Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[PW!] Aqua Antics

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 4:36:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Aqua Antics


#I feel terrible. I should be locked away.#

#What's wrong?#

#Me, that's what's wrong. All I've done since I was released is cause
trouble.#

#How exactly?#

#I was nearly captured by some of my fellow Shiny Unown, who nearly ended up
hurting an innocent girl. I was captured by a woman who went on a crime spree
thanks to my abilities. I was taken by that Ditto, and caused him and you and
everyone else so much grief.#

#You couldn't help any of that. You haven't caused anyone pain, misery or
sorrow all on your own; all you've done is something you can't help but do. You
increase other people's abilities and talents; you can't help that.#

#But all that does is cause trouble.#

#Did it cause trouble for the girl?#

#Um...no, no it didn't. She seemed so much stronger after that encounter;
she broke up Dee's mini-collective with ease. It's like something helped her to
find inner strength.#

#That something may have been you.#

#...You really think so?#

#Anything's possible. Look at me. Look at you, for that matter.#

A mental chuckle issued forth. #Guess you got a point.# A mental sigh
followed. #Still, I have caused my share of trouble.#

#You can't help that, now can you? Besides, you have helped people; you've
helped me.#

#Really?#

#Really.#

#...Thank you.#

Alexandria Masters opened her eyes at last, looking towards the I-shaped
Shiny Unown hovering near her with a smile as it opened its eye. "You're
welcome."

Eye seemed to smile with its eye, or at least give off a pleasant aura.

"Okay, enough touchy feely stuff," Nori said, snapping Alex and Eye out of
their reverie. "Now just how far is this Abandoned Ship, anyway?"

"Shouldn't be that far off," Alex assured her traveling companion.

For the past few hours since their departure from Dewford Town, Alex and her
small fraction of the Search Party for Smasher had been heading towards the
famous Abandoned Ship between Dewford and Slateport City. The group had been
doing everything they could to maintain some sanity during the trip, however,
as it was long and boring.

"I don't even see why we're heading there," Nori said as she slumped onto
the deck. "For all we know, Sabrina lied to us."

"It's not her style," Alex argued. "Sabrina wants us there, otherwise she
wouldn't have told us about this." Stretching a bit, she added, "Besides, I'm a
little curious about this myself, and I figure it's worth a look around."

Nori shrugged. "Not like we have anything better to do."

Just within Nori's visual range, Big Time the Larvitar sat and watched as
the boat jetted over the water, his thoughts mixed. He was worried about
Smasher, and that worry only intensified his feelings.

"You okay, little one?" a familiar voice asked.

Big Time looked to one side to find ShadowWarrior the Murkrow standing
beside him, a concerned look in his eyes. The Larvitar sighed, "<I guess.>"

"Thinking about your friend, huh?" ShadowWarrior asked. Big Time looked at
the bird in surprise as ShadowWarrior explained, "I figured it out on my own,
don't worry. I'm the only one who knows."

Big Time blinked, then replied, "<Yeah.>"

"Well, buck up, I've got good news for you," ShadowWarrior announced.
"Alex's sister found Smasher's helmet up near Fallarbor Town, and where he
landed. Based on everything we've seen, he managed to get up and walk away."

"<He did?>" Big Time asked in surprise.

"Yep," the Murkrow replied. "He's alive."

Big Time smiled slightly, then said, "<Thanks.>"

"Hey, no problem," ShadowWarrior assured the younger Pokémon.

At the other end of the boat, Carol silently manned the controls, aided
greatly by an operations manual. Ben and Mawile mostly kept to themselves in
the same area, while Jeff silently looked towards the horizon, hoping to catch
a glimpse of their destination.

The largest member of their party cleared his throat. "Just for the sake of
argument, why would Aqua be holding Bob?" Rubix the Blastoise asked.

Nori shrugged. "Maybe they want to get rid of him."

"Or eliminate the threat he poses," Alex suggested. "That doesn't
necessarily mean killing him."

"What makes you think they wouldn't?" Nori asked.

"In all of the operations involving Team Aqua, either confirmed or
unconfirmed, only one man has ever been seriously harmed," Alex recounted.
"Aqua's operations mostly involve stealth and subterfuge, and killing someone
is like a boy crying 'Mightyena'; it raises attention, attention that they
don't want. Besides, there are other methods to deal with a potential threat,
if one's creative enough."

"Creative?" Nori asked.

