are lacking. From a certain point of view if you lump those factors in it's buggy.

I have high-end hardware E6600 and 4Gb of ram 8800GTX and mainstream hardware at the office P4 3Ghz w/ 1Gb of ram ATI PCI 1300 and have to say I hate having to go back to XP for certain tasks.

I agree that it's bloated and coding could be much tighter but it's at least as stable as XP.

Linux as desktop would not be practical for business at this time but as a server it's a better solution and cheaper than Unix just not worth convert for current Unix users in most cases.

As for upgrading starting with our next round (summer) of corporate purchases will likely be Vista. The current round are being purchased with Vista express upgrades. We will not be upgrading any current systems as there is no reason.
February 20, 2007 4:09:47 PM

I'm no Vista fan, HDCP DRM and all that. But I used RC1 and really didn't have any problems with it, especially considering the early release. But if Cuba and Venezuela Don't want Vista, then I will have to go out and buy a copy today.
February 20, 2007 4:40:20 PM

1st mistake: slagging MS and vista because no-one cares anymore. They get slagged enough everyday on this forum and the same answer is used: 'don't like it, don't use it.'

2nd mistake: writing in a font larger than your brain(small, isn't it?) if i wanted a larger font i would just zoom in. Maybe you thought making the font bigger would encourage more people to read it but it has most likely done the opp.
February 20, 2007 6:51:31 PM

Stop whining about stuff you can't change.
February 20, 2007 7:37:50 PM

I vote that none of us reply to this thread at all anymore.........we all know where this is going and how it will end up............
Anonymous
February 20, 2007 8:07:00 PM

Quote:
Stop whining about stuff you can't change.

Hahaha you are just cattle then noob.

Follow on, follow on, follow on
February 20, 2007 8:07:03 PM

Any reason that was in bold? Stupid pleb.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 20, 2007 8:23:23 PM

Quote:
Vista is not that buggy at all. Driver support and software updates are lacking. From a certain point of view if you lump those factors in it's buggy.....As for upgrading starting with our next round (summer) of corporate purchases will likely be Vista. The current round are being purchased with Vista express upgrades. We will not be upgrading any current systems as there is no reason.

Corporate strategy generally has been in accordance with the mantra "It's still a beta until SP3. Gates has been so upset by this that he has delayed the "official" release of SP3 for XP until after Vista. So if you install XPSP2 today, you have to go and download some 80+ updates.

However if ya use Belarc to check the status of all your required updates, you will see, if you are up to date, you will have about 84 or son updates identified as being part of SP3. Bill may be in denial but his engineers and the rest of the world accept the fact that SP3 is already on our XP computers.

SP2 we must remember broke some 200 programs (Killed AutoCAD for us) and I receive notices weekly from software / hardware vendors saying to hold off on any Vista upgrades. We have Quickbooks Premier 2007 and were recently informed that tho the program is certified for Vista, there are several difficulties with payroll and other features. My wife, a bookkeeper, has reinstalled QBP2007 6 times so far trying to resolve issues with Intuit TS to no avail.

Sure these problems will eventually be straightened out. The question is does your business want to spend the time and money solving them or let others live on the bleeding edge bear the brunt of this ?

There is no avoiding the fact however that, on the same hardware, Vista will be slower than XP......XP is slower than Win2k....and so on. That's not saying "Don't use it".......that's saying:

1. Don't upgrade unless you can live with the performance hit and the compatability, bug and other problems that are to be expected with anything "new"..

or

2. Don't upgrade your OS unless you upgrade your hardware enough to compensate for the performance hit from the increased overhead and that enough time has passed to allow most of the bugs and incompatabilities the invariably are contained in any new OS product.
February 20, 2007 10:27:59 PM

I love Vista. No, seriously, I really love Vista.

The reason for loving Vista is because I get a new computer. I have been dying for a new computer. But justifying a new computer just because you want one is not the norm in most businesses.

See, my business purchases computers in cycles. We never buy new OS for the computers and we generally don't buy new software packages. We prefer to buy new computers fully loaded with all the current stuff. What ever is current will be loaded on the computer.

And we a little slow in our upgrading.

Shucks darn, when I purchased a new 'puter for my father in early 2006 I was replacing our original Win98 unit purchased way back in '97/'98.

(Hey, if it is working, why get rid of it?)

Late last fall, the company finished dumping the last of our 6 year old computers. All were loaded with Win98.

We just don't move very fast.

My business computer is from early 2002 with WinXP.

