Unable to stop users creating new files on shared folder

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
April 15, 2005 9:28:03 AM

I have a shared folder with the following permissions set
everyone READ ONLY
Group 1 MODIFY
Admins FULL CONTROL
I do not want the users in the group with modify permissions only to be able
to create files or folers
If i set the permissions of the group to stop creation of new files they
cannot save their modified files. The files are Word and Excel documents.
Someone please help thanx
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 15, 2005 5:09:03 PM

"techguy?" <techguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a shared folder with the following permissions set
> everyone READ ONLY
> Group 1 MODIFY
> Admins FULL CONTROL

> I do not want the users in the group with modify permissions only to be
able
> to create files or folers

Then don't give them Modify on the directories or don't
give them the equivalent (e.g., Change) on the share.

> If i set the permissions of the group to stop creation of new files they
> cannot save their modified files. The files are Word and Excel documents.
> Someone please help thanx

You can approach this two ways (in these cases leave
the share permissions alone -- Change):

(this controls the adding of new files)
Leave the file permissions as they are so they
can edit and save *

2) Setup the parent directory permissions and then
go to Advanced and edit the Special permissions
to remove create files and subdirectories but leave
append, write etc.

* Problems still occur with some "helpful" (<really>)
programs like Word which technically create a new file
each time the original is modified (to protect against crashes.)
!