"Chances are good that with enough information, a psychic could purge that
Magma-induced personality," Alex guessed. "But it'd take a lot of power from
the psychic, not to mention a lot of skill. I doubt I could pull it off."

"<A safe assessment, given your current level of training,>" Surtur the
Combusken noted.

After a couple seconds of silence, Rubix asked, "How do you know so much
about that?"

"Remember me mentioning one person that Aqua's seriously harmed?" Alex
asked. "That one person was my father. An Aqua murdered him about three and a
half years ago." Already knowing the thought flashing in Rubix's mind, Alex
assured her associates, "Don't worry, I'm not interested in blood lust or
anything. Getting Bob out of there if he's in danger is the greater priority
right now."

"<And discovering the particulars around Mimic,>" Surtur noted. "<He's most
likely with Bob at this moment.>"

"One can hope," Alex replied.

Rubix, meanwhile, was far from assured; while the general consensus was that
Alex wasn't crazy, whether she was dangerous or not remained a matter of
debate. As the small boat approached the Abandoned Ship, things remained
uncertain.

TBC?

[NS: Okay, I figure the base has got to have an underwater entrance. Anyone
want to explore that notion?]

William Rendfeld
Creator of Echowarrior and Alex Masters
178,000 Excellent Author Points
1 'I knew odd pokefacts that confused a bread crumb' point.
20 Y2Tech Points

More about : aqua antics

Anonymous
June 11, 2004 1:21:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

William Rendfeld wrote:
> Rubix, meanwhile, was far from assured; while the general consensus was that
> Alex wasn't crazy, whether she was dangerous or not remained a matter of
> debate. As the small boat approached the Abandoned Ship, things remained
> uncertain.

Which was true below the waterline, too.

Clayton wrote:
> The response was interrupted by Leif and Mimic's entrance.

Which entrance was interrupted by a "Tourist Alert".

"Let me guess," Bob guessed, "someone's exploring the ship?"

Leif nodded. "We have to be a little cautious, operating underneath a
tourist attraction. It wouldn't be the first time Team Magma's tried
to infiltrate our bases by-"

"Sir!" An Aqua tech came running up with a printed photo. "You'll want
to see this, sir."

Leif snatched the paper, and almost as quickly let it go upon seeing the
picture of the approaching party.

Mimic looked over his shoulder. "Coincidence?"

Bob looked over Leif's other shoulder, then shook his head. "We knew
they were headed this way. Maybe they think Smasher's on the boat."

Leif sighed, trying to put his personal feelings aside. "It doesn't
matter. It's just good timing. Could you two meet them up there and
get them out of here, please?"

Mimic chuckled. "Sure. And deliver message to Alex?"

"Yes, please. What's so funny?"

Bob blinked. "No. Mimic, you're not going to-"

One teleport later, the sentence was completed well out of Leif's
earshot.

---

"Hey-hey! There's Bob!" Jeff removed a pair of binoculars from his
eyes as their boat drew ever closer to the Abandoned Ship. "He's on
deck already, and he's waving at us. HEY, BOB!" Jeff waved back,
hoping they were close enough for Bob to see. "There's someone next to
him, probably Mimic."

"Let me see." Alex took a quick peek through the imaging device, only
to nearly drop it.

"Something wrong?" Nori inquired.

"Be on guard. That's Mimic, alright, and he's warning us. Warning
me."

Jeff frowned, taking the binoculars back. "How can you tell? Looks
like he's just standing there."

"That is...was...my father's body, wearing exactly what he did on the
day he died."

"Huh?" Jeff blinked. "Dittos can only copy what they see."

"Mimic told me he can, sometimes, copy things from other peoples'
memories. He must have found someone who remembers my father."

"And if this is an Aqua base..." Carol sighed. "Great."

TBC?
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 1:26:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

>
> At the other end of the boat, Carol silently manned the controls, aided
>greatly by an operations manual. Ben and Mawile mostly kept to themselves in
>the same area, while Jeff silently looked towards the horizon, hoping to
>catch
>a glimpse of their destination.



"I think we're being followed," Ben noted. There was a long shape behind the
boat, with a long and narrow tail whipping behind it. "You think Team Aqua
might be tracking us?"

"Huh?" Carol yawned and looked behind the boat. "Oh. That's just my
Feraligatr. There hasn't been any excitement lately and he needed the exercise.
You got my hopes up for a second there."

"Oh. Sorry." Feraligatr growled at the boat, and Carol blew him a kiss. "Can
you understand him?" Ben asked.

