Password age on user accounts on local computers

Can anyone tell me how to enumerate the password age of user accounts
on local computers using vbscript or .net? I've found many examples
how to retrieve the password age of active directory user accounts, but
nothing on local computer user accounts. Also, please note I cannot use
3rd party applications or executebles in my work place (government
facility). Thanks!

Very helpful! Thanks! But, I have found lastlogin enumerates fine,
but passwordlastchanged does not. Any idea why this might be?

Set usr = GetObject("WinNT://PCName/Administrator, user")
wscript.echo "Administrator last login: " & usr.LastLogin
wscript.echo "Administrator password age: " & usr.PasswordLastChanged

You can't enumerate the age of local machine user accounts because the info
doesn't exist. There is no time stamp saying when they were created in the old
SAM format. This is why you don't see scripts or tools doing it.

joe

www.joeware.net

jacksneed2000@yahoo.com wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to enumerate the password age of user accounts
> on local computers using vbscript or .net? I've found many examples
> how to retrieve the password age of active directory user accounts, but
> nothing on local computer user accounts. Also, please note I cannot use
> 3rd party applications or executebles in my work place (government
> facility). Thanks!

I am sorry, I misread the question. I thought you wanted, for some odd reason
only my inner mind knows, the time an account was created not the password age
even though everything you have here is about password age. Oy. I need to retire.

I actually have a tool that will dump this info for you in a csv format, look at
userdump on www.joeware.net

http://www.joeware.net/win/free/tools/userdump.htm

In vbscript you will need to use the iadsuser interface to gather the info,
there should be a method called something like passwordlastchanged which you
will need to convert to password age.

www.joeware.net

jacksneed2000@yahoo.com wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to enumerate the password age of user accounts
> on local computers using vbscript or .net? I've found many examples
> how to retrieve the password age of active directory user accounts, but
> nothing on local computer user accounts. Also, please note I cannot use
> 3rd party applications or executebles in my work place (government
> facility). Thanks!

Please see other post, misread your question.

www.joeware.net

Joe Richards [MVP] wrote:
> You can't enumerate the age of local machine user accounts because the
> info doesn't exist. There is no time stamp saying when they were created
> in the old SAM format. This is why you don't see scripts or tools doing it.
>
> joe
>
> --
> Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services
> www.joeware.net
>

> jacksneed2000@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me how to enumerate the password age of user accounts
>> on local computers using vbscript or .net? I've found many examples
>> how to retrieve the password age of active directory user accounts, but
>> nothing on local computer user accounts. Also, please note I cannot use
>> 3rd party applications or executebles in my work place (government
>> facility). Thanks!

Ack sorry, passwordlastchanged is not supported by the WinNT Provider according to

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/adsi/adsi/unsupported_iadsuser_properties.asp

You will need to use passwordage which should be the number of seconds since the
password was changed.

joe

www.joeware.net