User Profile blocks internet access

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 11, 2005 9:27:01 PM

I've just upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows 2000. I've successfully
configured the Administrator to get access to the internet but all other
users can't gain access to the internet. If I change a user profile to give
them administrator rights they can access the internet. How can I amend the
local user access rights to give them internet access without making them an
administrator?
--
Thanks.

Viking 55
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:53:38 AM

What exactly happens?? Any particular message such as access denied or
such?? Are they denied access to Internet Explorer or all or certain
websites? Look in Event Viewer to see if anything is recorded in the
application or system logs. --- Steve

"Viking 55" <Viking55@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows 2000. I've successfully
> configured the Administrator to get access to the internet but all other
> users can't gain access to the internet. If I change a user profile to
> give
> them administrator rights they can access the internet. How can I amend
> the
> local user access rights to give them internet access without making them
> an
> administrator?
> --
> Thanks.
>
> Viking 55
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 5:01:05 PM

My experience has been that every user on Windows 2000 needs admin privilege
to make it through the Internet Connection wizard for the very first internet
access. My normal practice has been to give the user account admin privilege,
log on using that account, access a safe site (e.g., microsoft.com), then
drop the account back to the correct privilege level.
--
Twas

!