"No, not really. It'd be great if he learned to talk, but there wouldn't be
anything new about a talking Pokémon. They're pretty common these days. If
Feraligatr sounds mad, then I guess he's mad. I think he was just trying to say
hi... or something." Carol shrugged, then returned to the boat controls, idly
looking back to the manual. "I hope we get to this place soon because I'm bored
to unconsciousness back here. There's too much soap opera going on at the front
of the boat. Alex is cool, but she needs a boyfriend or something."

Ben looked at Carol blankly.

"Oh. Well, this is awkward." Carol went back to manning the controls and
tried not to make eye contact with Ben for the rest of the trip.

TBC?

>[NS: Okay, I figure the base has got to have an underwater entrance. Anyone
>want to explore that notion?]
>

[NS: Sure, why not?]



Jose L. Solano
-------------------------------
A devious, degenerate defender of the devil
-------------------------------
"It's too damn safe."
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 1:40:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

> Jeff frowned, taking the binoculars back. "How can you tell? Looks
> like he's just standing there."
>
> "That is...was...my father's body, wearing exactly what he did on the
> day he died."
>
> "Huh?" Jeff blinked. "Dittos can only copy what they see."
>
> "Mimic told me he can, sometimes, copy things from other peoples'
> memories. He must have found someone who remembers my father."
>
> "And if this is an Aqua base..." Carol sighed. "Great."

Ben walked to the forward end of the ship in time to catch to latter end
of the conversation. He squinted to make out the figures standing on the
deck of the ship, realising that, as was said, it definately was Bob.

"Can I lend a hand?" He asked, clasping a Pokeball from his belt and
releasing it, with a call, "Lock On!"

Alex slightly recoved herself, questioning, "Ben? Is that a good idea? I
don't think we need to..."

"Don't worry about it." Ben reassured her, "He's not attacking, just
scoping out the area. And besides, what's the worst that could-"

Ben was stopped in mid sentance, as a disgruntled Mawile pulled itself
onto his trainers shoulder. A swinging maw just missed his head.

---

Meanwhile, inside the base, an Aqua personel was checking the bodies in
the boat, via a deck mounted camera, and reading them off to his anxious
supervisor.

"Five on the boat. Few roving pokemon. Doubtless more in pokeballs..."

The Aqua stopped short as his camera started to go fuzzy. Before he
completely lost his signal, he zoomed in as far as possible, in a last
attempt to get more information. He couldn't help but notice a Magneton
staring directly into the camera.

Cries went up throughout the surveilance room as all moniters were
clouded over with interference. An Admin left the room to report to Leif
they had lost Video Surveilence on the main deck.
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 10:30:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

>> Jeff frowned, taking the binoculars back. "How can you tell? Looks
>> like he's just standing there."
>>
>> "That is...was...my father's body, wearing exactly what he did on the
>> day he died."
>>
>> "Huh?" Jeff blinked. "Dittos can only copy what they see."
>>
>> "Mimic told me he can, sometimes, copy things from other peoples'
>> memories. He must have found someone who remembers my father."
>>
>> "And if this is an Aqua base..." Carol sighed. "Great."
>
>Ben walked to the forward end of the ship in time to catch to latter end
>of the conversation. He squinted to make out the figures standing on the
>deck of the ship, realising that, as was said, it definately was Bob.
>
>"Can I lend a hand?" He asked, clasping a Pokeball from his belt and
>releasing it, with a call, "Lock On!"
>
>Alex slightly recoved herself, questioning, "Ben? Is that a good idea? I
>don't think we need to..."
>
>"Don't worry about it." Ben reassured her, "He's not attacking, just
>scoping out the area. And besides, what's the worst that could-"
>
>Ben was stopped in mid sentance, as a disgruntled Mawile pulled itself
>onto his trainers shoulder. A swinging maw just missed his head.
>
>---
>
>Meanwhile, inside the base, an Aqua personel was checking the bodies in
>the boat, via a deck mounted camera, and reading them off to his anxious
>supervisor.
>
>"Five on the boat. Few roving pokemon. Doubtless more in pokeballs..."
>
>The Aqua stopped short as his camera started to go fuzzy. Before he
>completely lost his signal, he zoomed in as far as possible, in a last
>attempt to get more information. He couldn't help but notice a Magneton
>staring directly into the camera.
>
>Cries went up throughout the surveilance room as all moniters were
>clouded over with interference. An Admin left the room to report to Leif
>they had lost Video Surveilence on the main deck.
>

-


Carol slowly pulled the boat up to the side of the Abandoned Ship as Bob
readied a pair of vines to descend down onto the small boat, Mimic in tow and
Raffy within his Poké Ball. Making certain that he was secure, he slowly
repelled his way down the hull onto the boat.