From a pure business standpoint, there is nothing "wrong" with my 5 year old personal business computer. It does everything that it is suppose to do. It might take half the day to complete a task, but the task will be completed. From that same pure business standpoint, my computer is not scheduled for replacement.

But there are computers scheduled for replacement late this year. Not a lot, but there are some computers to be replaced this year, and somebody has to be the "Tester".

That testing task falls to me. I was the first user in the company with a Win98 computer. I was the first user in the company with a XP computer. And I will be the first user with a Vista computer.

If Vista had been delayed for another year, I would be stuck with my current computer and we would have still upgraded those computers this fall ..... and the computers would have been loaded with WinXP.

Thank goodness Vista has been released. Now I get a new computer. And this fall the new computers will be loaded with the current MS OS, which just happens to be Vista.

Like I said ... I love Vista.
February 20, 2007 11:36:31 PM

Thanx for reading to all who responded :)  provided me with a few laffs, which are too few for me.

zen whay would we need a list of bad spyware cleaners? well if we can avoid the bad ones, it would help the community as a whole.

You see there's a thing called the HOSTS file, ever heard of it?
February 21, 2007 12:09:42 AM

Dont like it, dont buy it. Thats the essence of capitalism.

Next Post :!:
February 21, 2007 12:14:04 AM

Hosts file? Is that what a waitress uses to fix hangnails?

But seriously you request the impossible.
The list of "Bad Spyware" clearners is a moving target that can't be tarted.

What you need to know is the one you are going to use.
The rest of the info is pointless from our perspective.

This is liking asking for a list of every motherboard that you should NOT use in building your new ocmputer. Then asking for evey graphics card you should NOT use. Then for every PSU you should NOT use.

In all my years of consulting, this is the first time I ever saw somebody request a list of all software that should not be used instead of what should be used.............
February 21, 2007 12:28:51 AM

Quote:
You see there's a thing called the HOSTS file, ever heard of it?

And what about it? I used Spyware Blaster to protect it (I guess :roll: ). You can download newer one from several website (sorry, forget where is it). Like somebody said (sorry, too lazy to search and quote), why must you list out bad antispywares if you can have one that's legitimate/ genuine/ good/ working (take your pick, I don't mind whichever you choose). I like Vista (not sure if I love it, it was uncracked RTM version), but since my current rig is underpowered, my solution is simple, just don't use it. My XP Pro can do what I wanted it to do currently, so why bother about other things?
February 21, 2007 12:40:20 AM

My bros: u are just not seasoned enuf with bad hacker experiences!

There are rogue sites out there that push their malwares into ur un-firewalled pc without your permission and without you knowing about it.

Sometimes even with a firewall they can get thru.

What i'm trying to do is share info that if u do lots of web browsing then u should make a HOSTS file.

Check out my new post HELP SAVE YOUR HDD, MAKE a HOSTS file.

hugs to all :) 
February 21, 2007 12:52:29 AM

Quote:
My bros: u are just not seasoned enuf with bad hacker experiences!

There are rogue sites out there that push their malwares into ur un-firewalled pc without your permission and without you knowing about it.

Sometimes even with a firewall they can get thru.

Want a list of bad software?

How about trying these suggestions:

"reallygppdspywaresweepernotronmcafaatrojan"

or

"webethebombantivirus"

The names listed don't matter, 2 minutes later the cover names will change and you will have to print an entirely new list.
February 21, 2007 12:57:08 AM

Quote:

Microsofts problems are they canablize new programs which only makes their OS bulky and slow. Their attempt to make their OS do everything they loss focus on the fact they need to fix the 4GB max XP. Yes they do fix it with the 64bit versions but OEM 32bit versions just dont. M$ should sale the OEM 32 and 64bit versions as 1 and make tools for good companys to make great programs. M$ needs to atleast address current motherboards, memory wise IE 32GB's, with a home version. M$ limits their premium home versions to 16GB is just stupid low cutthroat business.

M$ goals needs to be make a lean stable OS with tools like DX10 and visual C++/Visual basic to advance their software.
February 21, 2007 1:48:56 AM

Quote:
MS really didn't test Vista in one more way: most computer users are middle class consumers. MS failed to realize that most ppl wont spend bigger bucks for a higher end pc to replace their incomaptible old one to run VISTA.

With my undying love (and lack there of) for vista aside. This comment stikes me odd.

