Content Advisor & security access

Hi,

I have a number of PC's in my estate which run win2k with a standard 'user'
profile.
They run standalone so I am currently using contect advisor to control what
access they have to various web sites.
I want occasionally to be able to let them onto a site, so I dial in to them
and I currently have to change the user to an admin group, log off, log back
on, give access to the site....

and then

remove them from the admin group, and log back off and on again.

All this becuase 'users; group cannot add sites to content advisor. (it
doesnt save them when you exit)
I want to therefore setup another group which will allow them to do this.
Im presuming this can be done in MMC, but cant see how this is applied to
the new group.

Can anyone help....
2 answers Last reply
More about content advisor security access

    I am not sure exactly how you are doing this but I suspect that a user who
    can modify the content advisor settings needs the password for Content
    Advisor and/or administrative rights if they are doing this via Local Group
    Policy. I don't know of any workaround for such. Depending on the size of
    your network you may be better of using an Active Directory domain so that
    you can centralize the process for all users or use something like ISA 2004
    server or a firewall that can do content management. Sonicwall and others
    have firewall devices that can be used with a monthly subscription service
    that for a reasonable rate can restrict the types of websites your users
    access. ISA 2004 is very powerful but it is not cheap or the easiest to set
    up and would require that the ISA 2004 server be the default gateway.
    Microsoft however will let you try it free for 120 days. --- Steve

    http://www.sonicwall.com/products/tz170.html --- content filtering
    firewall.

    "Kevin Depree" <KevinDepree@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a number of PC's in my estate which run win2k with a standard
    > 'user'
    > profile.
    > They run standalone so I am currently using contect advisor to control
    > what
    > access they have to various web sites.
    > I want occasionally to be able to let them onto a site, so I dial in to
    > them
    > and I currently have to change the user to an admin group, log off, log
    > back
    > on, give access to the site....
    >
    > and then
    >
    > remove them from the admin group, and log back off and on again.
    >
    > All this becuase 'users; group cannot add sites to content advisor. (it
    > doesnt save them when you exit)
    > I want to therefore setup another group which will allow them to do this.
    > Im presuming this can be done in MMC, but cant see how this is applied to
    > the new group.
    >
    > Can anyone help....

    Thanks Stephen,

    Although i think I may have may it sound a touch complicated.

    In short, when setting up a new user group, how do you control what they can
    & cant do ?

    "Steven L Umbach" wrote:

    > I am not sure exactly how you are doing this but I suspect that a user who
    > can modify the content advisor settings needs the password for Content
    > Advisor and/or administrative rights if they are doing this via Local Group
    > Policy. I don't know of any workaround for such. Depending on the size of
    > your network you may be better of using an Active Directory domain so that
    > you can centralize the process for all users or use something like ISA 2004
    > server or a firewall that can do content management. Sonicwall and others
    > have firewall devices that can be used with a monthly subscription service
    > that for a reasonable rate can restrict the types of websites your users
    > access. ISA 2004 is very powerful but it is not cheap or the easiest to set
    > up and would require that the ISA 2004 server be the default gateway.
    > Microsoft however will let you try it free for 120 days. --- Steve
    >
    > http://www.sonicwall.com/products/tz170.html --- content filtering
    > firewall.
    >

    > "Kevin Depree" <KevinDepree@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a number of PC's in my estate which run win2k with a standard
    > > 'user'
    > > profile.
    > > They run standalone so I am currently using contect advisor to control
    > > what
    > > access they have to various web sites.
    > > I want occasionally to be able to let them onto a site, so I dial in to
    > > them
    > > and I currently have to change the user to an admin group, log off, log
    > > back
    > > on, give access to the site....
    > >
    > > and then
    > >
    > > remove them from the admin group, and log back off and on again.
    > >
    > > All this becuase 'users; group cannot add sites to content advisor. (it
    > > doesnt save them when you exit)
    > > I want to therefore setup another group which will allow them to do this.
    > > Im presuming this can be done in MMC, but cant see how this is applied to
    > > the new group.
    > >
    > > Can anyone help....

Security Microsoft Windows