"Thanks for the lift," Bob replied as he and Mimic settled onto the small
boat. "Smasher's not here, we checked."

"We didn't come for Smasher," Alex explained. "Sabrina saw fit to tell us
about you being here with Team Aqua. And unless the two of you have a good
reason why we need to get on that boat, I say we make a break for it."

"No reason stay," Mimic replied, reaching into his recreated clothing and
pulling out a sheet of paper. "Alex can read message en route."

"That's all I needed to hear," Carol replied as she turned the motor back on
and allowed the boat to roar away.

Alex took the sheet, and gave it a quick glance.

"So why were you here, Bob?" Jeff asked his older brother.

"The Aquas offered to help me deal with that Magma-created personality," Bob
explained. "They couldn't get rid of it, but I at least have a way of keeping
it under control."

"Well that's good news," ShadowWarrior noted. He turned to his trainer and
asked, "So, what's with the note?"

"It's from an Aqua Admin," Alex explained. She then read aloud, "'To Miss
Alexandria Masters. My apologies for not being able to reveal this in person,
however given your companions' recent actions in Petalburg Woods, I thought it
best not to panic those under my command. My name is Leif Henrik, and I am the
head of Team Aqua's Special Operations division. As you are well aware, three
Christmas Eves ago, a group of Team Aqua operatives broke into your father's
labs, copied his computer databases, murdered your father, and left. I was the
agent who led the effort, and am thus responsible for the death of your
father.' "

"This 'Leif' guy killed your father?" Ben asked in surprise.

"No, he's just taking responsibility for it," Alex clarified. She continued,
"'The intention of the operation was a simple one. Your father, as you well
know, was an expert in Pokémon breeding and behavioral studies. In his computer
databases he kept volumes of information concerning these fields. Team Aqua
sought to access this information and use it to our advantage against Team
Magma. I planned on a simple scenario without bloodshed, however my original
plan was foiled by the actions of an overzealous operative who has since ended
up dead in an unrelated situation. While he was the one who fired the gun that
killed your father, I was in command of the operation, and must take
responsibility for the actions of my late subordinate. While nothing I can do
can truly make up for the grievous debt I owe you, should you require my help,
I offer my services.' "

"So an Aqua Admin wants to make up with you," ShadowWarrior realized.
"That's not so bad. There anything else?"

"Yes, one thing," Alex quickly finished. "It says that part of the database
included genetic information on something that wasn't a Pokémon. Specifically,
it was genetic information on members of my family, on my father's side."

"And how does that matter?" Nori asked.

"My dad was where I picked up my unique traits," Alex explained. "He says
he's kept the information under wraps, however."

"<Alexandria, you realize what this may mean,>" Surtur noted. "<This 'Leif'
may be the one who sent those bounty hunters after you.>"

"Doubtful," Alex replied. "The way this was written, he doesn't sound like
the type."

An eyebrow raised in curiosity, Mimic asked, "Bounty hunters?"

"The trainers of those two..." Alex began before looking at Mimic. Shaking
her head to clear her mind, she continued, "...those two Pokémon showed up at
Dewford. If Carol hadn't shown up when she did, chances are good that Tsunade
and several of the guys would be dead and I'd be Goddish knows where."

"So you actually got to see the guys this time," Bob realized. "And they
know that you know that they're after you."

"Which means stealth may not be high priority now," Mimic realized.

"And they may call in help," Alex added. With a sigh, she said, "It's never
easy."

Alex soon felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned to find Ben standing near
her, a soothing smile on his face. "You'll get through this."

Alex smiled, and placed her hand on his. "Thanks," she replied with a light
kiss. With a reassured sigh, she then called, "Now let's get going before this
turns sappy. Slateport's only a few hours away, and we've got a search to
continue."

TBC?

[NS: I think the thread's pretty much finished up, but if anyone wants to add
anything in, feel free. Clayton; I wasn't sure if you meant for Bob to keep
Thyme or not, so I left it vague. You can clarify as soon as you can.]

