I like the AntecP 180 BUT... what else is there like it?

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I like most of what the P180 offers but there are several gotchas I picked up on through reading the comments on newegg, namely:

-screws attach the side door/not a quick release
-no speaker
-difficulty running PS wires and wires to the drives in the bottom bay
-cheap door hinges which area easily broken
-cramped interior

Anyway, can anyone recommend another brand and model that's similar? I like the 20 inch height and I'm planning to use the Scythe Ninja+ so I'll need the 8+ inch width. System will probably be a 6600 or 6700.

Thanks all!

-silencer-

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
- Screws attach to side door.. use thumb screws and it's quick enough.
- No speaker - not a big deal.. yank one out of an old case and lay it in there.
- Difficulty wiring.. you only have to do it once, and get a 12" ATX extension for $5-10 to solve wiring to ATX connectors at top of mobo.
- Cheap door hinges? I've never had a problem with them.. just don't fling the door open as hard as you can.
- Cramped interior.. An 8800GTX fits (barely).. the interior is fine for a case that is supposed to be smaller than a full tower.

The location of the top and back 120mm exhaust fans is perfect for the Scythe Ninja.. just get the case and be happy with it.. or wait for the P182 revision that'll be out sometime over the next few months.

NamelessMC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
- Screws attach to side door.. use thumb screws and it's quick enough.
- No speaker - not a big deal.. yank one out of an old case and lay it in there.
- Difficulty wiring.. you only have to do it once, and get a 12" ATX extension for $5-10 to solve wiring to ATX connectors at top of mobo.
- Cheap door hinges? I've never had a problem with them.. just don't fling the door open as hard as you can.
- Cramped interior.. An 8800GTX fits (barely).. the interior is fine for a case that is supposed to be smaller than a full tower.

The location of the top and back 120mm exhaust fans is perfect for the Scythe Ninja.. just get the case and be happy with it.. or wait for the P182 revision that'll be out sometime over the next few months.

How about instead of crapping his thread and arguing with him, you actually post next time and REPLY to the question he asked. He didn't say, "Hey can someone come in here and tell me everything I read about the P180 is stupid and tell me to buy it anyway?". He said... and I'll requote it bolded out for you so you can read it this time, "Anyway, can anyone recommend another brand and model that's similar? I like the 20 inch height and I'm planning to use the Scythe Ninja+ so I'll need the 8+ inch width. System will probably be a 6600 or 6700."

Graysky, from what I've heard, the Antec 900 requires a lot of modification to be ergonomically friendly. I think any case with bottom-mounted PSU's is going to have ergonomic problems that require excessive modification.

What's your price range? Have you thought about a previous generation CM Stacker 830?

pumpkin-soup

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I personally love the P180,

For cable wiring it actually forced me to do a better job.

you can force a 6-pin modular ps cable in the little corner that separates the lower hds from the ps. which gets rid of the power cable woes going them. and stick your sata cables out the back through a small hole just at the back of where the 4-disk brick slides in. it maybe stricky to slide it in the first time but once you have done that you have no problems with the lower part of the case.

As for the upper section you can use the cable shroudy jig to make a much neater section for the cables to come out of the bottom if you push them through the correct sections..ie use only the power cables that require to go in the top through there.

for the 4-pin 12v cable that goes all the way up to the top of the board, you can actually run it underneath the graphics cards and it is complely out of the way. i have mine run between the top pcie slot and the chipset fan then alone the pcie slot and put the molex cable in and continue up to plug the 12v 4pin one in...after that u only need to connect the power to gfx cards which you can do on the same cable line as the molex pcie power and 12v 4pin plug. and if you use zip ties you can make it seem as if there is almost only 1 cable running through the case.

once you have finished it fits perfectly and you have only the ATX cable and the power to the gfx/pcie/12v4pin all running under one wire length.. its very neat.. but can be cramped, especially if you power supply has particularly stiff cables.
if you are using ide cables for the hdd then stick it in the external floppy drive section and fold the ribbon cable at 90degree angles a couple of times so that most of it goes under the board then when the cable meets the ide port just let it come out and fold around to plug in.. (make sure you have the right orientation for the final fold otherwie youll be pissed and have to refold a folded cable and makes it a bitch, not to mention the possibility of impeding the cables quality if you fold it too many times(ie wire brakages))

with this wiring scheme i can have a fairly neat wiring job that house.
a A64x2 w/ bigtypoon, 4gbram, 2x6800gs in sli 4x250gbs hds, a dvd, and a primary system disk and barely any wires in the way at all. One small note, if you use zip ties and your cabling is neat and TIGHT, then removing graphics cards can become a real pain because it would be zip ties to tightly to the other cables going further up the board that it is almost impossible to get out of the gfx card..

if you want another case with similar sleek looks id go for the Thermaltake matrix. although its a bit smaller its a good case for neat computer use.. has these funky little screwless hdd and dvd drive install things and you need no screws to install any cards..
also its thrumb screws are very big and easy to use buit you can leave them off and just use its locking mechanism instead. but as i said its a much smaller case.. yet youd be supprised by the amound of space inside..

oh yeah another thing.. the antec p180 without a computer in it is about as heavy as say a mtrix wiith one in it.. and you can imagine the weight when its loaded..

