HELP!!!!!! Damn AOL.....

still_life

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
Hi

I have a cable internet connection (NOT DSL) but we are with AOL and want a wireless network

All the wirless routers for AOL are DSL...but we on a CABLE connection!!!!!

All the wirless routers i've found for CABLE don't work with AOL!!!!!!

Do we need an ISP change or is there a product out there that is cable and will work with AOL?????????

Thanx

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Firstly, AOL is the devil. Secondly, wireless routers shouldn't care what internet connection or ISP you have. Just pick up a decent wireless router online or from a local shop and hook it up. There will be a WAN port for your cable modem to plug into and most likely 4 LAN ports for computers as well as b/g wireless.
I've had good luck with the Linksys WRT54GL as well as the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 in low cost home setups.

You will definatly have to turn off your modem, let it sit for a while, then connect it to the new router. Anything beyond that shouldn't be necissary as far as getting internet goes. Every cable service I've delt with simply hands out an IP address, no login required. I've seen them install software to run through login bs but it really wasnt needed.

Pick up a router, plug it in, and give it a shot. If AOL cable service isn't going to let you use a router of your choice that is plain bs.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
What Folken said is true. The router should not make any difference. Why in the world do you want to use the AOL Virus. It has single handedly destroy more pc than most virus and hackers.

Once the router is setup. When you launch AOL change your connection to local network. And everything should work. But if you are using it to filter. All the user needs to do is connect using FF or any browser.

still_life

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
Problem is i've tried quite a few routers. AOL needs to connect to the internet much like dial-up. If you stick a router between it and the modem it gets all confused and it can't connect. AOL says it needs routers that have been configured to work with it. But they are all for DSL!!!

Bah, your right, AOL does suck. Maby it would just be easier switching to NTL. Which would be better, AOL DSL or NTL Cable?????

You need to put your account information: password and id into the router.
The router gives you a connection on all the time.
You just open your browser and you are on the internet.
You also need to reconfigure your computer, so it recognizes that you have a LAN. You are no longer on dial-up.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Problem is i've tried quite a few routers. AOL needs to connect to the internet much like dial-up. If you stick a router between it and the modem it gets all confused and it can't connect. AOL says it needs routers that have been configured to work with it. But they are all for DSL!!! ...
You are thinking too much about this. Quit trying to look on AOL as anything special or requiring special equipment.

AOL will work - just set the connection method to broadband. I doesn't care what router you are using, whether you are DSL or cable or corporate proxie to a T1. On the "Location" drop down box, just select "Broadband" and your on.

Latest posts