noidly1

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
a8n32-sli w/ 4800+ cpu. yea, i know it's out-dated. thinking about goin intel 775
4 sticks patriot 1 gigers ddr400 c2.3.2.5
2 xfx 8800 gtx-xxx v-cards
1 80g hard drive for os'es
4 160g hard drives, 2 for data, 2 for raid
1 cd-rw
1 dvd-rw/cd-rw
4 fans
portable usb drives

noidly1

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
isn't a good idea to have a little "head-room"?
by brother has a band and says that his amps are bigger than he NEEDS but with the extra "head-room", it makes for cleaner sound.

yea or nea?

nilepez

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
isn't a good idea to have a little "head-room"?
by brother has a band and says that his amps are bigger than he NEEDS but with the extra "head-room", it makes for cleaner sound.

yea or nea?

Audio requirements can vary dramatically (and to be honest, live amps tend to be very noisey). Deep Bass can quickly eat up all your power.

For the most part your system is going to use what it's going to use.

Take a look at reviews of systems with 8800GTX SLIed, and you'll find they generally use under 500 watts. The only exception that I can find to this is Hard OCP's BFG review (which doesn't actually review in in SLI, but we can extrapolate from other reviews that the 8800gtx uses about 155w).

But even that's misleading, because with the exception of the 155w figure, almost all PSU measurements are measured at the wall. If you assume a decent efficient PSU was used, then you take the measured wattage * .80.

Even if it's 600w, you're actual usage is 480w. What these other sites can't account for is how much power your drives use. If these were WD RE drives, they probalby use under 1amp each (around 9 watts). OTOH, Seagate seems to suggest that the 7200.10 use a whopping 2.8a (which is shockingly high, but that's probably only at start up, which can be overcome by staggering when the drives spin up).

Bottom line is that Mpilch has already got plenty of headroom in the PSU size he suggested.

Enjoy your rig.....I dn't envy the price you paid for those cards, but I do envy the performance ;)

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
The PSU that MPILCHFAMILY suggested is not only sufficient for your needs, but has the solid quality of an exceptional name brand manufacturer.

Props as always to MPILCHFAMILY - he knows his PSUs. Read the links on his signature thoroughly, say your prayers at night, and live a good and righteous life - and someday you too will know what is needed in a PSU.

Cheers.