Basic NTFS question

Stephanie

I created a global group and I would like this group to have
FULL CONTROL on a shared folder and ALL of it's subcontainers. The
problem is, many of the subcontainers (probably over 1000) have
specific permissions set on them, so I do not want to reset all folders
to inherit permissions from parent, because some should not have
"everyone". Is there a way just to trickle down (add) 1 group and give
them full control on everything without disrupting existing permissions
sub-folders? Thanks in advanced!

In article <B2DAC6F2-5A5B-4CCD-B8DE-59F41AC6723A@microsoft.com>, in the
microsoft.public.win2000.security news group, =?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhhbmll?=
<Stephanie@discussions.microsoft.com> says...

> I created a global group and I would like this group to have
> FULL CONTROL on a shared folder and ALL of it's subcontainers. The
> problem is, many of the subcontainers (probably over 1000) have
> specific permissions set on them, so I do not want to reset all folders
> to inherit permissions from parent, because some should not have
> "everyone". Is there a way just to trickle down (add) 1 group and give
> them full control on everything without disrupting existing permissions
> sub-folders? Thanks in advanced!

Have a look at the CACLA command. The /E switch will accomplish what you
want.

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Windows - Virtual Machine

In article <MPG.1cebf47016ad5877989d6e@msnews.microsoft.com>, in the
microsoft.public.win2000.security news group, Paul Adare
<padare@newsguy.com> says...

> CACLA

Sorry, CACLS

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Windows - Virtual Machine
http://www.identit.ca/blogs/paul/
Scientists were excited this week at having isolated a brief sound which
occurred immediately before the Big Bang.
Apparently, the sound was, "uh oh".

Barry

Stephanie wrote:
> I created a global group and I would like this group to have
> FULL CONTROL on a shared folder and ALL of it's subcontainers. The
> problem is, many of the subcontainers (probably over 1000) have
> specific permissions set on them, so I do not want to reset all folders
> to inherit permissions from parent, because some should not have
> "everyone". Is there a way just to trickle down (add) 1 group and give
> them full control on everything without disrupting existing permissions
> sub-folders? Thanks in advanced!

Taht depends on how you've set the permissions below the directory. If
they are inheriting and you've just added extra premissions then jsut
add the group at the top-most directory. Other than that, you'll have to
use cacls as previously mentioned