Information on VPN with L2TP

Hi

I want to have some information on how to configure a VPN with L2TP. I
don't want to use preshared keys, I prefer certificates.

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about information l2tp

    In article <15BD6FD6-436A-4B72-9B60-1385EA6D658D@microsoft.com>, in the
    microsoft.public.win2000.security news group, =?Utf-8?B?
    dG90b21hc3Rlcg==?= <totomaster@news.postalias> says...

    > I want to have some information on how to configure a VPN with L2TP. I
    > don't want to use preshared keys, I prefer certificates.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/networking/vpn/d
    efault.mspx

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/vdcy

    --
    Paul Adare
    MVP - Windows - Virtual Machine

    For Windows 2000 you need to use computer certificates. Windows 2003 and XP
    Pro can use preshared key which is best used for testing purposes. Preshared
    keys are stored on the computer in clear text and harder to manage then
    certificates. In Windows 2000 it is relatively easy to configure a CA to
    issue computer certificates and can be done via Automatic Request in Group
    Policy. Keep in mind that Windows 2000 VPN server will not work with l2tp if
    the server is behind a NAT router. --- Steve

    "totomaster" <totomaster@news.postalias> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I want to have some information on how to configure a VPN with L2TP. I
    > don't want to use preshared keys, I prefer certificates.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi,

    Thanks for posting!

    Please note that the newsgroups provide assistance to resolve break/fix
    issues. We recommend Microsoft Advisory Services, a remotely-delivered,
    consultative support option that adds the element of proactive support,
    providing a comprehensive result beyond your break-fix product maintenance
    needs. More information on this service here:
    <http://support.microsoft.com/gp/advisoryservice>

    For more info in the US and Canada:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=AdvisoryService

    Outside of the US/Canada:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2finternational.aspx

    Thanks & Regards,

    Jason Tan

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    In article <ABs8H9iSFHA.19920@TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl>, in the
    microsoft.public.win2000.security news group, Jason Tan (MSFT) <v-
    jasont@online.microsoft.com> says...

    > Please note that the newsgroups provide assistance to resolve break/fix
    > issues. We recommend Microsoft Advisory Services, a remotely-delivered,
    > consultative support option that adds the element of proactive support,
    > providing a comprehensive result beyond your break-fix product maintenance
    > needs. More information on this service here:
    > <http://support.microsoft.com/gp/advisoryservice>

    Wow. All I can say here is wow. Jason, this is not an appropriate
    response for this type of problem.

    The poster's question is fairly straight forward and can more than
    likely be worked out here. I really don't see the need to be pushing the
    OP to a $210 USD/hour consulting gig.

    Also, if you're going to answer posts here, it would be nice if you
    quoted some of the text of the original post so there is some context
    for your response.

    --
    Paul Adare
    MVP - Windows - Virtual Machine
    http://www.identit.ca/blogs/paul/
    Scientists were excited this week at having isolated a brief sound which
    occurred immediately before the Big Bang.
    Apparently, the sound was, "uh oh".

Security VPN Microsoft Configuration Windows