SATA Jumper Setting Question

henryo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
So I just got my new SATA 500GB Segate Barracude 7200.9 Hard Drive and was wondering if I should remove the plastic thing that covers 2 of the jumper block pins (what are those called btw?). I am using it an an AMS Venus DS2316su2sb External USB Enclosure. Ive read the seagate documentation and they say that the jumper block allows you to force the drive into a slower operating speed. Anyone know if the enclosure I have supports the higher speed or will it not even matter since I'm using it via usb 2.0?

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I was wondering if I should remove the plastic thing that covers 2 of the jumper block pins (what are those called btw?).

A jumper. 8) Some people also call it a jumper block or shorting block.

Anyone know if the enclosure I have supports the higher speed or will it not even matter since I'm using it via usb 2.0?

The enclosure may not support the higher speed (SATA-300), and it won't matter anyway. Maximum transfer rate you can get from most external enclosures over USB 2.0 is about 35 MB/sec.

Leave it on the slower speed (SATA-150), and it won't make a bit of difference.

henryo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Thanks for the reply

Then what do you call the entire jumper area thing? Wouldn't the whole thing be called the jumper block and the plastic thing be called something else?