Run InternetExplorer in a diffent NON ADMIN Account

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
April 19, 2005 12:19:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.internetexplorer.security (More info?)

Hallo.

I have the following problem: A PC is running with any account. Now one of
our customers wants to start InternetExplorer with a different NOT ADMIN
Account. We tried to use "Run as" with a C# application and the
conifguration of the Iexplorer link "Run as different user" but both worked
only with Admin Accounts. What I do to configure the PC, so that "Run as"
works with non Admin Accounts.

Thanks.

Michael Lierheimer
MCSD, MCSD.NET

Please respond to
Michael.Lierheimer@Wolf-Telcom.de
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 19, 2005 12:19:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.internetexplorer.security (More info?)

The account that you are using as the alternate credentials
for the RunAs process tree needs to have the Log on locally
user right. Otherwise, as I understand your post, as long as
the account you are using for actual login does have permission
on the link, and the application being run within RunAs, then
things should work (if the RunAs, aka Secondary logon, service
is started),

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
"Lierheimer Michael" <News_Lierheimer@Yahoo.de> wrote in message
> Hallo.
>
> I have the following problem: A PC is running with any account. Now one of
> our customers wants to start InternetExplorer with a different NOT ADMIN
> Account. We tried to use "Run as" with a C# application and the
> conifguration of the Iexplorer link "Run as different user" but both
worked
> only with Admin Accounts. What I do to configure the PC, so that "Run as"
> works with non Admin Accounts.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Michael Lierheimer
> MCSD, MCSD.NET
>
> Please respond to
> Michael.Lierheimer@Wolf-Telcom.de

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 20, 2005 5:58:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.internetexplorer.security (More info?)

create a command script (*.cmd or *.bat):
runas /user:user_name cmd.exe

and execute it. Once successfully authenticated, you can start any
application
that will run under the user_name security context.

Do let us know if this helps. Thanks!

!