Device Object Security Group Policy

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
May 3, 2005 10:07:09 AM

I want to change Device Object Security with group policy it is possible?
can give me the way?
Thank you
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 4, 2005 9:07:46 PM

Could you give us example of what you mean by
Device Object Security
I suspect that many of us think we know what you mean but are
not familiar with the use of that term and so unsure.

--
Roger
"nmicheli" <nmicheli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to change Device Object Security with group policy it is possible?
> can give me the way?
> Thank you
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 5, 2005 4:36:02 AM

I need to get a hardware disk id.
I use
CreateFile (\\\\.\\PhysicalDrive0",
GENERIC_READ | GENERIC_WRITE,
FILE_SHARE_READ | FILE_SHARE_WRITE, NULL,
OPEN_EXISTING, 0, NULL);

and DeviceIoControl (hPhysicalDriveIOCTL, DFP_GET_VERSION....)

In several server windows domain it works correctly with normal user rights,
but I found with some windows domain that it work only if have
administrator rights. I must use it without administrator rights. I suppose
that this depends on group policy setting, - is that true? Is it possible
to give via group policy to PhysicalDrive normal user rights?
I found the utility WINOBJ.EXE .With this I can change permissions to
PhysicalDrive0 but when I had to reboot the PC the permission went back to
original state.

I thank you in advance fro your kind attention and cooperation.
Best regards,

Nicola Micheli

!