Middle class won't spend big bucks on new hardware to replace their old ones ? First we must define middle class (broadly defined as those earning $25,000 to $99,999 ) and then define high end. Just a month back, I worked to help a couple replace thier old PC. A celeron 1.4Ghz, 384MB of ram, 20 GB HD, 16 meg video card with an $800 Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, 2GB of ram, 250gig HD, 128 Meg video card. Do you consider $800 big bucks ? Even with Vista, this system screams compared to their older system. Heck the $600 X2 4400+ would have been a screamer

I would guess the average middle class person keeps their PC 2-3 years before an upgrade (at least all the people I know) and in 3 years, the tech has moved so far ahead, that even with a 20% slower OS, the 50-60% faster hardware makes it unnoticable.

I've been playing around quite a bit with Vista and in all my games, I don't see any more than a 10-15% slowdown than under XP. And some of that may be resolved with better drivers. But if I'm getting 141fps in FEAR and I drop down to 130 fps in Vista. Who cares in terms that the game is still 100% playable ?

I hate alot of the new look and feel of Vista, but my Girlfriend loves it ! And it plays her Sims games just as good (as far as she can tell) as it did under XP. Arguable it's more secure and protects her better than XP from her (and those evil doers of the world) so it's a fair tradeoff to her.

Again, I have no love loss for Vista, but it's not completely evil, it just has a really gay interface (I mean that in a happy campy way)
February 21, 2007 2:03:19 AM

hehe, i'm allergic to all Coffee products and tea!

want to know my other allergies?

for 25 yrs i used to be allergic to all kinds of fruits, then i had 14 Silver fillings removed, out of 32 teeth, and 3 years later i can eat all types of fruits.

The Mercury had something to do with leaching out of thee amalgams (silver fillings). BUt if i try to sue all my previous dentists and the fed gov't it would be a waste of time cause there is no clinical evidence to tell that Free and unbonded Mercury in Amalgams leaches slowly into the body causing dozens of bodily complications.

I am still allergic to Sesame seeds, Cashews, swimming fish, and crab.

I can have clams, mussels, lobster, shrimp, canned tuna, and caviar.

But i rarely eat seafood anyway because i am also allergic to cross- contamination, ever heard of that?

PS: I haven't begun to list my Vegetable allergies :( 

So Asian REstaurants and BUrger king are places i cant go. Unless i ask them to not place Sesame seeds on the food items.
February 21, 2007 2:08:05 AM

Thnx for responding, MAn from Ky :) 

I wonder if Kentucky whiskey is more higly favored than Tennessee whiskey?

I used the term "most" because its a term of logic from my old college days...

thatnx for taking it with a "pinch of salt " :) 
February 21, 2007 2:10:57 AM

AN intelligent post from one of our Forum Vets :) 

I love your prolific use of the term "if" :) 
February 21, 2007 2:15:57 AM

I was once called a TROLL by many users at www.minasi.com

I really didnt think i was one at the time...but sometimes i do speak my mind without giving it thought.

I think thats one of my worst habits.

BUt i do have some great intuition for solving computer problems which comes from 27 years of dealing with them.
February 21, 2007 2:21:08 AM

I am not a pleb :)  but thnx for the word :) 

an abbreviation for plebocite, an old fossil :) 

hmmm on 2nd thought maybe i'm hovering towards being a pleb, hey i'll have to give that some thought :) 

Imagine a movie based on Plebs:

Experienced computer hackers vs New age Computer hackers

WOW nice movie there :) 

The reason for the LArge font was to make it easier to read for my PLEB eyes, so i changed it back cause i got a few flashes about it.

thnx for the love :) 
February 21, 2007 2:40:44 AM

Quote:
Even 2 countries (Cuba and Venezuala) presidents are saying open source only!
You're using Fidel Castro and Hugo Chávez to promote Linux?...

= Bad marketing
February 21, 2007 2:45:14 AM

No, my PC's never been hacked..No, it wasn't because it's so secure, just a normal one. I do my job on my PC's security (update everything, do scans etc). And also, I'm educating myself not to fall to social engineering scams. That's quite important, I think you already know. I've I ever get infected with worms/viruses etc, then I'd do anything to stop it, but if nothing worked, then I'll do a fresh install. Sounds too much to someone, but that's ongoing life, we must move on
February 21, 2007 2:49:26 AM

Quote:
Even 2 countries (Cuba and Venezuala) presidents are saying open source only!
You're using Fidel Castro and Hugo Chávez to promote Linux?...

