Unable to stop users creating new files on shared folder

I have a shared folder with the following permissions set
everyone READ ONLY
Group 1 MODIFY
Admins FULL CONTROL
I do not want the users in the group with modify permissions only to be able
to create files or folers
If i set the permissions of the group to stop creation of new files they
cannot save their modified files. The files are Word and Excel documents.
Someone please help thanx
1 answer Last reply
More about unable stop users creating files shared folder

    "techguy?" <techguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a shared folder with the following permissions set
    > everyone READ ONLY
    > Group 1 MODIFY
    > Admins FULL CONTROL

    > I do not want the users in the group with modify permissions only to be
    able
    > to create files or folers

    Then don't give them Modify on the directories or don't
    give them the equivalent (e.g., Change) on the share.

    > If i set the permissions of the group to stop creation of new files they
    > cannot save their modified files. The files are Word and Excel documents.
    > Someone please help thanx

    You can approach this two ways (in these cases leave
    the share permissions alone -- Change):

    (this controls the adding of new files)
    Leave the file permissions as they are so they
    can edit and save *

    2) Setup the parent directory permissions and then
    go to Advanced and edit the Special permissions
    to remove create files and subdirectories but leave
    append, write etc.

    * Problems still occur with some "helpful" (<really>)
    programs like Word which technically create a new file
    each time the original is modified (to protect against crashes.)

Security Microsoft Permissions Windows