William Rendfeld
Creator of Echowarrior and Alex Masters
178,000 Excellent Author Points
1 'I knew odd pokefacts that confused a bread crumb' point.
20 Y2Tech Points
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 12:32:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Rob wrote:
> Peabody was supposed to say "Calm down, Wanda." She hasn't revealed her real
> name to him. I really should've noticed that when I read through the post
> before sending it. I'll fix it for the Pavilion, but I just wanted to point
> that out. -_-

Ah, okay. I thought she'd confided in him at some point.
June 14, 2004 12:58:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

> Carol slowly pulled the boat up to the side of the Abandoned Ship as Bob
> readied a pair of vines to descend down onto the small boat, Mimic in tow and
> Raffy within his Poké Ball. Making certain that he was secure, he slowly
> repelled his way down the hull onto the boat.
>
> "Thanks for the lift," Bob replied as he and Mimic settled onto the small
> boat. "Smasher's not here, we checked."
>
> "We didn't come for Smasher," Alex explained. "Sabrina saw fit to tell us
> about you being here with Team Aqua. And unless the two of you have a good
> reason why we need to get on that boat, I say we make a break for it."
>
> "No reason stay," Mimic replied, reaching into his recreated clothing and
> pulling out a sheet of paper. "Alex can read message en route."
>
> "That's all I needed to hear," Carol replied as she turned the motor back on
> and allowed the boat to roar away.
>
> Alex took the sheet, and gave it a quick glance.
>
> "So why were you here, Bob?" Jeff asked his older brother.
>
> "The Aquas offered to help me deal with that Magma-created personality," Bob
> explained. "They couldn't get rid of it, but I at least have a way of keeping
> it under control."
>
> "Well that's good news," ShadowWarrior noted. He turned to his trainer and
> asked, "So, what's with the note?"
>
> "It's from an Aqua Admin," Alex explained. She then read aloud, "'To Miss
> Alexandria Masters. My apologies for not being able to reveal this in person,
> however given your companions' recent actions in Petalburg Woods, I thought it
> best not to panic those under my command. My name is Leif Henrik, and I am the
> head of Team Aqua's Special Operations division. As you are well aware, three
> Christmas Eves ago, a group of Team Aqua operatives broke into your father's
> labs, copied his computer databases, murdered your father, and left. I was the
> agent who led the effort, and am thus responsible for the death of your
> father.' "
>
> "This 'Leif' guy killed your father?" Ben asked in surprise.
>
> "No, he's just taking responsibility for it," Alex clarified. She continued,
> "'The intention of the operation was a simple one. Your father, as you well
> know, was an expert in Pokémon breeding and behavioral studies. In his computer
> databases he kept volumes of information concerning these fields. Team Aqua
> sought to access this information and use it to our advantage against Team
> Magma. I planned on a simple scenario without bloodshed, however my original
> plan was foiled by the actions of an overzealous operative who has since ended
> up dead in an unrelated situation. While he was the one who fired the gun that
> killed your father, I was in command of the operation, and must take
> responsibility for the actions of my late subordinate. While nothing I can do
> can truly make up for the grievous debt I owe you, should you require my help,
> I offer my services.' "
>
> "So an Aqua Admin wants to make up with you," ShadowWarrior realized.
> "That's not so bad. There anything else?"
>
> "Yes, one thing," Alex quickly finished. "It says that part of the database
> included genetic information on something that wasn't a Pokémon. Specifically,
> it was genetic information on members of my family, on my father's side."
>
> "And how does that matter?" Nori asked.
>
> "My dad was where I picked up my unique traits," Alex explained. "He says
> he's kept the information under wraps, however."
>
> "<Alexandria, you realize what this may mean,>" Surtur noted. "<This 'Leif'
> may be the one who sent those bounty hunters after you.>"
>
> "Doubtful," Alex replied. "The way this was written, he doesn't sound like
> the type."
>
> An eyebrow raised in curiosity, Mimic asked, "Bounty hunters?"
>
> "The trainers of those two..." Alex began before looking at Mimic. Shaking
> her head to clear her mind, she continued, "...those two Pokémon showed up at
> Dewford. If Carol hadn't shown up when she did, chances are good that Tsunade
> and several of the guys would be dead and I'd be Goddish knows where."
>
> "So you actually got to see the guys this time," Bob realized. "And they
> know that you know that they're after you."
>
> "Which means stealth may not be high priority now," Mimic realized.
>
> "And they may call in help," Alex added. With a sigh, she said, "It's never
> easy."
>
> Alex soon felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned to find Ben standing near
> her, a soothing smile on his face. "You'll get through this."
>
> Alex smiled, and placed her hand on his. "Thanks," she replied with a light
> kiss. With a reassured sigh, she then called, "Now let's get going before this
> turns sappy. Slateport's only a few hours away, and we've got a search to
> continue."

