Comcast HD DVR in Richmond at last

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 6, 2004 1:25:08 AM

Comcast is finally offering the SA 8000HD HD+DVR set top box in
Chesterfield (unsure of rest of area)

$9.95/month

Installation tomorrow... report to follow.

More about : comcast dvr richmond

Anonymous
August 7, 2004 12:15:05 AM

"Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Comcast is finally offering the SA 8000HD HD+DVR set top box in
> Chesterfield (unsure of rest of area)
>
> $9.95/month
>
> Installation tomorrow... report to follow.

SA8000HD delivered as promised
Works great

New features from older SA3000HD
- zoom and stretch for 4:3 to 16:9
- two tuners and high bandwidth return channel (for future stuff like video
phone over IP)
- HD/cable mixed mode PIP - PIP regardless of what you are watching
- the DVR (of course)
- optical and coax digital audio outs
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 12:44:54 AM

> New features from older SA3000HD
> - zoom and stretch for 4:3 to 16:9
> - two tuners and high bandwidth return channel (for future stuff like
> video
> phone over IP)

Just curious.....has ANYONE ever seen "future stuff" ports or features on a
piece of hi-fi or video gear ever really enabled? I surely haven't!
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 5:56:13 PM

"Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message

> "Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > New features from older SA3000HD
> > - zoom and stretch for 4:3 to 16:9
> > - two tuners and high bandwidth return channel (for future stuff like
> > video
> > phone over IP)
>

> Just curious.....has ANYONE ever seen "future stuff" ports or features on
> piece of hi-fi or video gear ever really enabled? I surely haven't!

Nope

A few year's ago, I was my corporation's technical liaison to TCI (the
forerunner to AT&T and then to Comcast).

IMO, the real issue is that the technology is far far in front of the
business - particularly the pricing models. The business people (who run the
show) are like kids in a candy shop (or deer in the highway) - surrounded by
shiny options and potentials they barely understand, all of which require
really powerful STB's in the majority of homes.

They like and want everything, but can't figure out which to do first or how
to make money on it. And making money is important - it's amazing how much
money is invested in the cable systems. Think about it... to install a new
Explorer or Moto box to 10,000 homes costs millions of dollars. SA alone is
selling $2 billion a year in boxes.

So as a result, things are going slowly. VOD, DVR's, and VoIP phone service
seems to be the apps of the day.

Cable companies have a fundamental problem, people don't want to give them
any more money. They've tapped us out.
So all those nice to have's (that cost the cable guys money) are going to
wait unless we want to pay for them.
!