Sign in with
Your question

Video Card Temps?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 21, 2007 2:27:36 AM

I have an XFX 6800XT video card and when I used the stock PSU it idled at about 50C and when playing games it rarely went above 60C. Then I bought a Corsair 620w PSU and it idles at about 70C and breaks 80 just in the beginning minutes of oblivion! XFX has set the core slowdown thresh-hold to 125C I still wonder if my temps are too high.

So are are my card's temps ok?

Note: I am planning on getting the XFX 7950GT and will probably over clock that. I order the 8800GTS but it won't fit in my case!!!

More about : video card temps

February 21, 2007 7:11:57 AM

Yeah, I barely squeezed my 8800GTS in the case...they're too big! And 8800GTX is even bigger!
Maybe it's time for them to start myking external USB GPU's?!?! :D 

MY card is 65 C idle, around 80 loaded...a bit high, yes...
What'll happen when I OC it, I wonder?
February 21, 2007 8:24:02 AM

I was joking, but that really seems not so far from the truth...
In fact, sooner or later someone will think of it.
Inside if the case just became too populated.
Along with its own PSU it wil probably have its own turbo-mega-extra-ZXR4000 cooler... :D 
Related resources
February 21, 2007 8:42:45 AM

Sounds like an idea...dude, if you sometime pull this off you deserve a statue.
And a lifetime NVidia/ATI supply of free products.... :twisted:
February 21, 2007 9:20:11 AM

No problems, just lemme know when you succeed and we'll split the profits... :D 
February 21, 2007 10:28:59 AM

Yeah, we aren't the first that thought of that...
February 21, 2007 10:41:46 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't that be nice. It's looking more like a matter of money. It's looking like i'll be able to do this.

I'll have to get a couple of these and see if i can adabt it for my needs.

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_1286.html

Problem is i'm in the US.

A very interesting idea, mpilchfamily. :) 

I've never seen a pci-e riser before. I take it they are usually used for fitting cards in cases where space is limited?

If you're looking for one of those cards in the US...

http://mypccase.stores.yahoo.net/2uhepc16rica.html

I think it's the same or similar to the one you linked before.

This one looks along the same lines too. Cheaper as well :D 
http://www.sundialmicro.com/Cooler-Master-Riser-Card-rc...
February 21, 2007 10:44:32 AM

Hehe, I guess I had this thread open for a while and never refreshed before I replied. :oops: 
February 21, 2007 11:27:48 PM

well i already sent back the 8800gts, but thanks for giving me ideas, i had no idea they made extensions. The problem is I'm working off the stock Dimension 5100 case, and even though hardly anything left in there is stock, the cases were not designed for someone with a lot of add ons. I had a hell of a time trying to wire all my additions, its still cluttered as hell, but i moved it away from my cpu, video card, and ram as much as possible.

Here is all the crap i have in it, the stuff in green is everything i have added that was after market

You can see things were a little less cluttered with old PS, but again the case just wasn't designed for it,

I would just get a new case, but if i get a new case, then I'm gonna want a new mobo, so i can overclock my cpu, cuz stupid dell boards are locked on the 5100's *shakes fist at dell*, and I'd also want more sata ports built in and more pic 16x slots.
and then i'd say might as well get a new CPU... you see where I'm going?

But another question, how hard is it to change the stock cooling system on a graphics card, because i had a hell of a time trying to make my PSU go in my case?
And the 7950gt that I am planing on getting has no heat sink, and if I added a fan I could probably over clock it like crazy! Click here to see no fan! the most silent card ever! lol

Thanks again for your time
February 23, 2007 12:10:48 AM

Quote:
If you add a fan to that card you will want to add it to the heappipes there on the side of the card. No need to replace that cooler. Just add a fan to the heatpipes that will blow the hot air twards the top of the case and your all set.

ok, and how does that get attached with hot glue? lol
March 1, 2007 9:28:43 PM

Hi people

When you have an inconvenient, like the VC running that hot, you can purchase what i did, a dumb PC card with fans, check this out:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

In my 7950GT 256MB foxconn VC, the idle temp went down from 62-60C to 52-54C, under load from 72-70C to 65-67C (it varies on the hour you measure the temp, the intake air is cooler at night than at noon)
Consider that I have a Thermaltake tsunami case, it works very good to handle all the temp inside you system.
!