No 5.1 surround sound in Win 7

I have a system running Windows 7 64 bit and a set of Logitech z5500 speakers. Originally I was using a Creative X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity board. In XP I was able to get surround sound. When I switched to Win 7, the surround sound stopped working. Sometimes it would test as working in the sound app in the control panel and sometimes it wouldn't. Sometimes I could fix it by reinstalling the board's driver, but it always stopped again over time. Generally I had to make do with a front R/L/C system and the subwoofer.

After googling the issue extensively, I finally decided that the problem was some unidentified conflict between the Creative card and Win 7. So I researched sound cards and finally settled on an Asus Xonar ST with an H6 card. I hooked the system up via a setup that looked like the chart here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513895/asus-xonar-essence-st-with-asus-xonar-h6-extension-card-logitech-z-5500-digital-5-1-speaker-system. However, now all the sound comes out of the front R/L/C--and no subwoofer!

I would appreciate any suggestions about how to rewire/fix this. Barring that, I'd appreciate suggestions about any (non-Logitech) surround speakers, as I guess that's the next thing to try.

Thanks tons!
4 answers Last reply
More about surround sound
  1. you need to setup windows audio to 5.1 also have you turned up the bass on the subwoofer?
  2. Yes both of those were done. I should add that I used Asus's audio center to make sure that it was set to 5.1 as well. After doing that the subwoofer came back. But I still have no sound from the back 2 speakers at all. And I checked their connections too. So I'm pretty much back where I started--sound from front speakers and subwoofer but not the rear speakers.

PLUS I swapped the rear ones for the front ones to verify they work (they do).
  3. For anyone else who has this problem: I wound up buying an optical cable. Suddenly I had surround sound! So I don't know what to make of the problem. But if anyone else has it, there's at least one solution.
  4. mushpuppy said:
    For anyone else who has this problem: I wound up buying an optical cable. Suddenly I had surround sound! So I don't know what to make of the problem. But if anyone else has it, there's at least one solution.

Mush what if one doesnt have an optical output/input any luck so far with regular 3.5 mm vables??
    I too have the same problem but windows isn't owning up to their mistakes.... i heard atleast 40k minimum oeople are having similar issues...
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7