How can I backup/export / copy the SAM file for password a..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 14, 2005 4:50:32 PM

Hi , is there a documented procedure on how can I export /copy the SAM
database running on W2K DC for password auditing ?

George

More about : backup export copy sam file password

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 14, 2005 7:58:36 PM

Windows 2000 domain controllers do not store domain users in the sam file.
Active Directory uses ntds.dit. I know of know way to do what you want with
that file. You would need to be logged on as a domain admin to use a program
like LC5 to audit passwords. --- Steve

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/Wind...
http://www.atstake.com/products/lc/faq.html --- FAQ for LC5.

"Norman" <GeorgeNorman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi , is there a documented procedure on how can I export /copy the SAM
> database running on W2K DC for password auditing ?
>
> George

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 14, 2005 9:26:10 PM

Whatever password auditing software you choose to use will have instructions
or will do it for you. L0phtcrack does. I believe PWdump3 is one such
utility.

"Norman" <GeorgeNorman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi , is there a documented procedure on how can I export /copy the SAM
> database running on W2K DC for password auditing ?
>
> George

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 15, 2005 12:53:18 AM

Norman wrote:
> Hi , is there a documented procedure on how can I export /copy the SAM
> database running on W2K DC for password auditing ?
>
> George

I believe there's one on the emergency rescue disk?