And so the ride continued with little action. The fact that nothing
happened was refreshing and irritating at the same time. The sandy
beaches of Slateport was not really a place to be wearing a lot of
clothing and epect to blend in, as many of the beach's visitors are
wearing very little. In fact, there was a small section where the
people were wearing nothing but hair accessories.

Bob glared in the direction of the blazing sun. Not that he didn't
apreciate vast quantities of light -- just the opposite in fact --
it's just that it made the outfit he was wearing rather hot.

Jeff, in contrast to his overenergetic self, was enjoying the
beachscape. He slumped to the sand so simply enjoy the sand, sun, and
surf. Mary was enjoying the surf more than the other two.

But the beach had to wait until a little later for the group strolled
along to the Pokemon Center, with intent to launch a battle plan into
the ongoing search. It would be a mealtime discussion as yet another
big map of Hoenn was sprawled across the table.

Bob dared not touch the map, his fingers were a bit messy from the
hamburger he was currently eating.

Alex sat looking at the map.

"We know that Smasher's helmet was found near here," Alex said noting
the Ash Fields of the north. "What else?"

"There's an Aqua base there," Bob said conversationally, motionning
to the area of the Abandoned Ship with a vine. Surprisingly the voice
held no hidden intent or malice. It had merely been an observation.

It hadn't gone completely unnoticed by anyone observant enough.
However none chose to comment on it now.

"And he wasn't in Dewford," Ben added.

"What's that mean?"

There was some thought as the question was processed by this half of
the Search Party.

TBC

-------
Clayton

> [NS: I think the thread's pretty much finished up, but if anyone wants to add
> anything in, feel free. Clayton; I wasn't sure if you meant for Bob to keep
> Thyme or not, so I left it vague. You can clarify as soon as you can.]

[NS: All right, I'm still trying to figure it out. It would make for
a nice contrast in characters.]
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 1:56:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Some time later...

"<Sho.>" The suited pokemon, dressed very much in imitation of human
maria dons, blew a leaf out of his eyes, smoky spores outlining his puff
in the dim light of the cramped, run-down office. "<The boysh shay
you've been ashkin' around about me.>"

Surtur and pseudo-Surtur looked at the grass-type pokemon in front of
them. "<I am afraid you are mistaken. We are looking for a human,>"
the real one replied.

"<Yeah? That'sh not what I hear. You've been looking for Shmasher.
That'sh me.>"

"<Is true,>" the other Surter countered. "<Looking for friend from
Johto.>"

"<Yep. That'sh where I'm from.>" The small one smiled. "<Picked up
the name Shmasher 'caushe I learned how to processh spores into
exploshivesh.>" He pointed to a pile of bags in a corner. "<The
poliche don't like it, but there'sh a great demand for theshe up here in
Hoenn. Bigger market 'n' I ever had back home. Bomber'sh already
taken, but I'm the only Shmasher I know up here.>"

Mimic shook his head. "<If you also named Smasher, case mistaken
identity. Nothing more. Apologies mistake. Be going now.>"

"<Not sho fasht. Once you come in to my lair, you don't leave without
making shome kind of deal. Even if it'sh jusht to be my fertilizer.>"

Surter blinked. Was the diminutive grass pokemon actually threatening
them?

"<Oh, I'm shure you're thinking you're big, tough fire pokemon, not
about to be ordered around by me. But nobody shaysh no to the
Goddishfather. Right, Joey?>" The oddish snapped his fronds like
fingers, and a heavily muscled swampert emerged from the shadows.

Pseudo-Surter grinned. "<Say, Surtur, know what happen when water
pokemon impaled by burning stake?>" He reached down, snapped off a
plank from the wooden flooring, and set it alight.

The true combusken stepped back, expecting a demonstration. "<No, I do
not. What happens?>"

"<Same thing happen almost every other pokemon.>" Mimic waved the
flaming board towards Joey and the Goddishfather, causing them both to
take a step away. He swung it again, leaving a trail of flames; when it
had vanished, so had they.

"<AAAAAAAGGGGGSH! AFTER THEM!>"

"<Dahh, I think we gots bigger problems.>" Joey pointed to the flaming
board, which had landed on Smasher's supply of illicit explosives.

