Computer won't even start properly

link064

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Okay, so I have this problem with a new computer I just built. After finishing connecting all the wires and whatnot, I go to boot up and the computer shuts down part-way up. I can't get the computer to stay on for more than 1 minute before it just shuts down (no restart, just shutdown). I try to enter the BIOS after booting partially, but the system shuts down when going into the BIOS. Sometimes I can get into the BIOS and look around, and then it will just randomly shut down.
I think I've labeled it to either the PSU or the BIOS. I thought it may have been a CPU overheating problem, but there's no way it could overheat that fast (sometimes it would shut down within 10-15 seconds). I'm pretty sure it's not any of the components because I've already tried disconnecting all the components and trying to boot (but with the same results). I've tried removing single sticks of memory (to no avail). I've tried resetting the CMOS, but it doesn't even look like the CMOS can save (when I can get into the BIOS and stay long enough to change something and I go hit 'Save to CMOS' the computer shuts down instead of rebooting). Additionally, every time the computer boots up, it gives the error "CMOS checksum error. Defaults loaded."

Here's the list of components I'm using:
Mobo- Biostar 945G Micro 775SE
CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe
Memory-Kingston HyperX 512MB (2 x 256MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533
Case/PSU-JUST PC 708ATXBK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W ATX12V P4 SATA Power Supply
HD-Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
(I doubt the other parts matter since they aren't even connected)

Anyone have any ideas?

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
there's no way it could overheat that fast (sometimes it would shut down within 10-15 seconds)

Yes it can. I once had an OEM PC that did that, I checked the heatsink and found they had not removed the paper from the thermal tape. I removed the tape completely and replaced it with Arctic Silver and it was all good.

drummerdude

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
there's no way it could overheat that fast (sometimes it would shut down within 10-15 seconds)

Yes it can. I once had an OEM PC that did that, I checked the heatsink and found they had not removed the paper from the thermal tape. I removed the tape completely and replaced it with Arctic Silver and it was all good.

thats what it sounds like to me, have you checked it?

szwaba67

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Check the 115/220 switch on the back of the PSU if it has one. I've experienced similar problems on one that was set to 220v on a 115v outlet. Some HP servers came in that way, go figure.

link064

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Check the 115/220 switch on the back of the PSU if it has one. I've experienced similar problems on one that was set to 220v on a 115v outlet
It's funny that you mention that. That's one of the first things I checked.

Sounds like a crap PSU to me. Try a different one.
That's one of the things I haven't tried. I haven't had the time to go to Fry's or BestBuy to pick up a temp one.

I also checked the heatsink's contact to the cpu and it's thermal paste and it looks fine. Then again, I'm sure it could always do a bit better with a new coat (all it has is the stock stuff).

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
If these tests are done w/o GPU, that PSU should be able to run the system. I would also look first at the heatsink, (stock?) and re-do the thermal compound to make triple sure it is right and make sure all the clips are secure. Heard many people with problems installing the stock cooler. Them RMA the case/psu If possible, newegg is good at helping.

link064

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
Thanks for all of your help! :)
After some digging, we found out it's a bad mobo and we're in the process of getting another.
Thanks again!