Basic NTFS question

I created a global group and I would like this group to have
FULL CONTROL on a shared folder and ALL of it's subcontainers. The
problem is, many of the subcontainers (probably over 1000) have
specific permissions set on them, so I do not want to reset all folders
to inherit permissions from parent, because some should not have
"everyone". Is there a way just to trickle down (add) 1 group and give
them full control on everything without disrupting existing permissions
sub-folders? Thanks in advanced!
3 answers Last reply
More about basic ntfs question

    In article <B2DAC6F2-5A5B-4CCD-B8DE-59F41AC6723A@microsoft.com>, in the
    microsoft.public.win2000.security news group, =?Utf-8?B?U3RlcGhhbmll?=
    <Stephanie@discussions.microsoft.com> says...

    > I created a global group and I would like this group to have
    > FULL CONTROL on a shared folder and ALL of it's subcontainers. The
    > problem is, many of the subcontainers (probably over 1000) have
    > specific permissions set on them, so I do not want to reset all folders
    > to inherit permissions from parent, because some should not have
    > "everyone". Is there a way just to trickle down (add) 1 group and give
    > them full control on everything without disrupting existing permissions
    > sub-folders? Thanks in advanced!

    Have a look at the CACLA command. The /E switch will accomplish what you
    want.

    --
    Paul Adare
    MVP - Windows - Virtual Machine

    In article <MPG.1cebf47016ad5877989d6e@msnews.microsoft.com>, in the
    microsoft.public.win2000.security news group, Paul Adare
    <padare@newsguy.com> says...

    > CACLA

    Sorry, CACLS

    --

    Stephanie wrote:
    > I created a global group and I would like this group to have
    > FULL CONTROL on a shared folder and ALL of it's subcontainers. The
    > problem is, many of the subcontainers (probably over 1000) have
    > specific permissions set on them, so I do not want to reset all folders
    > to inherit permissions from parent, because some should not have
    > "everyone". Is there a way just to trickle down (add) 1 group and give
    > them full control on everything without disrupting existing permissions
    > sub-folders? Thanks in advanced!

    Taht depends on how you've set the permissions below the directory. If
    they are inheriting and you've just added extra premissions then jsut
    add the group at the top-most directory. Other than that, you'll have to
    use cacls as previously mentioned

Permissions Security NTFS Microsoft Basic Windows