Error running an old DOS programme

David

I have always found XP-Pro able to run DOS programmes perfectly. However,
at work we've just upgraded from Win95 (!) to XP-Pro, and now our DOS-based
electrical safety record-keeping software refuses to run properly. During
data entry the user has to press the <Page Down> key and the application
then terminates with the following error message:

"S11CONT <0> Unrecoverable error 5311: Cannot create VM swap file".

Can anyone throw any light on this and/or suggest a work-around please?
I've tried running the programme in Win95 compatibility mode and I've had a
look at the virtual memory settings, which look OK to me.

Thanks,
David.

Different machines, different hardware, different environment. The easiest
way to resolve this is to dual boot XP with an OS with which you know the
application will run. These issues are going to come up more and more as we
move further away from Windows 9x and machines are replaced with newer
models. Because XP is already installed, you will need third party software
with a third party boot manager to handle this. Partition Magic and System
Commander can both handle this task but whatever you use, be sure to use a
version compatible with XP.

Given this appears to be mission critical application, the business involved
would be well advised to begin looking for a replacement. This situation is
only going to get worse as time goes on.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User