2003 AD Security policy question

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
April 27, 2005 6:21:13 AM

Dear Colleagues:

With Windows NT networks (and I believe 2000 as well), I was unable to set
up a stronger password policy for certain groups.

My desired result is to put a stronger password policy on one group, but a
weaker one on another. Specifically, password complexity rules.

Is this possible with Windows 2003 active directory enabled networks and
those that have 2000 servers in the mix?

Thanks,

CC
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 27, 2005 6:21:14 AM

That has not changed for Windows 2003. If you have a need for different
password policy for a group domain users, then you need another domain. If
you have a particular group that needs higher security you may want to look
into smart cards for that group of users and configure their user accounts
to require smart card logon. --- Steve

"Curious George's Twin" <shaggy@whoamitoday.net> wrote in message
> Dear Colleagues:
>
> With Windows NT networks (and I believe 2000 as well), I was unable to set
> up a stronger password policy for certain groups.
>
> My desired result is to put a stronger password policy on one group, but a
> weaker one on another. Specifically, password complexity rules.
>
> Is this possible with Windows 2003 active directory enabled networks and
> those that have 2000 servers in the mix?
>
> Thanks,
>
> CC

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 27, 2005 6:21:15 AM

The other alternative is writing or purchasing an alternative
password filter.

--
Roger
> That has not changed for Windows 2003. If you have a need for different
> password policy for a group domain users, then you need another domain. If
> you have a particular group that needs higher security you may want to
look
> into smart cards for that group of users and configure their user accounts
> to require smart card logon. --- Steve
>

> "Curious George's Twin" <shaggy@whoamitoday.net> wrote in message
> > Dear Colleagues:
> >
> > With Windows NT networks (and I believe 2000 as well), I was unable to
set
> > up a stronger password policy for certain groups.
> >
> > My desired result is to put a stronger password policy on one group, but
> > weaker one on another. Specifically, password complexity rules.
> >
> > Is this possible with Windows 2003 active directory enabled networks and
> > those that have 2000 servers in the mix?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > CC

a b 8 Security
April 27, 2005 6:59:34 AM

What are you doing up so late?? --- Steve

> The other alternative is writing or purchasing an alternative
> password filter.
>
> --
> Roger
> "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
>> That has not changed for Windows 2003. If you have a need for different
>> password policy for a group domain users, then you need another domain.
>> If
>> you have a particular group that needs higher security you may want to
> look
>> into smart cards for that group of users and configure their user
>> accounts
>> to require smart card logon. --- Steve
>>

>> "Curious George's Twin" <shaggy@whoamitoday.net> wrote in message
>> > Dear Colleagues:
>> >
>> > With Windows NT networks (and I believe 2000 as well), I was unable to
> set
>> > up a stronger password policy for certain groups.
>> >
>> > My desired result is to put a stronger password policy on one group,
>> > but
>> > weaker one on another. Specifically, password complexity rules.
>> >
>> > Is this possible with Windows 2003 active directory enabled networks
>> > and
>> > those that have 2000 servers in the mix?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > CC

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 27, 2005 6:59:35 AM

Sort of what I was wondering about you, especially considering
the many time-zones between !!! I suppose you are calling it
morning while I am calling it late night :-)
I've been up with some freelance stuff.

--
Roger
> What are you doing up so late?? --- Steve
>

> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
> > The other alternative is writing or purchasing an alternative
> > password filter.
> >
> > --
> > Roger
> > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> That has not changed for Windows 2003. If you have a need for different
> >> password policy for a group domain users, then you need another domain.
> >> If
> >> you have a particular group that needs higher security you may want to
> > look
> >> into smart cards for that group of users and configure their user
> >> accounts
> >> to require smart card logon. --- Steve
> >>

> >> "Curious George's Twin" <shaggy@whoamitoday.net> wrote in message

> > set

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 27, 2005 9:57:45 AM

Thanks Roger, its appreciated.

I am sorry, but what do you mean by an alternative password filter? I dont
know what that is.

CC
> The other alternative is writing or purchasing an alternative
> password filter.
>
> --
> Roger
> "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
>> That has not changed for Windows 2003. If you have a need for different
>> password policy for a group domain users, then you need another domain.
>> If
>> you have a particular group that needs higher security you may want to
> look
>> into smart cards for that group of users and configure their user
>> accounts
>> to require smart card logon. --- Steve
>>

>> "Curious George's Twin" <shaggy@whoamitoday.net> wrote in message
>> > Dear Colleagues:
>> >
>> > With Windows NT networks (and I believe 2000 as well), I was unable to
> set
>> > up a stronger password policy for certain groups.
>> >
>> > My desired result is to put a stronger password policy on one group,
>> > but
>> > weaker one on another. Specifically, password complexity rules.
>> >
>> > Is this possible with Windows 2003 active directory enabled networks
>> > and
>> > those that have 2000 servers in the mix?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > CC

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
April 27, 2005 4:18:39 PM

I was up late also. Maybe you are working on a new book?? --- Steve

!