---

On a roof nearby, Surtur and Mimic ducked a couple of the larger,
Johto-bound pieces from the explosion. "<I do believe Set gave us a
false lead,>" Surtur remarked.

TBC?
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 3:45:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"Adrian Tymes" <wingcat@pacbell.net> wrote in message
news:IE2Bc.2106$Us6.720@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com...

> Pseudo-Surter grinned. "<Say, Surtur, know what happen when water
> pokemon impaled by burning stake?>" He reached down, snapped off a
> plank from the wooden flooring, and set it alight.
>
> The true combusken stepped back, expecting a demonstration. "<No, I do
> not. What happens?>"
>
> "<Same thing happen almost every other pokemon.>" Mimic waved the
> flaming board towards Joey and the Goddishfather, causing them both to
> take a step away. He swung it again, leaving a trail of flames; when it
> had vanished, so had they.
>
> "<AAAAAAAGGGGGSH! AFTER THEM!>"
>
> "<Dahh, I think we gots bigger problems.>" Joey pointed to the flaming
> board, which had landed on Smasher's supply of illicit explosives.
>
> ---
>
> On a roof nearby, Surtur and Mimic ducked a couple of the larger,
> Johto-bound pieces from the explosion. "<I do believe Set gave us a
> false lead,>" Surtur remarked.


Back in Slateport, Ben Algam, Alexandria Masters, and Nori Mizuke are
standing inside one of the tented shops on the boardwalk, listening as the
owner hawks his wares.

"This little gadget is a must have for any Psychic Pokemon!" The short,
mustached man exclaims earnestly, holding an object that resembles a
colander high in the air. "It amplifies their alpha waves! Tunes them into
Psychic frequencies! Allows them to gaze into the future, and unlock the
mysteries of the past!"

"I'm not so sure about that," Alex says skeptically. She glances at her
Metang, who is wearing one of the open, "demo" devices. In a manner of
speaking. The helmet has slid off his shiny, metal head, and is currently
resting over one of his eyes. "Grospoliner hasn't said anything since
putting it on. If he received a Psychic vision, I'm sure he would've told
me."

From atop Alex's shoulder, ShadowWarrior the Murkrow nods. "I'm with you,
Alex, but don't forget--when Tsunade's Natu tried that gizmo on, he got a
clue about Smasher's whereabouts. The device may look hokey, but at this
point, I think we need to take any leads we can get."

"True, but why hasn't Grospoliner received a vision?" Alex asks in a low
murmur.

"Maybe because he's the Psychic equivalent of a doorstop?" Nori suggests.
"Dead weight."

Ben scowls in annoyance, not enjoying Nori's company. "Tell me again, why
did you decide to come with us?"

Nori is candid, "It was either the two of you, or the plant guy. To be
honest, I'm not crazy about Grass-types. Besides, I think my chances of
getting gunned down by mutant-obsessed bounty hunters are actually lower
with Alex than they are with him."

"Well, that's something," Alex allows. She plucks the colander shaped
device from Grospoliner's head with a frustrated sigh. "Tsunade, do you
want to give Set another turn? He might be able to give us some more
details as far as Smasher's location."

"Hey! Hey!" the shopkeeper complains, "I'm not loaning these things out for
private use! You've done your demo, are you gonna buy or not?"

"Natu!" Set ducks under the helmet, not caring how the shopkeeper feels
about their mooching. No sooner has the helmet touched his head, when his
eyes light up, and he starts chirping gleefully, "Natu! Natu, natu!
Natooooo!"

Nori's Blastoise translates, "He said that someone named Samson is camping
out in an underwater grotto just south of here."

"Underwater?" Alex repeats, finding this information dubious at best.
"That isn't what he said before. And why would Smasher be going by his last
name? Did Set say anything else?"

Rubix shrugs, "Yeah, that 'the son of Natu is great, and we should all bow
down before his countenance, because that is his command.' ...What do I
know, I don't speak Natu."

Ben frowns, he knows full and well the effect water has on Steel. "Are we
going to check it out?"

"I don't know..." Alex responds, sizing the Natu up suspiciously. "I think
we should wait for Surtur and Mimic to return, before doing anything else."

"Hey!" The salesman has to shout to be heard above the group's chatter.
"Are you going to buy something, or what?"

"Some other time, perhaps," Alex says politely, deciding that's the best
response for the situation. She gestures to her companions, and starts
towards another booth.

