display start meny

new comp. i have no start menu when the computer re boots, how do i get the
start menu to stay on ?? i have no icons or start menu

What kind of computer and which version of XP? In other words, give a few
details about what you are working with and what you are doing (just
installed XP? etc.)

"angelojos" <angelojos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> new comp. i have no start menu when the computer re boots, how do i get
> the
> start menu to stay on ?? i have no icons or start menu

HP pavilion windows xp, a 847 c, everything came pre installed, i installed
an anti virus, and the dsl disc..

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> What kind of computer and which version of XP? In other words, give a few
> details about what you are working with and what you are doing (just
> installed XP? etc.)

> "angelojos" <angelojos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > new comp. i have no start menu when the computer re boots, how do i get
> > the
> > start menu to stay on ?? i have no icons or start menu

1. If you mean have the Start menu not close after you make a selection,
you can't. That's just how Windows works. If you mean you have no Start
menu even when you click on the Start button (or you have no Start button at
all), then you have an issue.

2. The default configuration for Windows XP is to have only the Recycle Bin
on the desktop until you install a program that puts an icon on the desktop.
Your antivirus program probably does not unless you chose to have an icon on
the desktop. However, your antivirus program does put an icon in the
Notification Area of the task bar (at the bottom of the screen, far right by
the clock).

If you want to have the My Computer, My Documents, My Network Places, and
Internet Explorer to show on the desktop, then right click on the Desktop
(Display Properties appears), select the Desktop tab, and at the bottom
click on Customize Destop (the Desktop Items page appears). On the General
Tab in the top where it says Desktop Icons, checkmark each Icon you want to
show on the desktop. Click OK, Apply and OK, and voila, "You've got icons."

> HP pavilion windows xp, a 847 c, everything came pre installed, i
> installed
> an anti virus, and the dsl disc..
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> What kind of computer and which version of XP? In other words, give a
>> few
>> details about what you are working with and what you are doing (just
>> installed XP? etc.)
>>
>> --
>> "angelojos" <angelojos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > new comp. i have no start menu when the computer re boots, how do i get
>> > the
>> > start menu to stay on ?? i have no icons or start menu

Hi, Angelojos.

One way to make the Start button disappear is to make the entire Taskbar
zero lines high. To do that, just hover the mouse pointer over the top edge
of the Taskbar until it becomes a double-pointed arrow, then hold down the
left mouse button and drag it down until the Taskbar disappears, Start
button and all. I don't know if this setting survives a restart, though.

To get the Taskbar back, reverse the procedure: Hover the mouse at the very
bottom of your screen to get the double-pointed arrow, then drag up until
the Taskbar is one line (or two or more lines) high.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"angelojos" <angelojos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> new comp. i have no start menu when the computer re boots, how do i get
> the
> start menu to stay on ?? i have no icons or start menu

ok i checked all thoose icons, but the icons do not appear on my desktop ,
and I still do not have the start menu, I tried dragging at bottom of the
screen to see if it was there , that didn't work either, do u think my