Password age on user accounts on local computers

Can anyone tell me how to enumerate the password age of user accounts
on local computers using vbscript or .net? I've found many examples
how to retrieve the password age of active directory user accounts, but
nothing on local computer user accounts. Also, please note I cannot use
3rd party applications or executebles in my work place (government
facility). Thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about password user accounts local computers

    Very helpful! Thanks! But, I have found lastlogin enumerates fine,
    but passwordlastchanged does not. Any idea why this might be?

    Set usr = GetObject("WinNT://PCName/Administrator, user")
    wscript.echo "Administrator last login: " & usr.LastLogin
    wscript.echo "Administrator password age: " & usr.PasswordLastChanged

    You can't enumerate the age of local machine user accounts because the info
    doesn't exist. There is no time stamp saying when they were created in the old
    SAM format. This is why you don't see scripts or tools doing it.

    joe

    www.joeware.net

    jacksneed2000@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me how to enumerate the password age of user accounts
    > on local computers using vbscript or .net? I've found many examples
    > how to retrieve the password age of active directory user accounts, but
    > nothing on local computer user accounts. Also, please note I cannot use
    > 3rd party applications or executebles in my work place (government
    > facility). Thanks!

    I am sorry, I misread the question. I thought you wanted, for some odd reason
    only my inner mind knows, the time an account was created not the password age
    even though everything you have here is about password age. Oy. I need to retire.

    I actually have a tool that will dump this info for you in a csv format, look at
    userdump on www.joeware.net

    http://www.joeware.net/win/free/tools/userdump.htm

    In vbscript you will need to use the iadsuser interface to gather the info,
    there should be a method called something like passwordlastchanged which you
    will need to convert to password age.

    www.joeware.net

    jacksneed2000@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me how to enumerate the password age of user accounts
    > on local computers using vbscript or .net? I've found many examples
    > how to retrieve the password age of active directory user accounts, but
    > nothing on local computer user accounts. Also, please note I cannot use
    > 3rd party applications or executebles in my work place (government
    > facility). Thanks!

    Please see other post, misread your question.

    www.joeware.net

    Joe Richards [MVP] wrote:
    > You can't enumerate the age of local machine user accounts because the
    > info doesn't exist. There is no time stamp saying when they were created
    > in the old SAM format. This is why you don't see scripts or tools doing it.
    >
    > joe
    >
    > --
    > Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services
    > www.joeware.net
    >

    > jacksneed2000@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone tell me how to enumerate the password age of user accounts
    >> on local computers using vbscript or .net? I've found many examples
    >> how to retrieve the password age of active directory user accounts, but
    >> nothing on local computer user accounts. Also, please note I cannot use
    >> 3rd party applications or executebles in my work place (government
    >> facility). Thanks!

    Ack sorry, passwordlastchanged is not supported by the WinNT Provider according to

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/adsi/adsi/unsupported_iadsuser_properties.asp

    You will need to use passwordage which should be the number of seconds since the
    password was changed.

    joe

    www.joeware.net

    Joe Richards [MVP] wrote:
    > I am sorry, I misread the question. I thought you wanted, for some odd
    > reason only my inner mind knows, the time an account was created not the
    > password age even though everything you have here is about password age.
    > Oy. I need to retire.
    >
    > I actually have a tool that will dump this info for you in a csv format,
    > look at userdump on www.joeware.net
    >
    > http://www.joeware.net/win/free/tools/userdump.htm
    >
    > In vbscript you will need to use the iadsuser interface to gather the
    > info, there should be a method called something like passwordlastchanged
    > which you will need to convert to password age.
    >

    > --
    > Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services
    > www.joeware.net
    >

    > jacksneed2000@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone tell me how to enumerate the password age of user accounts
    >> on local computers using vbscript or .net? I've found many examples
    >> how to retrieve the password age of active directory user accounts, but
    >> nothing on local computer user accounts. Also, please note I cannot use
    >> 3rd party applications or executebles in my work place (government
    >> facility). Thanks!

User Accounts Computers Windows