cannieman

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
I have a Buffalo LinkStation sat on my network. I cannot access it though. I can access the web based admin page and I can ping it - I can even see device in my workgroup in Microsoft Windows Network. Every time I try to type the address i.e. "\\150.1.0.3\share" it says it cannot find it. When I try to access it through Microsoft Windows Network, it says I don't have the right permissions. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

still_life

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
Not too sure, but from what i've experianced with buffalo products i'd say buy something else lol.

I have a problem where i keep loosing my connection to the buffalo router. i've tried everything, so help me out too if you can 8)

thnx

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
You may need to set a password for your PC. Then set your user ID to match your login name in the NAS. Hope this helps. I don't have or use buffalo hardware.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I have a Buffalo LinkStation sat on my network. I cannot access it though. I can access the web based admin page and I can ping it - I can even see device in my workgroup in Microsoft Windows Network. Every time I try to type the address i.e. "\\150.1.0.3\share" it says it cannot find it. When I try to access it through Microsoft Windows Network, it says I don't have the right permissions. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.
I have installed a Buffalo Linkstation Pro, and your IP address seems odd. Are you sure that is the IP for your Linkstation?

Have you set up any username or group access restrictions on your Linkstation?

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Not too sure, but from what i've experianced with buffalo products i'd say buy something else lol.

I have a problem where i keep loosing my connection to the buffalo router. i've tried everything, so help me out too if you can 8)

thnx
Very helpful. :roll:

cannieman

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Hi, I have the DHCP server on my router issue an "odd" IP address on purpose. Normal would be 192.168.xx.xx, though I'm often connected to a remote network via VPN where the 192.168.xx.xx range is reserved for local devices. So I configured the router to issue a different range as not to confuse things when connected to the VPN.

I have created some users, however in the securty setup of the shared folder, have disabled the access restriction.

I have another PC on the network which can access the LinkStation with no problems. Confused...

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Check your firewall settings on the pc having access problems, if you have the NAS set or free access. I have discovered on some of these small NAS that some times they need to reboot to load the changes. Call it work around for firmware bug's.

cannieman

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2006
Sir you have it! I closed my firewall and renewed the IP address on the problem PC. Access is now granted. I should have spotted this as in the attached devices list in the router admin, the Device Name was prviously liste as "unknown", now it's the PC name.

Thanks.

Do you know what I have to do to Zone Alarm to allow the computer name to be broadcast to the router (assuming this is what I have to do)?

Regards

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
It's been a long time since I was in Zone Alarm's firewall. But if I recall you can add an exception to allow your subnet. That way you can see all of your hardware on your network.