azshe

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
i went for the pny one it was the cheapest on newegg. works like any other stock non OCed reference card

red_devil

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
My guess would be get an XFX or an ASUS.

XFX has been making graphics cards for years and have plenty of experience, while Asus is new to the business but are rising pretty fast.

the two will be the same, unless u buy an overclocked card.

Personally, i think XFX is better cuz they tend to use a better cooling structure (but i'm not sure)

G

there is also the gigabyte and leadtek verson of this card, personally im leaning towards the gigabyte one i think. anyone have an opinion on these two brands?

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
What PSU do you have?

You will need a good quality PSU to run one 8800gtx. You will need min of 34-36 amps on 12V+ rails. Remember PSU is the most overlooked component in a system. Spend wisly.

What is the rest of your system?

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
i am thinking of getting a 8800gtx, but not sure what i should get, the MSi the Asus or the XFX one, wich one is the best?

They should basicly all be the same.
I like XFX myself as unless you change parts on them or run them over with a truck they will fix/replace or give you the next modal up and they don't care how many people owned it befor you send it in to them.
Of all the "lifetime warrentys" they have the best.

Asus is way overpriced.

chameleon101

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Hold onto your pennies a bit longer, R600 will be out soon enough and Nvidia will have to try and take the crown back with the 8900 series, better off waiting for that, you've come this far a couple of months wont hurt.

Blademasterpt

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Was looking for the graphics card for the system im planning on putting up
Motherboard: Asus Striker Extreme
Processor: Intel Core2 Quad Extreme QX6700
Graphics Card: 8800GTX (undecided on build yet)
Memory: Kingston PC2-6400 (800) HyperX [KHX6400D2LLK2/2G](2x1024 or 4x1024)
HD:WD Raptor
Optical Drive: PX-760SA
Chassis: TT Soprano DX
Power Supply: TT Toughpower 700W (because of the detachable cables)

by the way, will the 88''gtx fit in TT Soprano? i see a lot of warning everywhere regarding the card's size

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Was looking for the graphics card for the system im planning on putting up
Motherboard: Asus Striker Extreme
Processor: Intel Core2 Quad Extreme QX6700
Graphics Card: 8800GTX (undecided on build yet)
Memory: Kingston PC2-6400 (800) HyperX [KHX6400D2LLK2/2G](2x1024 or 4x1024)
HD:WD Raptor
Optical Drive: PX-760SA
Chassis: TT Soprano DX
Power Supply: TT Toughpower 700W (because of the detachable cables)

by the way, will the 88''gtx fit in TT Soprano? i see a lot of warning everywhere regarding the card's size

Your going to be drawing alot of power...it would be wise to avoid a PSU with detachable connectors or multi 12 volt "rails".
The least I would buy would be a Silverstone if I could not use a PC Powercooling.
All your other parts are top shelf so why skimp on the most important item?

frenchbread

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Your going to be drawing alot of power...it would be wise to avoid a PSU with detachable connectors or multi 12 volt "rails".
The least I would buy would be a Silverstone if I could not use a PC Powercooling.
All your other parts are top shelf so why skimp on the most important item?

This man is right. A good PSU with a stout single 12v rail would be your best choice and the one you are going to use is not the best one in the world, especially when pairing it up with a high power draw GPU like the G80. The amps on the 12v rail are most important now a days, not the total wattage.

Either of these would do a much better job and are affordable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103437

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817163111

IMO go XFX if you have the power and a properly cooled case
I recommend the XFX brand, though they are a tad more expensive than regular brands, XFX over clocks the standard Nvidia drivers for you, and they compensate the cooling as well. This is great because with cool bits auto over clock you can over clock with hardly any temp difference!!!! and if you really want to go crazy, you can over clock them really easily provided you cool your case properly!

I would go with this card if it can fit in your motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130082

If your going to spend that much money IMO get this card XFX version

Its faster and for only about $39 more[/u]

frenchbread

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
What do u mean "They overclock the nvidia driver"?

They over clock the standard Nvidia 8800 chipset for you. Like the Standard CPU is 550MHz, XFX takes it to 580MHz, the standard Memory is 1500MHz, XFX's version is 1800MHz

[I think those are the exact specs, but dont quote me on it]

Trunkz_Jr

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Really??? hmmmmmm good to know lool I was leaning towards getting the XFX version, guess i'm gonna go with the EVGA kos3 edition [or whatever] or at the very least the BFG one.

frenchbread

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
XFX has a track record for some of the most problems (DOA'S ETC...)out of any other GPU manufacturer.

I definitely own an XFX, HAVE HAD ZERO PROBLEMS and have successfully over clocked it as well in both auto-over clock, and manual, unless you've owned one Rob you shouldn't comment, and I'm about to buy another that will probably have ZERO PROBLEMS

also on a side note XFX IMO tends to lead the industry, like for instance when they came out with the 7950gt many companies put a 3-speed fan on it that 'wined' instead of beefing up a fan XFX made it completely silent, a passively cooled card, that was faster and cooler than the stock version

Besides if you were gonna buy an XFX, say on newegg just look at what other people said, and weather or not they have had problems

red_devil

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
What do u mean "They overclock the nvidia driver"?

They over clock the standard Nvidia 8800 chipset for you. Like the Standard CPU is 550MHz, XFX takes it to 580MHz, the standard Memory is 1500MHz, XFX's version is 1800MHz

[I think those are the exact specs, but dont quote me on it]

I know the cards are pre-overclocked, but that's from the hardware, they don't overclock the driver (but it would be cool though :))

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
its down to personal opinion really, if you search on the internet you will find lots of problems with cards from all mnufacturers....people post problems not congratz for making great cards.

IMO

1. XFX
2. BFG
3. EVGA

but take alook at the warrenties and decide which is BEST FOR YOU, they are all about the same, in price and performance. dont not go for a card becuase someone says they break all the time, take a look at the forums you will find problems with BFG and EVGA as well as XFX, it just comes down to luck.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Hmmmm Maybe I should wait for the 8900's, i heard it makes alot of heat x_X

Not any more than say the X1900XTX cards from ATI, my last card was a X1900XTX and that thing ran almost identical temps to the 8800GTX yet you hardly ever hear of anyone complaining about the ATI X1900XTX temps :roll:

Back when the 1900s were first released, there were plenty of complaints about heat and noise, along with reviews of aftermarket GPU HSFs that discussed it in detail. The topic raised its head again when the 1950 series was fitted with a quieter cooler with equal or better cooling performance.