  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
May 11, 2005 4:47:48 PM

Hi evryone,

Here is my problem.

Server A
Machine logged in with UserA Password1
DirectoryA shared giving access to user UserA Password1

Server B
Machine logged in with UserA Password2
DirectoryA accessed via a mapped drive or Network neighbourhood
I was prompted for the user name and Password (I used UserA Password1)

We wanted to make the password the same on both machines.

So I disconnected any mapped drive/directory appearing under Network Places
on Server B (logically it should have removed any reference to Server A
beeing associated with UserA Password1)
I disabled the share on Server A
I changed the password on Server A so that it would use UserA Password2
I reset the share giving access to UserA Password2

Then I went to reconnect to the Share from Server B.
I am told access denied because the User name and Password associated with
Server A is not correct.

I am thinking that somewhere on Server B the old password is till associated
with UserA Password1, cached maybe.

There were no mapped drives related to Servert 1 before I changed the
password.

Questions:

How can I find this "hidden" association between Server A and "UserA
Password1"? And how can I reset it to accept the new password?

Thank you for any suggestion you may provide!!!

Corinne

More about : cached share credentials

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 13, 2005 3:46:04 AM

You can use the commands net use and net session to view and delete any
sessions. A reboot for sure should clear things up. Windows XP can use
"stored credentials" and mapped drives can use persistent credentials that
also need to be changed to reflect new passwords. --- Steve

"corinne" <corinnetalaboulma@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi evryone,
>
> Here is my problem.
>
> Server A
> Machine logged in with UserA Password1
> DirectoryA shared giving access to user UserA Password1
>
> Server B
> Machine logged in with UserA Password2
> DirectoryA accessed via a mapped drive or Network neighbourhood
> I was prompted for the user name and Password (I used UserA Password1)
>
> We wanted to make the password the same on both machines.
>
> So I disconnected any mapped drive/directory appearing under Network
> Places on Server B (logically it should have removed any reference to
> Server A beeing associated with UserA Password1)
> I disabled the share on Server A
> I changed the password on Server A so that it would use UserA Password2
> I reset the share giving access to UserA Password2
>
> Then I went to reconnect to the Share from Server B.
> I am told access denied because the User name and Password associated with
> Server A is not correct.
>
> I am thinking that somewhere on Server B the old password is till
> associated with UserA Password1, cached maybe.
>
> There were no mapped drives related to Servert 1 before I changed the
> password.
>
> Questions:
>
> How can I find this "hidden" association between Server A and "UserA
> Password1"? And how can I reset it to accept the new password?
>
> Thank you for any suggestion you may provide!!!
>

> Corinne

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 13, 2005 12:37:45 PM

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply I will try these solutions.

Ta!

Corinne

!