Help upgrading to 5.1 setup

davem7

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
The Creative forums weren't very helpful, so I figured I take a shot here...

I recently purchased 5.1 PC Speaker setup (Logitech X-540). Up until now I had a 2.1 setup that worked just fine, but I wanted to upgrade. After connecting all the wires, I am having trouble utilizing my surround sound setup. I have updated the drivers (through Dell, not Creative), and have checked the connections several times. The main problem seems to be a lack of volume in both the center channel and the sub. When I do the Creative Diagnostics sound test, the voice correctly identifies front left, front right, center, rear left, and rear right channels - however when the voice ID's the center channel, it is significantly quieter. I confirmed it is not an issue with the center channel speaker by switching the connections between the front right and center speakers.

While watching movies, the left, right, and rear speakers dominate while the center channel is much quieter. Voices are completely drown out by music and background noise. The sub is almost unnoticeable during action sequences. The same issues occur in games - lack of center channel and sub sounds.

I have setup my computer for 5.1 audio through "Sounds and Audio Devices" in the control panels. I also setup PowerDVD for 5.1, as well as a few games I tested. Using the Settings in "Creative Mixer" I have both "Digital Output Only" and "CMSS" unchecked and all channels are at equal levels. Also, while I have the "Matrix" feature of the Logitech speakers disabled for all of these tests, I still get audio in all channels when playing music (stereo sound).

My setup is as follows:
Dell Dimension 8300
Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 1GB RAM
Windows XP SP2
Logitech X-540 Speakers
Sound Blaster Live! (Model: SB0200 / Serial: MSB0200320019157)
ATI All-In-Wonder X800XT (don't know if this causes any conflicts)

Thanks for the help

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
If you are using analog signals, green, black and orange/yellow mini plugs then uncheck the digital signal output. Check the analog only.

Unfortunately I can't remember where is my Creative Live! cd and that I did not use the cd to install my driver so I would not remember how to change setup menu without the creative programs.

You should download the latest driver from Creative Lab and It's better if you can use thier software auto update. http://www.creative.com/support/ .

Once again if using PowerDVD, Use only 5.1 settings if you're not using digital.

Since X-540 is fiarly new products I haven't had a chance playing with that speaker yet, so check on the settings if there's a switch called matrix and turn it off or switch it to line in only.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
As I was going to work earlier I forgot to ask you if you're using DVD Audio or SACD for playing. Which I assumed you did. I believe that's the reason why you are getting the low volume at the center is because your audio source is Stereo and being converted into 5.1.

There’s a settings at EAX console called CMSS 3D for Audigy Card, So if you have that on the creative menu try adjusting it to Stereo Surround to get equal distribution of the speakers, and turn it off if you don’t want to play direct signal. Good for playing DVD Audio (real surround or HiFi sound).

I never try nor expect too much from CD or compress stereo signal to play 5.1 since it’s not really true 5.1 formats. Unless using an expensive Processor Unit. But someone here might have a different experience about that matter.

Post back whatever you find out?

davem7

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
I don't think I have the same software suite installed. All I have installed are "Creative Diagnostics" and "Creative Mixer". The Creative Mixer utility lets me turn CMSS on or off, set Digital Output on or off, and allows me to adjust volume levels for the Center and Sub channels. There is an option to switch between output modes, but this completely overrides everything else (like if I select stereo instead of 5.1, then audio will only be output to the left and right channels).

For now I have sort of solved the problem by boosting the center and sub channels using Creative Mixer, and if I use Windows Media Player, I can further boost the center and sub channels (as well as the rear channels a bit). If I do this and enable CMSS, I get a fairly balanced sound that I am comfortable with. As for games I am unsure, most sound OK but I am not quite convinced they are making full use of all the speakers. In general, what are the appropriate audio settings given my setup between enabling / disabling various modes of EAX or software.

Thanks again.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I just remember that my other computer have a SB Live! 24-bit that's why I have better programs I suppose.

I check the Creative site about SB Live! And that it only support 4 speakers Front and Rear. A Decoder Card can be use to output SPDIF to a 5.1 receiver for surround setup.

Try downloading the new drivers and plug-ins from creative site and see if theirs any new changes for your system. Assuming you use Windows XP. Click Here!