Sign in with
Your question

Two High-end Modular PSU.. which one should i get?

Last response: in Components

vote

Total: 29 votes (2 blank votes)

• Seasonic M12 600w
  • 38 %
  • Corsair 620HX
  • 63 %
February 20, 2007 2:38:55 PM

please help by voting. thanks

More about : high end modular psu

February 20, 2007 2:42:07 PM

Where are you ordering from and what are the prices? Either is a great choice though. I would just get whichever is cheaper.
February 20, 2007 2:44:42 PM

prices are similar.. typically abt $10-$20 difference
Related resources
February 20, 2007 3:44:38 PM

I still say just go with the cheaper one. Or the one that looks best in your case.

The Corsair looks pretty nice, especially if you have a red theme at all (PCB/Lighting/water tubing) in your case.

Quality wise, you can't go wrong with either. You can always wait for a few votes to roll in and go with that choice :p 
February 20, 2007 4:31:40 PM

I voted for the Seasonic, because I have just read every review I could find on modular power supplies of 500 watts or greater. I ordered the Seasonic M12 500 watt version, but it was DOA. I sure hope the replacement I am waiting for isn't a dud too. If it is, I'll buy an Antec NeoHE 500watt.

-Bob
February 20, 2007 9:34:29 PM

Corsair HX620 is based on the Seasonic S12, but the quality of the package in my opinion is better.

Corsair HX620 essentially is a Seasonic S12, but it could have better components/efficiency.
February 20, 2007 10:12:15 PM

Untrue, the S12 is not modular while the Corsair on the other hand is modular. Other than that they are very similar.
February 20, 2007 10:43:20 PM

Quote:

In that price range I'd go with either the Mushkin 650 (currently $150 after MIR) or their 580 (currently $100 after MIR) depending on the system spec and wattage needs. Sorry to not pick from your list.
February 21, 2007 1:32:42 AM

Mushkin Enhance are good PSUs but I wouldn't suggest a Mushkin HP. Others can be had in the same price range, not sure which you are recommending here.
February 21, 2007 4:03:57 AM

Quote:
Mushkin Enhance are good PSUs but I wouldn't suggest a Mushkin HP. Others can be had in the same price range, not sure which you are recommending here.

Mushkin sells 3 units. I don't recommend the 550 watt unit for a demanding application but it is a decent buy at $70 right now. The 580 watt unit is a better design and I think it is an excellent buy right now, as is the 650 watter.
February 21, 2007 5:10:54 AM

Quote:

You did not say what your system is so it is really not possible to recomend a PSU.

If you have a high end system then I would say stay away from all modular PSU's.

The PC Powercooling 510-ASL is far better than either of the PSU's in your poll.
February 21, 2007 5:51:19 AM

Quote:
If you have a high end system then I would say stay away from all modular PSU's.

Care to explain to someone that was about to buy a modular PSU, please.
February 22, 2007 2:22:09 AM

Quote:

Go to the PC Power and Cooling website and you've find all the tech info you need on the modular debate. But realize that if you plug your PS into your mobo, HDs, etc., you're using a plug, right? So a non-modular PS decreases the number of plugs by at most 50%.
February 22, 2007 5:40:54 AM

This has been discussed. The difference in quality between a modular PSU and a non-modualr PSU is a at most negligible and at least a non-issue.
February 22, 2007 6:16:36 AM

Thanks for the reply, will check that out.

Edit:
Umm where, on THG?
February 23, 2007 2:17:36 PM

need more votes
February 23, 2007 2:21:22 PM

Quote:

Go to the PC Power and Cooling website and you've find all the tech info you need on the modular debate. But realize that if you plug your PS into your mobo, HDs, etc., you're using a plug, right? So a non-modular PS decreases the number of plugs by at most 50%.

You will only see the "non-modular fans" side of the argument. Very knowledgeable people have shown that the difference in resistance and voltage stability is negligible, buying a high quality modular is much better than a low quality standard PSU.
February 23, 2007 2:41:52 PM

Quote:

You will only see the "non-modular fans" side of the argument. Very knowledgeable people have shown that the difference in resistance and voltage stability is negligible, buying a high quality modular is much better than a low quality standard PSU.

The only reason I don't have a PCP&C is because they aren't modular. My server uses a OCZ Gamextreme that isn't modular but it's in a TT Armor and there is plenty of room to stash the extra cable mass. All the rest of my boxes use modular units because I like the reduced clutter. So I'm not worried about the connector resistance issue at all. I believe it's totally bogus and that's what my 50% comment above was about. Sure, all connector junctions have resistance that increases with age but if it's such a problem, then why don't we solder our PS to the mobo 24-pin, etc.?
February 23, 2007 6:49:22 PM

Quote:

Well the Clueless part in your name is definitely accurate.

That's a biased argument because PCP&P doesn't want to jump to the year 2006 where reliable modular PSU's entered and dominate the market.

You know what's ironic? The Seasonic S12 is the original unit the Corsair HX series is based off of, but the Corsair units add modular support. The Corsair HX units actually get better efficiency and rail stability than the NON-modular S12 they're based off of!

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I have an HX and I love it. I'm selling the 520 too when I get my rebates back so I can upgrade to a 620.
February 25, 2007 9:14:29 PM

Quote:
Well the Clueless part in your name is definitely accurate.

Actually, you need to learn to read. Just practice on this thread, cuz clearly, YOU MISSED THE POINT.

Quote:
You know what's ironic?

Yea, that you went off thinking you were flaming me when in fact you only proved that you have severe comprenension issues. You have accomplished self-ownage.
!