Sign in with
Your question

DS3, SATA II, bios question

Last response: in Systems
February 21, 2007 12:29:48 AM

My new build is up and running, but I don't think I have the bios right for the SATA II HD.

Right now I'm settin at:

1. SATA AHCI mode disabled
2. SATA Port 0-3 Native mode disabled
3. Onboard sata/ide device enabled
4. Onboard sata/ide control mode IDE

What are the proper settings? I don't think I'm 100% off, but real close. I also forgot to check to see if there was a 150 jumper on the seagate hd.

I read somewhere that if I enable AHCI, I will need a new driver to support it. What driver and where can I get it? Wouldn't it be on the MS install disk?

More about : ds3 sata bios question

February 21, 2007 12:59:38 AM

1. Enable AHCI
2. Sata Native Mode Enabled
3. Leave enabled
4. Leave alone (unless you are using the Blue/Purple Sata II connectors)

boot from cd rom to set up xp. Press f6 to install Drivers.
check manual for which 1 you need (i dont remember)
Setup XP
February 21, 2007 1:05:00 AM

Thanks weilin. That last statement, setup XP - you talkin bios changes & reboot?
Related resources
February 21, 2007 1:15:55 AM

no let me clarify.

steps 1-4 is in bios. After that its in windows Setup.

WHen you put in the XP CD Rom, and do the "press any key to boot from CD ROM..." you will be greeted with a blue screen.

Somewhere on the bottom on the screen will have hte words "press f6 to setup RAID or SCSI drivers" or something like that... Press F6.

After Setup loads a few things it will give u a prompt to insert the floppy disk to load the drivers for NCQ and Hotswap Capabilities (the only real difference between SATA I and SATA II)

Insert floppy, find select the proper driver (i dont know the right 1 off the top of my head)

Continue setup like any other installation. (pick hard drive, format, install etc).
February 21, 2007 1:36:44 AM

Thats what I was afraid you meant. I really don't want to reinstall windows and start over. If that's what it takes, I guess I'll byte the bullet.
!