Nvidia Released WHQL driver for 8800 cards in Vista

red_devil

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Given this I suppose the Inquirer and Theo Valich are looking a little foolish in today's "News".

AMD now has a levy over Nvidia measured in weeks - WHQL SLI driver for DirectX 10 or 64-bit Vista isn't expected until April

AMD to overtake Nvidia in WHQL driver wars

I don't think so, u need to read the driver release notes:

"DirectX 9 and OpenGL NVIDIA SLI support for GeForce 6 and 7 series GPUs and DirectX 10 NVIDIA SLI support for GeForce 8800 GPUs will be available in a future driver"

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I don't think so, u need to read the driver release notes:

"DirectX 9 and OpenGL NVIDIA SLI support for GeForce 6 and 7 series GPUs and DirectX 10 NVIDIA SLI support for GeForce 8800 GPUs will be available in a future driver"

I think they are just saying that DX10 doesn't work in SLI right now. So DX10 itself works just reverts to one card if you are running SLI, not perfect but still functional.

I think they are just saying that DX10 doesn't work in SLI right now. So DX10 itself works just reverts to one card if you are running SLI, not perfect but still functional.

Well that is the whole point of the post above, and the article itself specifically stating that very thing that DX10 SLi support is still Beta.

I noticed he didn't want to finish Theo's sentence, so here's the actual quote to which Red was replying;

"We don't have confirmation of DX10 drivers for 64-bit operating systems, but we have been assured that the driver support will be second to none and that AMD now has a levy over Nvidia measured in weeks - WHQL SLI driver for DirectX 10 or 64-bit Vista isn't expected until April - which is pretty sad."

Seems pretty focused on DX10 and SLi. although the 64bit version does support regular SLi like the 32 bit version, but BOTH don't support DX10 SLi, which may have been the point.

It'd be interesting to see if anything had to be made 'optional' in order to pass qualification. A few thing in the trouble list still interesting like multi-monitor support and LCD scaling (guess S4fun missed that one).

Main thing this means now is that DELL can start shipping SLi Vista rigs for their XPS customers, but with the cavea in small type somewhere than DX10 SLi isn't supported (not that it's really gonna matter for a while to come).

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
So did anyone tested these drivers compared to the beta ones if there's any performance difference say for example in the DX10 Nvidia demo that was just released a few days ago?

red_devil

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Wait a sec krisz, my 56k modem is still downloading :D,

I appreciate the explanation GreatApe, I was pointing that the SLI drivers are still in Beta. :roll:

harmattan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Wait... so is 8800 SLI supported in 32-bit DX10 Vista or not? Or is it just supported in DX9?

I'm confused and have the Vista upgrade disc in-hand.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Thanks Red Devil, you are correct and now I look foolish. The Inquirer article is incredibly biased either way. I found it funny that they ran a story about a lack of WHQL drivers from Nvidia on the same day they release WHQL drivers.

To GreatGrape, I wasn't trying to mislead but quoting the key point and providing a link to the full text. Sorry if it comes across as misleading.

I noticed he didn't want to finish Theo's sentence, so here's the actual quote to which Red was replying;

harmattan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Wait... so is 8800 SLI supported in 32-bit DX10 Vista or not? Or is it just supported in DX9?

I'm confused and have the Vista upgrade disc in-hand.
Only Direct X9, not that you're missing too much with no Direct X10 titles out.

Thanks, so I should be good to install Vista since I'm just playing DX9 (which is supported in 8800 SLI). But I want DX10 support NOW! :cry:

btw, doesn't Flight Sim X have DX10 built in already?

UAL3312

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
NO, i see this one time and time again FSX IS DX9 and as of current DX9 ONLY. it will NOT be DX10 for another few months. they plan to release a patch allowing it to be rendered in DX10.

so now that you know. spread the word :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Red Devil, you are correct and now I look foolish. The Inquirer article is incredibly biased either way. I found it funny that they ran a story about a lack of WHQL drivers from Nvidia on the same day they release WHQL drivers.

Well the question is was in coincidence, or was it the InQ article that pushed the release ahead?

Seems like only yesterday that nV didn't want these drivers out in the public space and had Guru3D pull them;

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1518844#1518844

Hey it was yesterday, and the day before. :wink:

So the question is what were nV holding back prior to the InQ's comments?

Now Guru3D can give them out. There's gotta be a reason for the change of heart less than 48hours later.

Oh I know they do, and considering nV's reaction to Guru3D leaking Beta drivers (not the first time) I don't doubt that it might even be true.

Seriously why now and not 2 days ago?

Why the same drivers, yet go to the effort of telling Guru to remove them?

The other things is that the InQ's article was published @ noon GMT (the InQ is Euro), and meanwhile nV's driver's didn't hit the street until after noon EST.

So you tell me which came first the the chicken or the egg?

Look like the article came first by a few hours time.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I would be interested too to see how the DX10 Nvidia demo (waterfalls) runs with the new drivers compared to the beta ones.