* * *

In another part of the city, Blizzard the Persian is pacing up and down the
cobblestone streets, the fury present in her face making her beautiful
crystal eyes glow an even brighter shade of blue. "<I cannot fathom where
to begin with my reprimand,>" the puma Pokemon hisses, newly ejected from
the S.S. Tidal, "<Not only did we fail to recruit a single new member to our
cause, we also forfeited our abode aboard that lovely cruise ship.
Furthermore, I was not permitted to partake of a single morsel from that
practitioner's larder.>"

Sting the Tentacool pops his head out of a nearby fountain, which he's
immersed himself in to prevent his body from drying out in the hot,
Slateport sun. "Tent <you,> 'co. <You> cool<ed things up when you dragged
us into that> cool<ing Pokemon Center. We shoulda just lay low in our base.
I told you that> coolta <Dodrio's plan wouldn't work.>"

Blizzard stops pacing and turns towards Cerberus the Dodrio, who is idly
picking at his feathers, not the least bit interested in the current
conversation. "<I concur. Cerberus, I place the blame for our recent
failure solely on your heads. You are an impetuous Pokemon, and an unfit
second in command.>"

"<Cerberus is an excellent second in command!>" The booming voice of
Cerberus' middle head answers back, "<Cerberus merely failed to anticipate
the idiocy of the players around him. Blame not Cerberus for that failing,
White Lioness, blame the abysmal Albino and the overblown cockroach who
claimed himself a Slowpoke.>"

"Purrr..." Blizzard sits down in the sand, and begins to clean her whiskers,
as if that will help her to focus on the problem at hand, "<It does seem
that there exists a correlation between the appearances of Luthor the
Slowpoke and the comeuppances of our glorious organization. Sting did,
after all, fail to win the Whirl Cup after encountering Luthor.
Additionally, after I first met Luthor in Cerulean City, I was deprived my
opportunity to devour that sumptuous Eevee, Darwin. However, I do not think
he is the root of our problem. Clearly, the Brotherhood is lacking
something. There exist serious problems with our perceived public image,
but I am not certain what they are.>"

Avalanche the Tyranitar, sitting on the ground, looks up at her lazily.
"Grrraaan... <People think we're...>" the pause between Avalanche's words
extends somewhat longer than normal as he struggles to come up with the
proper term.

"<Fearsome? Dangerous? Winsome and beautiful?>" Blizzard attempts to help
him out.

"<...annoying.>" Avalanche finishes.

"Purrrr..." Blizzard completes her bath by grooming her tail. "<Then we
must take measures to improve our image. Perhaps we should requisition a
forum on the human Internet. A personal journal where we can share our
views and wisdom with others.>"

"Tent <that!>" Sting snaps. "<That's a> tent<ing stupid idea. First of
all, we don't HAVE any wisdom to share. The Brotherhood of Evil Pokemon
isn't even a real movement. Our only goal is to rip people off. Blizzard,
you've gotta stop taking this cult> tent <so seriously. That's how we wind
up with> cooltas <like HIM.>" Sting points an accusing tentacle at
Cerberus.

Cerberus' left and middle heads both narrow their eyes. "<White Lioness!>"
The middle head exclaims, "<Cerberus does not understand why you put up with
such belligerent underlings! Do you think you can do no better? Cerberus
would be happy to find you some more worthwhile flunkies, if you so desire.
He could beat both the worth and the flunk into them, if need be.>"

Sing flings himself out of the fountain, and shakes his tentacles at
Cerberus in an intimidating display, "<Hey, bird! You got something to say
to me? You got something to say to me?!? SAY IT TO MY FACE,> TENTA
COOLTA!!!"

The Dodrio snorts, "<Cerberus does not deign to speak with grunts.>"

"COOOOOL!!!!" Sting throws himself at Cerberus and wraps his gooey body
completely around the middle head, cutting off its air supply! Cerberus
stamps around blindly, trying to shake him off, flailing around in panic
even though he still has two working sets of eyes and nostrils.

"Purr..." Blizzard resumes her pacing, oblivious to the battle that's going
on beside her. "<What to do, what to do...>" She sulks, "<Reminiscing
about that Eevee has made me hungry, and I cannot think on an empty stomach.
Avalanche, let us go into market. Perhaps we shall find some food there
that suits my palate.>"

"<Okay.>" Avalanche agrees readily, not having eaten much since he left Mt.
Silver. The two of them trot off in a Western direction. After noticing
that no one in sticking around to watch their death struggle, Sting and
Cerberus grudgingly separate, and hurry to catch up.


TBC?


--Beth
!