Help new CPU wont boot.

matrixinc

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
OK. The parts arrived for my new CPU yesterday.
I put it all together it starts up fine. Install Vista.
Everything still ok.
Try to load mobo drivers and couldn't because the cd that came with the mobo is not for vista.
Internet is down so I just play with Vista for the night.
I shut it down.
I get home from work today turn on the computer and the monitor never comes out of sleep mode. Why will it not boot today.

When I turn on the power I hear very faintly 1 long beep followed by two short beeps.

I removed the memory to see what kind of beeps i get and I only get one long beep.

How do I begin to troubleshoot this and get my CPU back up and running.

I have shorted the pins on cmos.
I also removed the battery for a few minutes to try and clear CMOS. Nothing. please help.

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
1 Long 2 short beeps means your video card is bad or missing.

Reseat your video card, make sure the PCIe power cable is plugged into your video card, check your monitor cables.

matrixinc

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
The beeps were actually coming from the cd drive.
There arent any beeps. But there wont be the antec 900 does not come with a speaker and I do not have one.

I have reseated the video card.
I have tried a PCI video card thinking my new card was bad.
Nothing.

Mondoman

Splendid
Your MB manual should have a troubleshooting guide; if not, the manufacturer's website should have one.

BTW, did you hook up the speaker to the "speaker" pins or to the "audio out" pins?

matrixinc

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I hooked the speaker up to the F Panel speaker output next to where the power and reset buttons get plugged into.

Yes I unplugged from power, removed battery, then shorted pins.

Mondoman

Splendid
It wouldn't hurt to test the PS (PS often "partly" fail, so the green LED and/or fans could still work even if a key voltage was missing). You can get a basic PS tester from Radio Shack or mailorder for around $10.

matrixinc

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
You can get a basic PS tester from Radio Shack or mailorder for around $10.

Will this tester work?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2217636&cp=&sr=1&origkw=power+supply+tester&kw=power+supply+tester&parentPage=search

I see that connectors that it will test. Don't I need to be able to test the large connector that plugs into the mobo?

Also I own several fluke meters as I am an electrician. If I knew what voltages on what wires, it seems as if I could maybe test the unit without purchasing anything.

Thanks for the help.

matrixinc

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I bought a tester the tester above. The -5V led did not come one.

I did not see anything mentioned in the PS manual about a -5V output.

Is the power supply dead?

Thanks for the help.

matrixinc

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
OK I RMA'd the motherboard and finally got it back today. What a long RMA process. I installed everything and it started up fine. Then after having the computer up for about thirty minutes I decided to shut it down. I click start and shut down. It shuts down. It will not start back up. This is the same thing that happended the first time. Shut it down and it never comes back up. Should I RMA the mobo again?

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
As long as you rememberto put a load on the PSU, you can test for voltage.
I highly doubt two motherboards would die for the same really strange reason. After you try to restart, do you get anything, lights fans? Does waiting change things(cooling maybe?) I might talk to the PSU maker, but not RMA anything else without more testing.

matrixinc

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I have resaeted all components except for the HSF and processor. Still the same thing. I noticed that on the first powerup the motherboard will reboot then startup. This basically clears the Bios settings. Is there any way to make this motherboard think it is its first startup again? I am just trying to figure out what to do. It sucks that I have had this stuff since Feb and it is still not going.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Depends on the tester, I't may not catch power dips or spicks that could cause repeated damage to the mobo. There might be another componit causing damage too.

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
I see you are using high end RAM, the spec voltage of your RAM is likely 1.9-2.1v, your motherboard may be defaulting to 1.8v, set the voltage manually to the spec voltage for your RAM.

I could buy the argument that you have another component taking out your motherboard, if so it would likely be the PSU.

You've been at this for 1 1/2 months, if you don't figure it out soon I would take it to your local PC shop where they can test everything and tell you for sure what's wrong.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I really can't be sure if that will test over time with the ammount of power the powersupply is suppose to give.

Edit: the only tester I could be sure about truly testing with is an Ohms meter.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I would agree with cutthroat, that it is possibly the ram voltage setting.

One thing I am not sure with that gigabyte MB, but the MSI MB I built recently has a feature to where if I hit the button power 3 times, the bios goes to default settings, in case I screw something up.

I was wondering does that S3 have like an OC protection? If it does have a similar feature, that might get him in the bios to at least set the voltage to its requirement.

Just on a side note, I'm not saying his system is OC, just saying if that feature exists on that MB, it could be used maybe to help him get in to the bios.

matrixinc

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
What is odd is the the CPU both times powered up fine then after the shutdown they just never come up. Something is happening when I click shutdown from within Windows. I don't know it just seems odd that it worked both times for the first power up but not the second.