= Bad marketing

Sure, why not? Fidel is an expert on everything and never makes any errors. He is doing such a good job that people flee in cardboard boxes using tee shirts inflated with a tire pump to float the box.
February 21, 2007 3:47:32 AM

Computer problems and virus's are all about the user. My computer has AVG free on it and 2 spyware/adware programs. (Ad-Ware SE Personal and Spybot) Both my laptop and my desktop have XP pro with these protection software installed and I am perfectly clean and have zero problems with my system. So whens it gonna end? When the consumer quits being so ignorant and learns how to use a damn computer. Just maybe? Im not saying that you are ignorant, I just dislike the rant as I do not like any of the windows alternatives and as far as vista goes. I dont have it yet, but I will when my university gets it in an I can get it for all of $15 and then I will run it on a 3rd hard drive so I can just dual boot and have my XP for main use and my vista for any vista only games that may release. Everyone needs to just calm down on the quality of their operating systems and how their computers are running. Its getting a bit ridiculous!

Best,

3Ball
February 21, 2007 4:49:27 AM

My experience with the Vista RTM was good. Really good, actually. Vista installed perfectly, and ran fine. It booted at 1680 x 1050 (my monitor's native resolution), which surprised me. I was used to XP's 640 x 480 bootup. That just got the ball rolling, IMO.

I found it to be about as stable as my working XP Pro installation. Booted about as quickly, maybe a little slower. Which I could expect, seeing as how XP is on my Raptor, and Vista was on a regular 7200 RPM SATA drive.

WoW ran perfectly, which again surprised me. Loaded just as fast as from my Raptor, and maybe it was just having a good day, but I could swear it ran smoother in Ironforge during the evening hours (a veeeery crowded time, especially on my very crowded server, Mug'thol). That and UT2004 were the only games I tested it with. Flawless in that department.

ATI's Vista drivers were pretty good. Can't wait until Omega gets some modded Vista driver action going.

Spybot S & D worked perfectly. As did MS Office 2003. Haven't tried my Zune with it yet, but I'm saving that for when I eventually do upgrade to Vista, instead of dual-booting.

I liked Vista's look, too. I actually was afraid to go back to XP, and face the non-transparent and frost-free ugliness that I now call XP. It's weird, I thought I would hate it, and then I loved it. Odd.

Personally, I think MS did well. Matching XP's stability without a service pack is an admirable accomplishment. Kudos, MS.
February 21, 2007 5:48:18 AM

Vista runs just fine thank you... Using old hardware (+3700, and 6800 Ultras) I have run everything I want to at or faster than XP. The only exception that I've found so far is Oblivion. all of my older drivers have run just fine, some in compatability mode prior to official drivers being released. Creative was a bit slow to release, but the old Audigy drivers installed, as well as the old console.

I did have to get a new webcam, but I couldn't find the vendor for my old freebee.

Regression testing is going well at work, but still months of work to validate all of our custom apps. I would anticipate a limited test rollout in June / July timeframe, with the move to the platform overall to start with our next scheduled HW replacement.
February 21, 2007 6:20:25 AM

wow... this is ridiculous

Quote:
they should have hired Steve Gibson at www.grc.com to make the Vista code smaller and more efficient.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...dear god I hope that was a joke...

vista is pretty stable...(i have had no crashes w/ RTM.... I did blue screen on RC2 cause of trying to Force XP network drivers)

driver support meh...pretty good...could be better

but there was no shortage of bitching about driver support when 2k came out or XP for that matter.

i don't know what the else the first dude was bitching about... buy a mac then and shut up

have you actually seen the market penetration numbers for desktop linux...not to stellar (pretty good considering how much of a PITA it is to get many trivial things to work correctly... and the confusing differences and aggravations of the various distros)

mac despite spending all the money on the non stop mac ads still has what 2.5% marketshare...???

people haven't really been beating a path away from microsoft's door ya know?

oh well whatever thanx for the laugh

cheers
February 21, 2007 6:28:01 AM

Vista is not an OS for gamers...it is a DRM platform for content protection and it is the DRM built into it that makes it crap.

If you want performance use XP.
If you want to watch DRM protected movies....by a stand alone player and save alot of money.
February 21, 2007 11:38:39 AM

And the changing of the lists is why the thought of managing the hosts file is so silly. That is why you have one good piece of spyware protection software. They manage that stuff for you with a dedicated staff of many people maintaining the list for you.

As folks mentioned in your other thread his PC had well over 10,000 entries. You had a list of maybe 10.

You tell folks to reboot after editing the host file.

How silly.
The changes take effect immediately.

Now, if you had recently been visiting one of those sites you had added to your Host file you would need to clear the DNS Cache as a poster showed or simply let the DNS cache timeout which is 30 minutes.

If you spent more time learning how Windows worked, maybe you would spend less time complaining that it "SUX". :lol: 
!