Crap Pc Instantly shuts off after new tuniq installation

lx_flier

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
So i got my tuniq tower today, i took my mobo off put the plate on the back put mobo in and added thermal paste on cpu and the tuniq tower mounted on top. i put my ram in vga card, hard drive and dvd-rw. When i try to boot pc the fans turn on and everything instantly shuts back off the comp worked before so i dont know whats going on i know everything is connected properly except maybe the little white pins in the right bottom corner i think that might be the cause so does anyone have a picture of how those go or any other suggestions (i have a p5n-e i get no beeps and comp worked before took mobo out and repluged all in (i still see green light))

lx_flier

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
my tuniq came with a piece of paper under it and i took that off then i mounted it put some artic silver 5 and placed the tuniq over it mounted the h plate and the four screws and connected the fan. The only problem i see is that the tuniq was mounted vertically not horizontaly (a capacitor was in the way) and i can see a little bit of the processor still... so i should probably try remounting it right?

Pompeii

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Are you saying you can see your processor? If so, that is not good. Remount the heatsink it correctly if you can, but do not bend or damage anything on the motherboard while trying to do so. Make sure the heatsink is flush with the processor, with an appropriate layer of thermal compound between them.

I cannot stress this enough - do not force the heatsink on! If you simply cannot get the heatsink on without doing harm to the motherboard, return the heatsink and find another.

lx_flier

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
well i tried forcing it on (this time you couldnt see what it was even touching :wink: )anyways and i got it on it slightly bent 2 of my capictors but i have the same problem sooooo.... im going to take it off and try the stock tommorow if same problem occurs its probably because i wiered something wrong :( So can anyone tell me how those wieres on the bottom right corner go i have them setup like this

-------------------
Hdled powersw restartsw (this is back row)

and i have 1 pin connectors called +p led and and another - p led

randomizer

Champion
Seeing the processor does not mean something is wrong if thats the design of the HS. I dunno about the tuniq tower, but my HS has a roundbase and so the corners of the IHS are all exposed. Its not an issue coz thats not where the heat really is. Although mine is a single core A64, so the centre of heat dissipation on yours may be different especially if its dual/quad core. Does the tuniq have a round or square base?

lx_flier

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
its square, i know thats not how it is supposed to look but it was the only way i could get it on. I tried forcing it on which seemed to work couldnt see any part of the processor but the computer turned on all fans led's etc.. then 2-3 seconds turns off their would be no cables that i forgot to plug in that would do this correct?

NotAPimecone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Seeing the processor does not mean something is wrong if thats the design of the HS. I dunno about the tuniq tower, but my HS has a roundbase and so the corners of the IHS are all exposed. Its not an issue coz thats not where the heat really is. Although mine is a single core A64, so the centre of heat dissipation on yours may be different especially if its dual/quad core. Does the tuniq have a round or square base?
http://www.tuniq.com.tw/Cooler Info/Tower-120.htm

You definitely shouldn't be able to see any part of the processor whe it's correctly installed, the base that contacts the CPU is enormous. It has a fan that is intended to blow in the direction of airflow through the case (front to back).

edited below

Still, what motherboard do you have, lx_flier? It must be pretty cramped, the tuniq doesn't have that big of a footprint. It fits fine on my DS3.

randomizer

Champion
Well if you put the 20/24 pin cable in wrong it might. But I doubt you tried forcing that one, coz it just isnt going in more than one way. Every pin hole is keyed so you are going to have resistance in 24 locations, right before you crack your mobo. Actually if you managed to get it in wrong (and I commend you if you can) it probably just wouldnt turn on. Did you make sure the 4-pin 12V cable is in? My pc didnt start till I plugged it in. Didnt do what yours did, fans stayed on and all, but nothing happened.

NotAPimecone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Yeah... you're not the one having trouble fitting the Tuniq on without bending capacitors, the OP is.

and.. I just saw it tucked away in the original post that it's a P5N-E :oops:

lx_flier

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
HECK YES! i got it on :) i decided to just go for it and really force those capacitors they seem to be taking it pretty well though and if it ever falls off (only hitting one now) ill just weld it back on :lol: . I also have a lexa mid tower and i am dead serious you cant even put a piece of paper between the tuniq tower and the lexa's side support bar, they are that close! I was able to pull down my temps from 51 @2.6ghz to 42 @ 3.2! and the artic silver has only been on for 20+ min's. Anyways ill upload some pics tomorrow of the end result if you guys want to see them and thanks for the help! Oh btw i dont know if tuniq's are still rare but i got mine from performance-pcs.com for less then 60$ including shipping, in case anyone is looking for one :wink:

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
When i try to boot pc the fans turn on and everything instantly shuts back off the comp worked before....

A short/bad pwr-on switch or PSU took a dump.

Pull all the plugs from the PSU and short the GREEN and BLACK wires on the main MB connector from the PSU...if the PSU's fan will not keep spinning then you need a new PSU.

If it does stay spinning then you can start looking for whatever is causing the short.

To check if the pwr-on button has gone bad dissconnect it from the MB and use a screwdriver to short the pins on the MB....if it boots then the switch was bad.

To look for other shorts start with just the CPU and 1 stick of RAM....no HD/GFX/SOUND cards...if the PSU's fan will not keep spining you either have a short from when you put the MB back into the case OR a cap on the MB died (dead MB).
If it does keep spinning then add the GFX card....just keep checking 1 item at a time.

EDIT: I see you got it working...I only read the first post. "Instantly" is not the same thing as 2-3 secs later.

lx_flier

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
i said the fans turn on and then it instantly shuts off, it takes 2-3 secs for those fans to turn on... But it all works now so thanks for trying to help :wink: