How can I backup/export / copy the SAM file for password a..

Hi , is there a documented procedure on how can I export /copy the SAM
database running on W2K DC for password auditing ?

George
3 answers Last reply
More about backup export copy file password

    Windows 2000 domain controllers do not store domain users in the sam file.
    Active Directory uses ntds.dit. I know of know way to do what you want with
    that file. You would need to be logged on as a domain admin to use a program
    like LC5 to audit passwords. --- Steve

    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/Windows2000/AdminTips/ActiveDirectory/ActiveDirectorydatabasefileNTDS.DIT.html
    http://www.atstake.com/products/lc/faq.html --- FAQ for LC5.

    "Norman" <GeorgeNorman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi , is there a documented procedure on how can I export /copy the SAM
    > database running on W2K DC for password auditing ?
    >
    > George

    Whatever password auditing software you choose to use will have instructions
    or will do it for you. L0phtcrack does. I believe PWdump3 is one such
    utility.

    Norman wrote:
    > Hi , is there a documented procedure on how can I export /copy the SAM
    > database running on W2K DC for password auditing ?
    >
    > George

    I believe there's one on the emergency rescue disk?

Security Backup Microsoft Windows