DS3, SATA II, bios question

billyc

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
My new build is up and running, but I don't think I have the bios right for the SATA II HD.

Right now I'm settin at:

1. SATA AHCI mode disabled
2. SATA Port 0-3 Native mode disabled
3. Onboard sata/ide device enabled
4. Onboard sata/ide control mode IDE

What are the proper settings? I don't think I'm 100% off, but real close. I also forgot to check to see if there was a 150 jumper on the seagate hd.

I read somewhere that if I enable AHCI, I will need a new driver to support it. What driver and where can I get it? Wouldn't it be on the MS install disk?

weilin

Distinguished
1. Enable AHCI
2. Sata Native Mode Enabled
3. Leave enabled
4. Leave alone (unless you are using the Blue/Purple Sata II connectors)

boot from cd rom to set up xp. Press f6 to install Drivers.
check manual for which 1 you need (i dont remember)
Setup XP

weilin

Distinguished
no let me clarify.

steps 1-4 is in bios. After that its in windows Setup.

WHen you put in the XP CD Rom, and do the "press any key to boot from CD ROM..." you will be greeted with a blue screen.

Somewhere on the bottom on the screen will have hte words "press f6 to setup RAID or SCSI drivers" or something like that... Press F6.

After Setup loads a few things it will give u a prompt to insert the floppy disk to load the drivers for NCQ and Hotswap Capabilities (the only real difference between SATA I and SATA II)

Insert floppy, find select the proper driver (i dont know the right 1 off the top of my head)

Continue setup like any other installation. (pick hard drive, format, install etc).

billyc

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
Thats what I was afraid you meant. I really don't want to reinstall windows and start over. If that's what it takes, I guess I'll byte the bullet.