a problem with cryptographic?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
April 13, 2005 4:55:00 PM

Hello!
I have this problem; when I try to import a certificate appears the
following error:

"The private key that you are importing might require a cryptographic
service provider that is not installed on your system."

I've been looking for this problen in microsoft database but the only thing
that I've found I need to install the last service pack.
I've tried with this solution but the problem continues.

Thanks!

More about : problem cryptographic

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 13, 2005 4:55:01 PM

You should also post this in the "Microsoft crypto" newsgroup. It sounds
like the operating system does not support the CSP [ not a built in one]
that was used with the certificate and therefore you need to install it as
provided from the manufacturer. If this is for a smart card the info below
may be pertinent from the link below. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/topics/identi...
A Cryptography Service Provider (CSP). This facilitates communication
between the device and the smart card. The CSP must be signed by Microsoft,
or it will not work on Windows 2000. Typically, a CSP is provided by the
manufacturer of the Smart Card Reader-for example, a GemPlus reader would
use a GemPlus CSP, a Schlumberger CSP would use the Schlumberger CSP, and so
on.

!