cached share credentials?

Hi evryone,

Here is my problem.

Server A
Machine logged in with UserA Password1
DirectoryA shared giving access to user UserA Password1

Server B
Machine logged in with UserA Password2
DirectoryA accessed via a mapped drive or Network neighbourhood
I was prompted for the user name and Password (I used UserA Password1)

We wanted to make the password the same on both machines.

So I disconnected any mapped drive/directory appearing under Network Places
on Server B (logically it should have removed any reference to Server A
beeing associated with UserA Password1)
I disabled the share on Server A
I changed the password on Server A so that it would use UserA Password2
I reset the share giving access to UserA Password2

Then I went to reconnect to the Share from Server B.
I am told access denied because the User name and Password associated with
Server A is not correct.

I am thinking that somewhere on Server B the old password is till associated
with UserA Password1, cached maybe.

There were no mapped drives related to Servert 1 before I changed the
password.

Questions:

How can I find this "hidden" association between Server A and "UserA
Password1"? And how can I reset it to accept the new password?

Thank you for any suggestion you may provide!!!

Corinne
2 answers Last reply
More about cached share credentials

    You can use the commands net use and net session to view and delete any
    sessions. A reboot for sure should clear things up. Windows XP can use
    "stored credentials" and mapped drives can use persistent credentials that
    also need to be changed to reflect new passwords. --- Steve

    "corinne" <corinnetalaboulma@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi evryone,
    >
    > Here is my problem.
    >
    > Server A
    > Machine logged in with UserA Password1
    > DirectoryA shared giving access to user UserA Password1
    >
    > Server B
    > Machine logged in with UserA Password2
    > DirectoryA accessed via a mapped drive or Network neighbourhood
    > I was prompted for the user name and Password (I used UserA Password1)
    >
    > We wanted to make the password the same on both machines.
    >
    > So I disconnected any mapped drive/directory appearing under Network
    > Places on Server B (logically it should have removed any reference to
    > Server A beeing associated with UserA Password1)
    > I disabled the share on Server A
    > I changed the password on Server A so that it would use UserA Password2
    > I reset the share giving access to UserA Password2
    >
    > Then I went to reconnect to the Share from Server B.
    > I am told access denied because the User name and Password associated with
    > Server A is not correct.
    >
    > I am thinking that somewhere on Server B the old password is till
    > associated with UserA Password1, cached maybe.
    >
    > There were no mapped drives related to Servert 1 before I changed the
    > password.
    >
    > Questions:
    >
    > How can I find this "hidden" association between Server A and "UserA
    > Password1"? And how can I reset it to accept the new password?
    >
    > Thank you for any suggestion you may provide!!!
    >

    > Corinne

    Hi Steve,

    Thank you for your reply I will try these solutions.

    Ta!

    Corinne

    > You can use the commands net use and net session to view and delete any
    > sessions. A reboot for sure should clear things up. Windows XP can use
    > "stored credentials" and mapped drives can use persistent credentials that
    > also need to be changed to reflect new passwords. --- Steve
    >

    > "corinne" <corinnetalaboulma@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi evryone,
    >>
    >> Here is my problem.
    >>
    >> Server A
    >> Machine logged in with UserA Password1
    >> DirectoryA shared giving access to user UserA Password1
    >>
    >> Server B
    >> Machine logged in with UserA Password2
    >> DirectoryA accessed via a mapped drive or Network neighbourhood
    >> I was prompted for the user name and Password (I used UserA Password1)
    >>
    >> We wanted to make the password the same on both machines.
    >>
    >> So I disconnected any mapped drive/directory appearing under Network
    >> Places on Server B (logically it should have removed any reference to
    >> Server A beeing associated with UserA Password1)
    >> I disabled the share on Server A
    >> I changed the password on Server A so that it would use UserA Password2
    >> I reset the share giving access to UserA Password2
    >>
    >> Then I went to reconnect to the Share from Server B.
    >> I am told access denied because the User name and Password associated
    >> with Server A is not correct.
    >>
    >> I am thinking that somewhere on Server B the old password is till
    >> associated with UserA Password1, cached maybe.
    >>
    >> There were no mapped drives related to Servert 1 before I changed the
    >> password.
    >>
    >> Questions:
    >>
    >> How can I find this "hidden" association between Server A and "UserA
    >> Password1"? And how can I reset it to accept the new password?
    >>
    >> Thank you for any suggestion you may provide!!!
    >>

    >> Corinne

Security Servers Microsoft Windows