using xp's eventquery.vbs on win2k server... need a little..

Hello,

I recently found that the eventquery.vbs script which comes with XP and
win2003 server could save me a ton of time sifting through logs.. I
figured out how to get it to work (mostly) on win2k by doing the
following:

This script does not exist in windows2000 (server) but can be made to
work by doing the following:

1. Copy eventquery.vbs from XP or win2003server to c:\winnt\system32\
2. Copy CMDLIB.wsc from xp or win2003server to c:\winnt\system32\
3. Register CMDLIB.wsc with the windows 2000 machine by doing the
following at a command prompt:
regsvr32 c:\winnt\system32\CMDLIB.wsc /s

On my test instance (win2k server), I was able to query the security
event log with no troubles. I then did the above procedure on my win2k
domain controller. I can query all logs accept the security log (which
is the one I most want to query). Here is the error I get when running
cscript c:\winnt\system32\eventquery.vbs /l security /v on my win2k
domain controller:

ERROR: Unable to execute the query for the 'security' log

I can use the /s computername switch to query the security log on a
domain client (xp or win2ksp4) from the domain controller with no
problem. I also attempted to run the eventquery.vbs script from one of
my XP domain clients with the /s domaincontroller and it to failed with
the same error message.

I CAN see the security log using the event viewer on the domain
controller.

Can anyone shed light on this?

thanks,
cj
2 answers Last reply
More about using eventquery win2k server little

    use eventcombMT

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

    --
    Glenn L
    CCNA, MCSE 2000/2003 + Security

    <chris.jasper@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently found that the eventquery.vbs script which comes with XP and
    > win2003 server could save me a ton of time sifting through logs.. I
    > figured out how to get it to work (mostly) on win2k by doing the
    > following:
    >
    > This script does not exist in windows2000 (server) but can be made to
    > work by doing the following:
    >
    > 1. Copy eventquery.vbs from XP or win2003server to c:\winnt\system32\
    > 2. Copy CMDLIB.wsc from xp or win2003server to c:\winnt\system32\
    > 3. Register CMDLIB.wsc with the windows 2000 machine by doing the
    > following at a command prompt:
    > regsvr32 c:\winnt\system32\CMDLIB.wsc /s
    >
    > On my test instance (win2k server), I was able to query the security
    > event log with no troubles. I then did the above procedure on my win2k
    > domain controller. I can query all logs accept the security log (which
    > is the one I most want to query). Here is the error I get when running
    > cscript c:\winnt\system32\eventquery.vbs /l security /v on my win2k
    > domain controller:
    >
    > ERROR: Unable to execute the query for the 'security' log
    >
    > I can use the /s computername switch to query the security log on a
    > domain client (xp or win2ksp4) from the domain controller with no
    > problem. I also attempted to run the eventquery.vbs script from one of
    > my XP domain clients with the /s domaincontroller and it to failed with
    > the same error message.
    >
    > I CAN see the security log using the event viewer on the domain
    > controller.
    >
    > Can anyone shed light on this?
    >
    > thanks,
    > cj

    Will that work on a win2k domain server?

    thanks,
    cj

VBS Security Windows XP Servers Windows