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Thanks for the replies, all. I have a 3 year old Antec something or other (can't remember the model number). It has 2x80 exhaust fans in the rear, one on the door and 2 intake fans in the front as I recall. That's been great for my 3200+ for the past few years. I might just empty it out and put the new PC in there. Part of me wonders if the 120mm fans are worth the hassle in the P180.

-silencer-

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
How about instead of crapping his thread and arguing with him, you actually post next time and REPLY to the question he asked. He didn't say, "Hey can someone come in here and tell me everything I read about the P180 is stupid and tell me to buy it anyway?".
He said he got these points from complaints on newegg reviews, not ones he experienced personally. I was making those rebuttals to the newegg reviews from "experts" who haven't touched but one or two difference cases in their life. There's a reason the P180 is so popular.. but here's a few others to look at:
Antec 900
Antec Sonata II
Antec Solution
Cooler Master Centurion 5
Cooler Master Ammo
Cooler Master Stacker
Thermaltake Tsunami
Thermaltake Armor
Lian Li PC-65

HERSHEY

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
graysky,
I don`t know if this case will interest you,but Thermaltake has a new model Aguila vd1000.It`s only 18.818 inches tall,but it`s 8.267 wide and 20.472 inches deep.(5) 5.25" bays,but one is used by the power/reset switch.(2) 3.5" external bays and (4) 3.5" internal bays.It weighs 24.2 lbs.

bobloadmire

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
yeah it a pain in the ass, spent 3 hours puting in my damn system when i got. I was trying to rout the cables well, but i would get one routed, then there would be a problem with the routing, and i have never had as much frustration before, and i have seen a lot of cases. I'm actually becoming partial to the lay flat cases, like HTPC cases. there are soo easy to work in.

Try the Antec Solo. Mine fits a scythe ninja +. The case also has the sound damping panels, thumb screws to take off the side and front, and good cooling with a 120mm rear fan. It fits a 8800gts, but to fit in a 8800gtx, you need to remove a bit of the hard drive cage.

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
here's a reason the P180 is so popular.. but here's a few others to look at:
Antec 900
Antec Sonata II
Antec Solution
Cooler Master Centurion 5
Cooler Master Ammo
Cooler Master Stacker
Thermaltake Tsunami
Thermaltake Armor
Lian Li PC-65

Thanks for the list. I think the Tsunami looks pretty good judging by the pics at newegg.

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
the Akasa eclipse 62 and mirage are both fantastic cases based on the same interior i have the eclipse (mirage was not out when i got it) and its got more room than you will ever need

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Here is a nice site with a small writeup and some pics of the P182.

http://www.thetechlounge.com/article/355/Antecs+2007+Product+Lineup/

Looks and sounds nice. Wonder when it'll be available for sale.

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
The nzxt has a less expensive price tag but remeber you get what you pay for if you want quality you got to pay for that the NZXT cases im familiar with them and they are really cheaply made.

the zalmna case is pure aluminum and verry thick no vibrational noise and has great cooling dual intake fans and a huge rear fan for exhaust also my psu works as an exhaust and it has the window too.

trust me sty away from nzxt.

before this case ive always used lian li but the zalmn shines over the lian li the aluminum is much thicker and the hard drive feature is amazing.

mekender

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
i just built a comp with the p180 last week, and frankly the case was a real pleasure, the only real problem i have with the case at all was the wiring of the 4 pin PS wire... it barely fit, but that is frankly a minor concern versus how well made the case is... it is not even as loud as my air conditioner in my house, it is plenty large inside for a desktop case... and it feels like it could withstand a bomb its so sturdy

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Thanks for the info. The P182 looks like it's an "upgraded" P180. They fixed a number of the problems the P180 has particularly the complaint that there's no room to run all the wires from the PS to the board. If it's out when the price cuts hit the C2D's I may get it... other wise I dunno :)

windex

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
if your looking for something sturdy absolutely no vibration thsi si for a real quiet computing situation you would have to go with a steel case and insulated for sound you can iether do the insulation job your self or buy a case that has is all ready

the silentmaxx is prob the best out their for quiet computing and it lets the psu help exhaust the hot air out of your case unlike the p180 having a seperate chamber

silentmaxx ultimate silnce pc case
http://www.acousticpc.com/silentmaxx_blk_st11_pro_quiet_pc_case.html

All real quiet computing enthusiat use steel cases