2003 AD Security policy question

Dear Colleagues:

With Windows NT networks (and I believe 2000 as well), I was unable to set
up a stronger password policy for certain groups.

My desired result is to put a stronger password policy on one group, but a
weaker one on another. Specifically, password complexity rules.

Is this possible with Windows 2003 active directory enabled networks and
those that have 2000 servers in the mix?

Thanks,

CC
6 answers Last reply
More about 2003 security policy question

    That has not changed for Windows 2003. If you have a need for different
    password policy for a group domain users, then you need another domain. If
    you have a particular group that needs higher security you may want to look
    into smart cards for that group of users and configure their user accounts
    to require smart card logon. --- Steve

    "Curious George's Twin" <shaggy@whoamitoday.net> wrote in message
    > Dear Colleagues:
    >
    > With Windows NT networks (and I believe 2000 as well), I was unable to set
    > up a stronger password policy for certain groups.
    >
    > My desired result is to put a stronger password policy on one group, but a
    > weaker one on another. Specifically, password complexity rules.
    >
    > Is this possible with Windows 2003 active directory enabled networks and
    > those that have 2000 servers in the mix?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > CC

    The other alternative is writing or purchasing an alternative
    password filter.

    --
    Roger
    > That has not changed for Windows 2003. If you have a need for different
    > password policy for a group domain users, then you need another domain. If
    > you have a particular group that needs higher security you may want to
    look
    > into smart cards for that group of users and configure their user accounts
    > to require smart card logon. --- Steve
    >

    > "Curious George's Twin" <shaggy@whoamitoday.net> wrote in message
    > > Dear Colleagues:
    > >
    > > With Windows NT networks (and I believe 2000 as well), I was unable to
    set
    > > up a stronger password policy for certain groups.
    > >
    > > My desired result is to put a stronger password policy on one group, but
    > > weaker one on another. Specifically, password complexity rules.
    > >
    > > Is this possible with Windows 2003 active directory enabled networks and
    > > those that have 2000 servers in the mix?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > CC

    What are you doing up so late?? --- Steve

    > The other alternative is writing or purchasing an alternative
    > password filter.
    >
    > --
    > Roger
    > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> That has not changed for Windows 2003. If you have a need for different
    >> password policy for a group domain users, then you need another domain.
    >> If
    >> you have a particular group that needs higher security you may want to
    > look
    >> into smart cards for that group of users and configure their user
    >> accounts
    >> to require smart card logon. --- Steve
    >>

    >> "Curious George's Twin" <shaggy@whoamitoday.net> wrote in message
    >> > Dear Colleagues:
    >> >
    >> > With Windows NT networks (and I believe 2000 as well), I was unable to
    > set
    >> > up a stronger password policy for certain groups.
    >> >
    >> > My desired result is to put a stronger password policy on one group,
    >> > but
    >> > weaker one on another. Specifically, password complexity rules.
    >> >
    >> > Is this possible with Windows 2003 active directory enabled networks
    >> > and
    >> > those that have 2000 servers in the mix?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > CC

    Sort of what I was wondering about you, especially considering
    the many time-zones between !!! I suppose you are calling it
    morning while I am calling it late night :-)
    I've been up with some freelance stuff.

    --
    Roger
    > What are you doing up so late?? --- Steve
    >

    > "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
    > > The other alternative is writing or purchasing an alternative
    > > password filter.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Roger
    > > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >> That has not changed for Windows 2003. If you have a need for different
    > >> password policy for a group domain users, then you need another domain.
    > >> If
    > >> you have a particular group that needs higher security you may want to
    > > look
    > >> into smart cards for that group of users and configure their user
    > >> accounts
    > >> to require smart card logon. --- Steve
    > >>

    > >> "Curious George's Twin" <shaggy@whoamitoday.net> wrote in message

    > > set

    Thanks Roger, its appreciated.

    I am sorry, but what do you mean by an alternative password filter? I dont
    know what that is.

    CC
    > The other alternative is writing or purchasing an alternative
    > password filter.
    >
    > --
    > Roger
    > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> That has not changed for Windows 2003. If you have a need for different
    >> password policy for a group domain users, then you need another domain.
    >> If
    >> you have a particular group that needs higher security you may want to
    > look
    >> into smart cards for that group of users and configure their user
    >> accounts
    >> to require smart card logon. --- Steve
    >>

    >> "Curious George's Twin" <shaggy@whoamitoday.net> wrote in message
    >> > Dear Colleagues:
    >> >
    >> > With Windows NT networks (and I believe 2000 as well), I was unable to
    > set
    >> > up a stronger password policy for certain groups.
    >> >
    >> > My desired result is to put a stronger password policy on one group,
    >> > but
    >> > weaker one on another. Specifically, password complexity rules.
    >> >
    >> > Is this possible with Windows 2003 active directory enabled networks
    >> > and
    >> > those that have 2000 servers in the mix?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > CC

    I was up late also. Maybe you are working on a new book?? --- Steve

    > Sort of what I was wondering about you, especially considering
    > the many time-zones between !!! I suppose you are calling it
    > morning while I am calling it late night :-)
    > I've been up with some freelance stuff.
    >
    > --
    > Roger
    > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@nospam-comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> What are you doing up so late?? --- Steve
    >>

    >> "Roger Abell" <mvpNOSpam@asu.edu> wrote in message
    >> > The other alternative is writing or purchasing an alternative
    >> > password filter.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Roger
    >> > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> > look

    >> > set

Policy Security Windows Server 2003 Windows